just ordered a pd35, Will i be dissappointed with its range

ltec

Newly Enlightened
Just ordered a pd35 and some boys at work says that 185m range is crap and I should have stayed with led lenser, they've just ordered the p7.2 with twice the range of mine for less money. Please tell me there wrong

TheVat26

Enlightened
What is the purpose? The 35 will hit 75-90 yards pretty well, and will touch 160ish yards. At 150+ yards you will be able to acquire movement, but not at the level of a dedicated throw light. 185 yards it maaaaay reach with no ambient light, but in rural/urban conditions it won't.

Ive heard on here to divide the claimed distance by half, and that is a fairly realistic number.

Streamer

Enlightened
Just ordered a pd35 and some boys at work says that 185m range is crap and I should have stayed with led lenser, they've just ordered the p7.2 with twice the range of mine for less money. Please tell me there wrong

You've got a wall of light in your hands with the 35. It uses xml led. I looked and looked for the specs on P7.2 and they don't even list what led it uses. Your buddies will be putting way less light at a farther distance that's all. Which do ya want. I'd stay with the pd35 and it's xml throwin out it's WALL of 800 ferocious lumens.

Led lenser I have no regards for. Buddy of mine showed me his and i WAS "NOT IMPRESSED. Your FENIX pd35 FLOODER with respectable throw is top notch. It's a keeper for sure.

firelord777

Enlightened
If its like my S20, it won't exactly be a "thrower", but it will be more than enough to see your surroundings quickly, and plus, it's really useful to show off...:devil:

If you're looking for a thrower, you won't find anything in PD35 size...just saying:)

braddy

Enlightened
The PD35 is more for edc and the first 100 yards I think, which is what I bought mine for, to me a thrower is something that I grab for a special reason.

buds224

Enlightened
Throwers usually give you tunnel vision, the PD35 will light up a larger area with less throw; very brightly I might add. If you're talking multi-purpose, you won't be disappointed. If you need a dedicated thrower, you'll need to pick something else out.

STiFTW

Newly Enlightened
If you get rid of it, send it my way ... I would love a second. The PD35 is my EDC and I love it! When I need 'ridiculous range' I grab a big boy like the TK75.

wjv

Enlightened
Lens-Pd35_zpsf5fa32b1.jpg

braddy

Enlightened
You should let us know that you were posting a joke comparison rather than giving the impression that it is real.

TEEJ

Flashaholic

All you need to do is look at the cd of the lights....and that tells you how much light they will have on a target at what range.

The cd will NOT tell you how wide an area will be lit up at that level of illumination, only the lux at any given range.

Lumens tell you how much total light there is, and cd tells you how far that light is thrown.

If you WANTED a light just to say it throws farther than their light, simply find the cd of their light, and get one with say double the cd...and you win...if its ONLY about maximum range, and not about the size of the spot when it gets there.

BTW - YOUR light is regulated, so the brightness, once stabilized, stays at a constant rate.

The P7 is not regulated, and IIRC is only ~ 175 lumens max......meaning that as the cells drain, it gets progressively dimmer, and, therefore, loses range as the cells drain.

Its max is 210 meters, which calculates to ~ 11k cd.

So it STARTS at ~ 11k cd, and drops from there. (Fresh cells will refresh that)

The pd35 starts at ~ 8.6k cd, but has a thermal step down to about half that.

That means your buddies are correct, you have more lumens, and can light up more at a time, but, they can hit things further away, but with a smaller dot of light.

Last edited:

braddy

Enlightened
What are you supposed to be comparing there, the P7 on economy and the PD35 on Turbo?

buds224

Enlightened
What are you supposed to be comparing there, the P7 on economy and the PD35 on Turbo?
Fonarik has a cool beam comparison tool. Both lights are max (I ran the same comparison and the same beamshots came up). Now, the question here is....are the specs of the P7.2 much different from the P7? On led lenser's website, they are different lights, but exact specs are not very clear.

braddy

Enlightened
And why is it a joke?

Because of buds224 's post I went back to the site and now am reading it as the "focus 1" shot, whereas yesterday I was reading it as being the economy shot.

Sorry about my confusion, and I don't know how it happened.

I also don't see the PD35 anywhere on this site, do you guys see it in the listing of the Fenix lights?

Latest posts