E Series Tailcap Questions

netjackson

Newly Enlightened
Hey Folks,

I was wondering if someone could answer a few tailcap questions. I have 2 e1e lights, both with e2d tailcaps.

Can the McClicky switch be installed in the e2d tailcaps?
Are there different color options for the rubber boot?
If yes to these questions, where can I find the parts and can some direct me to a member that can install it. Thanks!

m4a1usr

Enlightened
The McClicky normally found is E sized so it screws right into the E series tailcaps with no adapter ring. But doesn't the E2D you have already have a clicky? Regardless, your E1E (or both tailcaps) will have the spring retainer held in by a 4-40 screw that goes into a round slug/nut located inside the rubber boot. IIRC the allen size is 1/8 and you can see it behind the spring. The method of taking off out the spring housing/contact is to put pressure on the rubber boot while turning the allen head screw. If the screw wont spin out (righty tighty/ lefty loosey) from the slug/nut it might be held in with classic SF retainer goo. It can be softened by heating up the tail cap with a hair dryer or heat shrink gun. Be careful at how much heat you apply since you want that rubber boot most likely in the future. Just add a little heat and try to get the allen out. Most aftermarket boots are pretty close to the stock boot. A 18mm dia boot with a 14mm raised center button will work. It's tight. But it will stretch. The issue might be the depth. If you can find one deeper than the standard 8mm ones commonly found than your better off due to the obvious.

netjackson

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the reply. I thought the McClicky switch is better than the standard Surefire switch. Can someone also direct me to where I can purchase the parts and to a forum member who can install them. Thanks again!

m4a1usr

Enlightened
Thanks for the reply. I thought the McClicky switch is better than the standard Surefire switch. Can someone also direct me to where I can purchase the parts and to a forum member who can install them. Thanks again!
The McClicky can be purchased at a couple different vendors. And I think both are CPF members so it shouldn't be a problem to list them in this thread. Darksucks.com / illuminationsupply.com and Mcgizmo (sp?). They all carry replacement boots too. If your not comfortable doing the switch install you can send them to me. I have a dozen McClicky's on their way to me now for upgrades in some of my lights. PM me and we can make the arrangement.

Tana

Flashlight Enthusiast
IlluminationSupply is really a great source for these (small quantities) as is Oveready (Lighthound has them stocked as well)... actually OR has already modded switch that's supposed to work with stock boot... it will be VERY mushy but it was designed to work with OR shrouds anyway...

http://www.oveready.com/a-upgrades/...tallation-clicky-for-z57/z61-e-/prod_287.html

You can see how they cut the threaded area to fit newer clicky types e-series tailcaps... you can ignore machining of the upper flat part as you can get yourself 14x8mm aftermarket boots (even if they have stub from inside, you can cut it out flat with sharp Exacto knife)... once you cut to about half of the threads (careful not to cut yourself), try fitting it in tailcap and carefully tighten the ring (aftermarket boot installed)...

You will get a tiny gap between body and tailcap once McClicky is installed but boot will have lower profile than stock install... so a tiny o-ring fixes the gap easily...

Latest posts