What vegetables do you like (or should I say, tolerate?)

markr6

Flashaholic
Lately I've been trying to get more vegetables. I wouldn't call any of them delicious, but there are several that I don't mind. Most importantly, I want them raw. Steaming is OK, but I refuse to eat anything cooked and boiled down into pure nothing. One may be able to debate the nutrition quality after cooking, but I don't want to chance it.

So, here's what I've been eating almost daily for raw veggies lately:

- One bell pepper (green, orange, red, yellow - whatever is on sale)
- Approximatley 1/3 cucumber
- Few pre-sliced carrots
- 1 tbsp ranch for dipping

Anyone else trying to get more veggies in their diet?

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
I'll eat any kind of veggie in any form, with gusto. Every year I grow tomatoes, cukes, green peppers, squash, lettuce, and sometimes hot peppers. The restaurant my wife and I go to most often is called "Sweet Tomatoes" (all you can eat salad and soup). Kind of a no guilt pig-out. But, while I like veggies, I'm just as happy with fish, meat, cheese, and sweets.

Geoff

Steve K

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm not trying to eat more veggies, but just a regular amount. Some carrots with lunch (as well as a couple of pieces of fruit), and a serving with supper. Broccoli (steamed or stir fried), green beans (microwaved), peas, corn, etc. Nothing fancy.
If I had a garden, it would be great to get truly fresh veggies. I used to love eating peas from the vine! Same for tomatoes, sweet corn, etc.

I suppose it would be good for me to reduce the amount of meat I eat and substitute beans or other veggies containing proteins.

zespectre

Flashlight Enthusiast
On the whole, I'm not a veggie person. I eat them because they are supposed to be good for me.

Having said that I do love peas, string beans, and summer squash
I like cucumbers, especially with some blue cheese dressing (just a dab is enough).
I go in spurts with small carrots but they have to be fresh
I used to hate celery, now I like it especially with a little peanut butter

I still can't stand Spinach or cauliflower at all.

jabe1

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'll eat most veggies, excepting Rutabaga, Zucchini, and Beets.
I grow Heirloom Tomatoes, Cucumbers, Beans, Lima beans, peppers and Lettuce (also have a peach tree and some berry bushes).
My sister-in-law has a small farm and keeps us in Sweetcorn, Carrots, and Onions.
Other relatives grow Pears, Garlic, Zucchini, and keep cattle and chickens.

We're trying to eat most foods harvested from known suppliers, and local.

A fresh summer salad with a little EVOO and Balsamic is hard to beat.

jtr1962

Flashaholic
I regularly eat broccoli, peas, corn, sometimes raw carrots as a snack. I'll eat tomatoes in salads, and I like tomato sauce. Peppers and celery are fine as parts of a larger dish, along with onions or garlic. I eat all kinds of beans. I'm not wild about spinach but I'll eat it if it's put in front of me. A lot of what I eat is pasta or rice. I eat a lot less meat than the average American. In a good week I'll have a few ounces of meat as part of dinner maybe four or five times. In a bad week I'll eat meat once. I actually have to make a conscious effort to eat enough meat to keep my B vitamin levels up. Back in 2006 I ended up with a B12 deficiency. I enjoy meat but it's just too expensive to have regularly.

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
+

>>>>>> I drink Low Sodium V8 juice every day,
I know it's really not vegetables, can't hurt though..

I'll eat any veggies, but don't particularly like cauliflower or cucumber

Jakeyb

Newly Enlightened
I really should eat more vegetables I eat a lot of fruits but it doesn't take the place of veggies. I just don't like many of them. I've tried but just can't get used to it.

markr6

Flashaholic
I still can't stand Spinach or cauliflower at all.

LOL I know cauliflower is unedible!!!

I forgot to mention I eat summer squash and zucchini often. Not raw but cooked lightly in a skillet with some extra virgin olive oil. By itself the tastes is a bit ripe, almost like something rotting. But I put a little pepper and some Mrs Dash on it and it's great!

TEEJ

Flashaholic
I will eat vegetarians, buts that's as close as I'll get.

:D

Monocrom

Flashaholic
A nice salad. So lettuce, tomatoes, cucumbers + the right dressing. Carrots by themselves. I like green peppers and thin sliced sausage on my Pizza. Other than that, that's pretty much it.

TEEJ

Flashaholic
Hmmm ... Not enough protein for me. :whistle:

Yeah, you might prefer to only eat predators.

I've eaten both, and, really, the vegetarians tend to taste better than the predators. There are exceptions both ways of course.

Omnivores can be a nice compromise, such as those things we get bacon from.

Bacon is my favorite vegetable if I HAD to pick one.

OCD

Enlightened
I like cauliflower and broccolli....raw w/ ranch or steamed. I like carrots raw only...no cooking or steaming Yuk!!. I like cucumbers when made as "sour cucumbers" which is vinager & water, a little sugar along with onions and tomatoes. Speaking of tomatoes, I like fresh tomatoes sliced up with a little salt. I like raw radishes, sweet orange & yellow peppers with some dressing....steamed asperagus when it's in season. I like the normal veggies like peas, corn and green beans. Spaghetti squash is pretty good when cooked with a little tomatoe sauce. Something different that I haven't had in years is what my family called "dilly beans". These are pickled greenbeans, made just like pickles. My parents have always had a garden and my mom used to make homemade dill pickles and pickled green beans.

Not too many veggies I don't eat. Celery (prepared any which way), sweet potatoes, and cooked spinach are the ones I won't touch.

Wow...can't believe I rambled on that long about vegetables!

EZO

Flashlight Enthusiast
I love fresh veggies and eat plenty of them all the time. That's partly because I love to garden and grow a lot of my own food. The stuff that comes fresh out of my organic garden has a flavor and texture you just can't buy in any store. This time of year is a little sad because the growing season is winding down but I actually just came in from harvesting some swiss chard, kale, red cabbage, tomatoes, carrots, red peppers and three types of lettuce which will all go into tonight's dinner along with some grass feed natural beef from a farm two miles up the road. Soon the first hard frost will hit us but the brussel spouts and kale just get better tasting after a frost. One reason for harvesting so much stuff tonight is indeed because the frost is coming.

Yeah, kale from the store does taste lousy. From my garden, the younger leaves are flavorful enough and tender enough to use in salad.

Em50e8K.jpg