No love for the Jetbeam SSA series?

dc38

Flashlight Enthusiast
On the east coast of the yoosah. In the place wher
As far as I can tell this is the only review of the Jetbeam SSA10 on the entire internet. This corporate cousin to the Nitecore EA series doesn't have as many modes, and you can't use the red LED as a moonlight-mode light, but the switches seem more robust and it has the latest XP-G2 emitter.

I will assume (for myself) that there are many other more...functional lights for the price and the form factor. As far as the runtimes go, they don't seem to add up on that review...Pretty sure runtimes low and medium are pure fabrication, or from bright to dim.

JUST for comparison sake, I have a klarus that runs on 2aa, and gets ~175 hours on the 3 lumen level. On 125 lumens it gets roughtly 2.7 hours. On max of 225 lumens, it gets about 1.25-1.5 hours MAX, all run on an xpg emitter. Even with the "20%" output of the xpg2, the numbers still don't add up.

I also have a Jetbeam rrt0, which i have run continuously on high (90-110 lumens tapered from remaining charge) for about 50 minutes before it blinked low voltage. on the equivalent of ~50 lumens, I get a little over 3 hours cumulative. on the lowest, (not tested) the manufacturer provides the runtime at 100 hours.

The SSA10 compared to the ea1 'cousin' dimensions: ea1 is shorter, but fatter at the head, but that gives it more throw.
Brightness and runtimes: Unless the ssa10 is capable of defying the laws of thermodynamics and general physics, there's no way the light can offer a maximum of 650 'lumenhours' while its cousin offers a more believable max of 200 'lumenhours.' Even the klarus i have offers a maxium of 525 'lumenhours', meticulously tested on 2AA's.

The one real edge the ssa10 may offer are the tactile buttons; they allow operation in very low light situations where relying on feel is key.

I might be wrong about every aspect I just posted above, but I guess I shouldn't judge a book by its 'lab-tested' cover.
To each his own!

ronniepudding

Enlightened
It looks very much like the Zebralight SC52... and costs the same too. With slightly lower output and probably a more complicated UI. If you need the camera/tripod thread on the tailcap, that gives it an edge for certain users. Maybe the JETBeam clip is nicer than the overly stiff one on the SC52 as well?

Perhaps learning from recent trends in the Italian pasta industry, JETBeam has named it the "Outdoor EDC fairy". Not sure how well that will go over in the tactical flashlight crowd ;)

Abyssos

Newly Enlightened
Looks like I chose a dud of a light to be looking to buy.

Can anyone possessing a Jetbeam SSA10 share his/her likes and dislikes about this light? This light seems rather unpopular because as the OP mentioned there is only review one (well, if you count the one Amazon, then two) on the web.

Thanks in advance

Craig K

Enlightened
I don't really see any love for all Jetbeam flashlights on CPF these days.

shelm

Flashlight Enthusiast
afaik Jetbeam lights cannot be imported officially to EU anymore or was it just Germany. Jetbeam China did not secure the licensing/registration of the name brand in these important markets.

on CPFMP i heard the same about Olight China who did not secure the licensing/registration of the name brand in Germany, a very important market for all Chinese manufacturers. If the quarrel continues, Olight products cannot be imported officially to Germany anymore because Klaus Krüger's webshop, who secured the Olight name rights in this country, would not condone other webshops selling products with "their" name on it.

I like ITP brand better anyway :)

wjv

Enlightened
I only had one Jetbeam light. The BA20. Not a bad light but the published data (lumens and run-times) were what I would classify as "highly optimistic".