Farthest throwing Aspheric build under $100

Tiresius

Enlightened
Good question...I think a budget light with a modified internal would be your best bet. That's the only way I can think of to get a throw that high under $100 and yes...you'll have to do it yourself.

Gtamazing

Newly Enlightened
About as cheap as they get. This Jobsmart host with a 75mm aspheric. tear out the 100 leds put in a XPG2 on a heatsink. The I.D. of this tube is the same as a maglite I believe, so there is plenty of options.

this thing could be complete for less than $60 if you can do your own heatsink.

Tiresius

Enlightened
About as cheap as they get. This Jobsmart host with a 75mm aspheric. tear out the 100 leds put in a XPG2 on a heatsink. The I.D. of this tube is the same as a maglite I believe, so there is plenty of options.

I remember someone building this thing but used an XR-E. If you get an XP-G2 and de-dome it behind an aspheric lens, you'll get some good result. Just as Gtamazing said, you'll have to get a heatsink. If you want to go the extra mile, get waiven's collar. Saabluster managed to push 900,000 candella in his light.

Xmldriver

Enlightened

Thanks! I'll have to see how I can get one of these shipped to me, looks like a great host!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Xmldriver

Enlightened
I remember someone building this thing but used an XR-E. If you get an XP-G2 and de-dome it behind an aspheric lens, you'll get some good result. Just as Gtamazing said, you'll have to get a heatsink. If you want to go the extra mile, get waiven's collar. Saabluster managed to push 900,000 candella in his light.

Sounds good, any tips on how to make the heat sink or do you know anyone who could make one? What's Waivens collar ? Thanks!

Mattaus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wavien RLT Collar.

They are a method by which to increase the output of an LED by reflecting 'wasted' light back at the phosphor layer of the LED. They do work (as proven by Saablaster and Mash.m) however I believe they are nothing more than inverted reflectors. I plan to test this theory when some stuff I have ordered arrives. I fully expect egg on face :)

- Matt

EDIT: for your apparent level of experience I'd suggest not using the Wavien collars as it's probably massive overkill, especially for a part that costs as much as your entire host...

Last edited:

fortean101

Newly Enlightened
Another option is just use a maglite 2d host take out the reflector and cut down the bulb holder, you can get a heatsink from on the forums or make your own and use the stock switch with a driver I have an XRE dedomed (easy to do!) running at 2 amps it gives over 100k lux it runs on 3 c Nimhs with a small spring in the tail cap. All this was under $60 I think. The beauty of maglite hosts are that it is easy to focus the die as long as the aspheric is capable of it. Biggest problem is sourcing a budget aspheric that actually projects a clear die image.

buds224

Enlightened
Reviews I've found shows 45K un collimated, 1meter out. Can't find anyone that did a collimated reading. I've seen some impressive collimated beam shots. Thinking of getting that head for mine.

If the nightmaster truly has 100K, then it's an easy choice.

Last edited:

Tiresius

Enlightened
You'll do a little over 200k candella with that giant 75mm aspheric setup. You'll have to find someone to machine you a heatsink and press-fit it into the host. I'd recommend copper as you will be driving the XP-G2 hard.

Xmldriver

Enlightened
You'll do a little over 200k candella with that giant 75mm aspheric setup. You'll have to find someone to machine you a heatsink and press-fit it into the host. I'd recommend copper as you will be driving the XP-G2 hard.

Sounds perfect. Is there anyone on the forum that can do this?

rayman

Flashlight Enthusiast
An easier method would be to take a C or D Maglite and built your own light engine using for example a XR-E and then just put in an aspherical lens from Kaidomain. For me I used a XR-E with the smaller EZ900 die and you get plenty of throw.+

rayman

Xmldriver

Enlightened
An easier method would be to take a C or D Maglite and built your own light engine using for example a XR-E and then just put in an aspherical lens from Kaidomain. For me I used a XR-E with the smaller EZ900 die and you get plenty of throw.+

rayman

Yes it would be easier but it would not give as good a result I think...

Xmldriver

Enlightened
Do you want to build one your self or just buy one?

Good question. I like the idea of a modified one with the larger head and lens. However I can't do the heat sink myself and my soldering skills are poor so Id be happy to pay someone to build it!

Last edited: