Does the new Fenix TK75 XM-L2 2900 lumen version have a "lock-out" feature?

Oztorchfreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does the new Fenix TK75 XM-L2 2900 lumen version have a "lock-out" feature?

The pdf manuals that I look at are usually relating to the first generation TK75 2600 lumen flashlight.

There are many times that I would have liked to lock-out the light when it could be bumped around in my vehicle etc.

I would update to the new XM-L2 2900 lumen version if Fenix included a lock-out feature.

How did they ever leave out a feature like that?

CHEERS

Streamer

Enlightened
Re: Does the new Fenix TK75 XM-L2 2900 lumen version have a "lock-out" feature?

I doubt it does. I lock mine out by unscrewing the tail cap 5-6 turns.

Oztorchfreak

Flashlight Enthusiast

That means the light is close to be left in two pieces and could fall apart reasonably easy with a bit of bumping around in a toolbox or vehicle.

On normal battery carriers that use the threads to lock-out the light it only takes 1/4 to 1/2 of a turn.

I thought they could have upgraded the firmware to include that feature in the newer release TK75.

I have not seen an updated manual yet for the newer version, have you got any sources for it?

How can a flashlight company as big as Fenix not let owners have a lock-out feature these days?

CHEERS

Streamer

Enlightened

Yeh, I onlly lock it out when I have it sitting on the shelf. Because the "prongs" on the battery carrier are compressed when the tailcap is screwed tight, lock out is virtually impossible as they must "decompress" when tailcap is being unscrewed. This leaves the tailcap with only couple of threads left til falling off.

Streamer

Enlightened

Yep, It's a great light and could be greater if they made a Diffuser, Holster, & Lockout compliant.

But it aint gonna happen any time soon I guess. :(

ETA: Just checked and when I lock it out there is exactly 2 and 1/2 full turns remaining til tailcap comes off. Just a hassle to turn it out that far.

Last edited:

brightnorm

Flashaholic

I found a simple way to solve this problem.

I surrounded the on-off button with two layers of stick-on Velcro, with a hole cut for the button. It it almost impossible to turn on accidentally, yet the button is comfortably accessible. I belt-carry it in a Thru-Nite TN31 holster, which fits it perfectly. For lock-out, I use a small square of thin rigid Velcro-covered plastic, which fits right over the Velcro-surrounded button. With this in place it is literally impossible to activate the light. During normal use, I store this square on the Velcro-covered bottom of the light, which doesn't interfere with its ability to tail-stand.

I am happy with this solution, but still must ask: Why the hell doesn't Fenix address this problem?

Brightnorm

ven

Flashaholic

Old thread but i use this method,still a few turns left on the cap. I leave on low,turn cap slow till it goes out,back on,off to make sure it wont get caught and come on during being carried.............always worked for me.

Have said in past,it would be great to hold power/mode for a few seconds to lock out..............................easy enough to do and make a convenient difference.

kj2

Flashaholic

Have said in past,it would be great to hold power/mode for a few seconds to lock out.....easy enough to do and make a convenient difference.
+1 on that :)
Powerful flashlights should have a lockout. And not one by twisting the tailcap.

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast

And needless to say, it is EASY to bump fire the TK75! I like that velcro idea. I am gonna try that on mine today. Thanks

edit, I also try and leave my powerful lights in their respective Low Modes when I turn them off. That way if I do bump fire them, I am less likely to have major problems.

Last edited:

NorthernStar

Enlightened

+1 on that :)
Powerful flashlights should have a lockout. And not one by twisting the tailcap.

I agree! I have personal experience from having accidental activation with my TK75-L2. The light gets pretty HOT fast! A lack of a lockout mode is the single most poorest detail on this light. Besides from that is a great light.

The twisting the tailcap in order to lockout a light is not a good thing to to!Usually one have to twist the tailcap several turns, and then it coulda get exposed by moisture. If Fenix could include a button controlled lockout mode next time they release an upgraded TK75, it would be great!:)