Why does my sunwayman t20cs flicker

su888

Newly Enlightened
Well i did drop it from waist height onto concrete, the glass cracked and replaced under warranty.

However, when i use it on 'full power' the light flickers randomly but when i put it on a lower/low setting the flickering stops.

I changed batteries and then the problem stopped for a bit but now it seems to have started again.

What would be the cause of the problem, i don't really want to send it back again because it cost me a fortune to post back.

Is it work buying another set of batteries to try again or any other way of testing what the problem is?

m4a1usr

Enlightened
Have you tried to clean all the contacts and ensure the springs are making good contact and centered on the cell(s)? My A2 was giving me similar heartburn and it ended up being dirty contact in the tail cap. Cant remember how many lights I have that upon close inspection were found to have angled springs not making full contact when compressed. Not the same light I know but sometimes it's the basics.

Last edited:

su888

Newly Enlightened
Ok tried your tip, what is the best way to clean the contacts?

I turned the head and played around with it whilst having it switched on. There is a point on when i turn the head out that the light stabalizes and stops flickering so it sounds like a contact issue.

Newbie question but where to from here.

m4a1usr

Enlightened
Ok tried your tip, what is the best way to clean the contacts?

I turned the head and played around with it whilst having it switched on. There is a point on when i turn the head out that the light stabalizes and stops flickering so it sounds like a contact issue.

Newbie question but where to from here.
I like to use good ole Q-tips soaked in isopropyl alcohol. Being careful not to leave behind any fibers. Canned air or a nozzle off your compressor may be of assistance. What you describe does sound like a contact issue but I am not very familiar with your light and its internal design. Maybe one of the more experienced flashaholics could chime in?

gravelmonkey

Enlightened
Basic flashlight troubleshooting guide might be of use. Or, this which similar and has photos. I wouldn't recommend you tear the light apart just yet though!

It's probably a contact issue in the tailcap, (part 2 of the second link). Do the 'paperclip test' to see if it's a problem with the tailcap or switch. Make sure the ring holding the switch in the tailcap is tight.