more mods from the Rice Man

WildRice

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey just got these two finished. First one was a Big Lots special. 'D' size rubber grip with a 4xAA converter in the battery holder. It is filled with a 18X white 12v halogen replacement bulb (couple bucks off ebay a while ago). These LED's suck!!! mabyee 3600mcd each on a GOOD day. But hey, what can I say, can't throw it away, so might as well put in something, right??? anywho. The LED reflector just fit in the place of the original reflector. glued with Gorilla glue (or as my wife calls it Monkey glue). with a larger coiled SatCure booster hotglued on the back of the reflector. 4xAA battery holder with a 9V clip on it, and hard wired to the original Click Switch. NOT a spotlight at all, but definately a good flood light.
IMAG0004.JPG

The other one is from the other $1 lantern from $superstore. A while back I picked up a 4 pack of white solor lawn lights for $20. ($5 each for a solor panel, nachia white, booster board, 2,800mAH NiCad's and a nice 'side emitter' reflector). All i did wap rip the guts out of the lawn light and reconfigured them into the lantern. All parts are there, original batteries, soldered and glued to the back of the reflector. Solor panel jJUST fit into the back of the lantern. CDS cell turns off the light durring the day, and best of all, I was able to use the original switch mechanism. Battery side of the switch had a wire/cap setup for going over the battery terminal, and the other connector was just soldered to the heatsink/connector ring on the back of the reflector. The LED I shortened and reshaped with 400grit paper for the proper dispurtion angle.
IMAG0003.JPG

All in all not too bad, definately throws the light better, and the solor charging option will be nice since my 6yr old like to keep lights on. BTW it is REALLY light weight and has LOTS of extra space inside for extra 'goodies'

Later Y'all
jeff

Hey just found this on at the bottom of a drawer, literally. orig. had 2 button cells and a red LED. Now it has a 'N' cell, white LED and one of my first SatCure boosters.

IMAG0005.JPG

WildRice

Flashlight Enthusiast
man, my spelling really sucks!!! B4 anyone asks, the two batteries in the solor light should be 2x800mAH, I don't think they make 2.8AH Ni-Cad 'AA's.
jeff

jtice

Flashaholic
Looks really creative Rice.
The solar panel is really neat.
I think I will have to pickup a few of these cheap spotlights next time I am at my local Wally World.

Latest posts