WOW Sunshine at night!!!

SilverFox

Flashaholic
My hat's off to Dan at Tactical Warehouse. My TigerLight arrived a day ahead of schedule.

I got the TigerLight yesterday afternoon. I promptly took it along with my Mag 2D and my UK SL4 and checked the beam on a fence across the way. The TigerLight was pretty bright, but not what I expected.

I went inside and read the instructions... Oh, you are suspose to charge it before use. My heart started to beat a little faster. This thing is bright even in "moon" mode.

I noticed in previous postings that there was some sealing problems when changing the lens to the UCL glass one. Has this been resolved with the supplied O ring, or is it still an issue? Is the UCL lens worth getting?

Also, has anyone with an installed UCL lens hit it with a baseball bat, and did it break? Is the UCL lens durable?

By the way, I took my 15 year old outside after the TigerLight had been on the charger for a couple of hours and handed it to him. I instructed him not to point it in his face, nor my face, nor anyone elses face, do not point it at oncoming traffic, etc.

He turned it on, looked at it, shined it in my face, lit up everything in the block, then said "That's a lot of light dad, it's like looking at the sun."

We are happy.

Tom

bewshy

Newly Enlightened
Yeah the UCL is great. I bought 2 (keeping one as backup)and I didnt notice any stock o-ring problems. Of course your mileage may vary. I installed the flashlightlens.com o-ring anyways. Great product at a good price.

eb

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator
You should get about a 8%-9% increase in light transmission by using the UCL! I did not test for durability.

jtivat

Flashlight Enthusiast
You should also charge it fully for 10 hours before useing it.
smile.gif

Josh

Flashlight Enthusiast
The UCL is worth it, a senseable upgrade. I just got mine yesterday! It does seem whiter as I went back and forth with the stock poly carb and the UCL.

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello Roy,

Wow, 9% brighter than the sun... I think I'll get one.

Hello jtivat,

It has been on the charger all night. Now for some darkness to light up...

Thanks

Tom

brightnorm

Flashaholic
Originally posted by jtivat:
You should also charge it fully for 10 hours before useing it.
smile.gif
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">And don't turn it on while charging!

Monsters_Inc

Banned
Congrates, the power of the sun in your hands.
smile.gif
SilverFox - in dealing with teens, never tell them what NOT to do, cos that's the first thing they'll do (shine it in your eyes)!
wink.gif

LEDagent

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yea...the Tigerlight sure is bright! It is the only handheld light that can challenge my LSI 55w spotlight. In indoor situations, both lights are more than adequate to light up your surroundings. Which one would i rather carry? The Tigerlight of course!

Anyway, an easy way to judge whether or not there will be a difference between the stock lens and a UCL lens is to simply, remove the stock lens and use the light without a lens. I tried it, there really wasn't MUCH of a diffence, but you can tell that there was definately a change (for the brighter of course). But, with light characteristics aside, i would definately buy a UCL lens. My Surefire E2 has the old lexan lens, and it is pretty scratched up after 2 years as EDC. You can DEFINATELY see the scratches when you use the light indoors in close range. A glass lens from flashlightlens.com is a wise investment all around! I know i'm getting one soon.

Anyway, ENJOY your Tigerlight!

ksbman

Flashaholic*
I just put a UCL lens in my TigerLight tonight at work. While out on the ramp working I went to put the light in the ring holder on my belt and missed. The light fell about 3 feet to the concrete and shattered the lens. I bought 2 lenses; hopefully the second will last longer.

laynlow

Newly Enlightened
I received mine on Monday. It is indeed very bright. In fact, it is brighter than my Surefire 8NX or Z2. I have already ordered the UCL from flashlightlense.com and I am looking forward to using it.

My light had some crud inside the reflector and the stock lens came factory equipped with some scratches. The UCL should be a nice improvement. I also have a couple small nicks in the finish of the body. I have read similar remarks from others, so I guess that is par for the course. I also think I have an old style reflector because the batwings are severe. Maybe next month I will order the new style from TL. OTT this is a great light, and Dan's deal was too good to pass up!

LEDagent

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh yeah...i guess that's why Tigerlight decided to go with Lexan. I guess that's another thing you have to consider. Sure glass may transmit light better, and is less prone to being marred like Lexan is, glass is still breakable. A, breakable, glass lens would go against all that internal padding in the Tigerlight.

But...i'm still getting one. I've owned 2 or three maglight in my time, and the glass lens on them NEVER broke. It was always the switching mechanism or something.
grin.gif
grin.gif

NeonLights

Flashlight Enthusiast
I received my TigerLight last week from Dan, and was considering the UCL lens too, but wasn't sure about its durability. That helps answer my question. Sounds like it is durable for all but ralatively extreme impacts (like dropping 3-4 feet onto concrete).

Several times in past years when I've gone camping and forgotten a hammer to pound tent stakes, I discovered that a 3 D Cell Maglite makes a good hammer to pound tent stakes into hard ground (at least they are good for something), looks like I won't be doing that with a glass lens equipped light, Mag or Tiger.

-Keith

B@rt

Flashaholic
I "think" flashlightlens.com is working on a more "rugged" lense ,
winkie.GIF
but I'm not up to date on progressions...
bluesigh.gif

You will have to wait untill he replies...
winkie.GIF

SilverFox

Flashaholic
I just can't help myself...

At about 10:00a I looked at the full charged TigerLight and thought it spoke to me - "Use me... Use me."

It seemed like a reasonable request, so I grabbed my sunglasses and turned it on. I felt a little bit foolish runing around in mid day with my sunglasses and a flashlight, but I rationalized that I really "needed" to know the battery run time.

OK... "Hi, my name is Tom, and I am a Flashaholic."

I noticed that the light stayed pretty constant for about the first 45 minutes and then started to fade. At 55 minutes, it was pretty much over. This was the first charge on the battery, and I understand the run time gets a little better after a few cycles. I let the light cool down (about 30 minutes) and then turned it on again. Good bright light for about 2 minutes then fast fade to dim.

Back on the charger. After 5 hours of charge it was dark outside. I decided to see how much life was in the light after half a charge. Close to 30 minutes later I had my answer.

My question involves the relative constant brightness of the light. Is this light regulated or is this the characteristic of NiMh batteries? Or am I just having too much fun.

Tom

Nerd

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's a characteristic of the NiMh batteries. Relatively flat discharge. Not as flat as lithiums though.

AlexGT

Flashlight Enthusiast
What kind of NiMh batteries does the TL carry, AA? SubC? and what is their capacity?

Thnx!
Alex

TigerLight Pro

Newly Enlightened
NiMH has slight drop on the first 10 to 15% of it's run then holds a relative flat line until thae last5 to 10% and the light begins to show voltage fatigue and then a fade to yellow that will sometimes hold for about a minute and then black. Remember dont let it go to dark.

The factory says that it takes 8 to 15 charges to get full cap. Depends on which engineer you talk to.

4/5