broken switch

shiftd

Flashlight Enthusiast
well, it finally happens to me /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

I lend one of my modded brinkman legend 2AA, the one that uses 7 red leds to one of my friend for his presentation about leds. The mod uses the original bulb base as its base and as such, no tightening is needed or allowed. To prevent worst case screnario, i even epoxied the mod in place with AA. My friend, being an average user he is, is accustomed to screw the head of a light (just like mags) to turn it on and off. he thought this brinkman is the same as mag and he tried to turn the light on by screwing it. Apparently, he did not see that big switch of the light /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif
Well, he OVER tightened the head that one of the leads touched the aluminum body and makes the light short. In short, the batteries got too hot and leak (did not explode, fortunately) and the switch of the legend melted away on the inside.

I was so mad, but well, things happen.
does brinkmann offer warantee for this kind of accident? would they send me a replacement switch?

Tomas

Banned
I would expect them to offer a warranty on their materials and workmanship in normal use, but I don't know of any company that would warranty your mods to their product ...

Since the failure was not a fault of their materials or workmanship (and indeed most companies instantly void a warranty when their product is modified in any way), the question should be will they sell you a switch. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I've quit loaning modded lights to people because most of them don't recognize/understand the extent of the changes.

I'm even very reluctant to loan most non-modified exotic lights (Arc, Firefly, etc.).

Look around next time you're shopping and consider the folks you see. The "average person" is pretty unaware and dumb. These aren't rocket scientists. Keep in mind, to, that by definition half of them are even dumber than that ... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif

Sorry about the broken Brinkman!

T_sig6.gif
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

shiftd

Flashlight Enthusiast
ah /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

well, atleast i can use the tube as a carrier /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast
my old mini maglite that i EDC before discovering CPF had its reflector cracked because someone i lent it too didn't know which way to twist the head to turn it on. i had an energizer mini maglite clone have its tailswitch broken in a similar manner, and people i lend my surefires to always end up unscrewing the bezel. it wasn't any better when i EDCed an arc LS, as people would always try to twist or squeeze the kroll boot /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif

Steelwolf

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hahaha. This is all so reminescent of threads in bladeforum.com (where I originally found the link leading me to this place of bright lights).

People there complain all the time about their friends who have no concept of how to treat a knife and are thoroughly shocked by how much they pay for one. So you get stories of people using a knife as a screw driver or pry bar, people throwing them like you see in kungfu action flicks, snapping them open and using them in all sorts of dreadful manner.

I myself have had problems with loaning out my modded flashlights. You tell them how to operate it, feed it, clean it, take care of it. Then it's in one ear and out the other and the light comes back broken, dirty, blown electronics.

And the worse part of it is that they blame you for it! That's right! It's your fault for lending them your pride and joy, thinking they might appreciate it. All they can handle is a KISS (Keep It Simple, Stupid), PHD (Press Here Dummy) type of flashlight. They of course expect that since it came from a flashaholic like you, that it should still be ridiculously bright and run forever on one set of batteries.

The funny thing is that when I tell them it really is too simple ("All the cells go in this way and you press this to switch it on, press it again to switch it off"), they look at you like you are some sort of moron.

Arrgh! I'm going the way I did with knives. I'm building a loaner. Something cheap, simple and robust which I don't mind having blow up because I can replace it easily.

Tomas

Banned
I only loan my almost stock, 20 year old Mag 2D (only 'mod' is an EverLED) out these days. If they don't like that, tough. My little bright beasts don't take well to strangers.

(I also don't loan good knives - even a kitchen knife - I only loan working 'junk' blades. And if you want a car, buy one ... )

T_sig6.gif

shiftd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Steelwolf, your post completely summarized them up, rather nicely /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

yea, everything that you said applies in my experience. I told my friends how to turn, feed and care the light and all i say gone with the wind /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

I wish i can give him a loaner. The problem is, he chooses the flashlights that he likes to bring to the presentation. So he took my brightest mag 2D 5W, and a couple others. Glad i told him that the mag 2D can explode (as it may well can, with the li-ion battery inside) so he took a really good care on it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Latest posts