Time for a new forum? And other CPF items

DavidW

Flashlight Enthusiast
How about a forum to discuss power supplies and circuits? If this is a good idea are there any suggestions for a moderator or two?

Speaking of moderators I think Brock needs help to keep an eye on things in the LED forum. Any nominations?

I'm looking to switch from a Windows server to a Unix server. If it's a go I will then ask my webhost if that's possible without costing me an arm and a leg. I'm hoping this will fix the UBB email problems.

After that's taken care of I'll see if I can fix the member records. Some of you are unable to edit your profiles. This could cost money also as Infopop charges money if the problem is too complicated.

I've activated the UBB cache in hopes of speeding things up. I see a little improvement but things are really slow. You can alleviate load times a little by going directly to forums. Or directly to a category. For example Brite topics would be:

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?&category=1

Manufacturer, Dealer Announcements and Trading Post is:

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?category=2

And so on...

I would go back to the faster UBB5 series but support (patches and upgrades) has been dropped.

I'm going to redo the flashlight links. Right now I have to edit the html page everytime I need to edit or add a link. I'm checking out Gossamer Threads as a better solution. If that works I can then have other members help in overseeing that part of the website.

lightlover

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, I think there is a need for something like "Intersections", – crossover led and incandescent topics.

Lite-Lover
smile.gif
shocked.gif
confused.gif
wink.gif

Brock

Flashaholic
I started out by moderating and it is pretty easy. All you really need to do is watch for really odd things and sometimes move a post to the correct area (or ask an admin to do it). I would check the forums at least once a day, usually about 5 times actually. I am sure David checks almost all new posts as I do, so if a moderator misses anything hopefully one of us will catch it.

Brock

D

**DONOTDELETE**

i think brock does a fine job as moderator of the led portion of this bb. if one were forced to nominate an additional moderator, mr.johnson would be the obvious choice?

DavidW

Flashlight Enthusiast
Al, looking at my forum titles I see the general forum is too vauge. I had descriptions on all but 4 forums. Some got lost in an upgrade. When I get the forum descriptions back on the front page, threads like this one need to be moved to the other general forum.

Size15's

Flashaholic
I think we're pretty much united in our love for illumination devices of various types here at CPF (funny how that is
wink.gif
) and therefore many of the problems other forums have about politics or guns or whatever they want to argue about aren't that important to us in the this forum.

Anyway, I hope I'm doing okay at moderating. I rarely have to do anything. It's the way it should be.

I check the threads several times a day. I tend to work stupid shifts but that means I'm online at strange times...

It would be great to have an overview page on which you could see the progess of the threads within each section.
I would also like to have emails sent to me whenever a new post is made, not just to threads I've happened to start.

I'm waiting to be amazed by new products from companies other then SureFire. The PhotonIII and that new super "LED" stuff. A new PlasmaBeam, or cheaper Green Laser...

I'd love to be surprised by a revolutionary new rechargeable battery or new bulb [or light source etc] technology etc.

SureFire are always working and releasing new concepts & stuff. It would be great if other companies would have the vision and balls to leap into the future.

Al
grin.gif