"Bush's common touch" (Brookheiser editorial)

hawkhkg11

Enlightened
Re:

A competent work of jingoistic gibberish.

It's interesting how Iraqi soldiers who kill American's are called "thugs and assassins", "unwise", "scum", "suborn", "deluded", while American soldiers who kill Iraqi's are "Civilization", and deemed heroes.

After all, we didn't invade them. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

budlight

Newly Enlightened
Re:

[ QUOTE ]
hawkhkg11 said:

It's interesting how Iraqi soldiers who kill American's are called "thugs and assassins", "unwise", "scum", "suborn", "deluded", while American soldiers who kill Iraqi's are "Civilization", and deemed heroes.

[/ QUOTE ]

fart.gif

Greta

Flashaholic
Re:

Hey!! Guess what? I'm going on a cruise!! So you all can slug it out over the weekend and you won't have to worry about getting banned by me or having me close your threads! BUT!!!... you will have to worry about the biased, right-wing moderators who have been told to shut it down or hit the ban button if anyone decides to get stupid and I'll sort it out when I get back. Have fun! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink2.gif

Tomas

Banned
Re:

Uh, isn't it kinda difficult to float a cruise ship there in, er, Arizona? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

Mutie

Enlightened
Re:

[ QUOTE ]
hawkhkg11 said:

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah really. Like where does Hilary get off saying that we may be transferring power back too soon? Man what a warmonger.

Mutech

pedalinbob

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re:

thanks, brightnorm!

i think this thread should be renamed "things that we like about America" or "things that we like about our president".

something with a positive vibe.

sounds good. sounds a lot better than the negative remark posted below Brightnorm. it certainly couldnt be considered baiting or trolling if it is of a positive nature, right? unless someone out there likes it when something bad happens, just to say "see, i told you so." then i guess positive remarks could be seen as baiting.

therefore: if anyone is offended by what i post tomorrow, we can safely assume that you are unhappy when good things happen to/in America...or that you want BAD things to happen.

im at work now, but will see if i can find some good news to post for the holidays!

where to start? let's see...the economy is booming, increasing jobs, consumer confidence, lots of progress in iraq and the war on terorism (dont see much of that on nightly news--i wonder why?), we have a strong leader who will probably be with us for another 5 years (oops, that is just an opinion!), Germany likes us now...

ooohhh, goody-goody! i cant wait!

Bob

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re:

Well, if you actually read the commentary, you will note that he speaks of what the liberals say. What he says is actually well thought out, though wouldn't call Dennis and Clark 'assorted nuts'.

pedalinbob

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re:

just edited my post for accuracy, Brightnorm.

i was complimenting your post, and displaying contempt for continual displays of overt negativity regarding everything American--as if we are the spawns of evil.

the individual in question rarely has anything positive to say. he has an "everything about America sucks" attitude, which is annoying. read his posts, and i think you will agree.

so, again, i would like to post a bunch of good news, just to offset this individual's negativity. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

Bob

brightnorm

Flashaholic
Re:

Although I consider myself more Left than Right, perhaps a "Liberal with Sanity" as Ed Koch might put it, I am a product of the forties and fifties and patriotism is in my blood. I really do think that the US is the "last best hope of mankind" and though that may sound intolerably jingoistic I am not blind to our country's faults. There are administration positions I don't endorse and I can be turned off when they are echoed with negative fervor by certain personalities, but I like to see the positive side in things which is one reason I posted this piece. At any rate, I enjoyed it.

Sasha: Enjoy your escape from us, short lived though it may be. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Brightnorm

BB

Flashlight Enthusiast
\'\'Bush\'s common touch\'\' (Brookheiser editorial)

[ QUOTE ]
hawkhkg11 said:

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I can think of several hundred thousand reasons that I don't think that Iraq's former solders are really ''heroes''.

The Massgraves: Victims of Saddam's Regime (not for children to view)

And the always popular encoragement to join your local Iraqi youth group Iraqi child prisoners freed

-Bill

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: \'\'Bush\'s common touch\'\' (Brookheiser editorial)

remember that soldiers under the command of brutal regimes don't always have a choice in such matters. if they disobey orders, either them or their families might be in the next mass grave. its the officers and commanders and ultimately, the head honcho that are usually guilty of such atrocities.

ikendu

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re:

pedalinbob said: ...strong leader who will probably be with us for another 5 years

Wow! That would be great!

Even higher levels of gov't spending...and more tax cuts too! It's like magic!

pedalinbob

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re:

oh, i dont wear blinders, or restrict my criticism.

i agree, that we definitely need to cut spending, and Bush has not done this well at all! (however, you have to compare the debt to the GNP, and express it as a ratio. in this way, it is not nearly as bad as some make it out to be. yet, i would prefer it to be MUCH lower).

(of course, the Dems idea of cutting spending is to RAISE taxes. i am honestly tired of paying nearly half of my income to the government.)

i simply tend to see more positive than negative.

tax cuts: geeee, ikendu...look at the wonderful growth we are having! looks like those tax cuts are working.

http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/business/7310558.htm

by the way, U of M has an excellent record with their forecasts.

will the growth continue? stay tuned...

now, go and have a nice day!

Bob

Ps edited to add: i dont think it would be a good idea for me to start a "Happy" or "Positive" thread. though i would try not to slant it politically, i fear it will only turn into a trainwreck.

for example: if i point out our remarkable economic growth (even without claiming any particular reason for the growth), someone (perhaps Nancy Pelosi?) will start ranting "but what about the jobs???!?!?"
{insert trainwreck here}

of course, someone will assert that i am only seeing one side, when i am honestly pointing out reasons to be happy.
how could anyone be unhappy that our economy appears to be rebounding? that means more flashlights!!!

i dont want to make too much work for our moderators.

take care,
Bob

Latest posts