Hard water stains on my car glass are driving me crazy!!!

hron61

Flashlight Enthusiast
We have very hard water here and somehow between car washes and rain water my car glass has become battle scarred and ive tried many different home remedies and nothing has worked.

What do the pros and you guys use?

Heres a sample picture of my rear window on my caddy.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
I don't have this problem with car windows. If I did I might try giving it a good scrub with a vinegar soaked cloth. I have had good luck doing this on a stainless steel sink. Good luck.

Geoff

HarryN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Products like CLR are used to remove hard water spots in bathrooms, but you have to be really careful to avoid getting them on finished surfaces like paint, chrome, etc. (most likely would ruin them)

It might be worth while to bring some distilled or bottled water with you to do a final rinse of your auto glass after a car wash. Most bottled water is run through RO (reverse osmosis) so it will have relatively low / modest mineral content. I have to do this in my area as well.

EZO

Flashlight Enthusiast
The RainX company specializes in windshield cleaning and protection. Consider using their "Deep Cleaning Windshield Treatment Kit". If it works you should then apply RainX glass treatment to prevent more water spots from appearing on your windshield. The kit comes with a bottle of glass treatment.

The blurb on their web site says, "The Rain‑X®​ Deep Cleaning Windshield Kit delivers the deepest windshield clean, achieved using clay bar technology. The Glass Cleaning Clay Bar and Rain‑X®​ Glass Cleaning Lubricant Gel work together to easily remove dirt, tree sap, bugs and water spots!"

Good luck!

Last edited:

STiFTW

Newly Enlightened
A light polish will be what you need ... but be very careful. Auto glass is much easier to scratch than you would believe, and a small bit of dirt/grit trapped under a pad will cause massive scratching. There is a glass polish called Ceriglass, but that is more agressive than you need. A light automotive finishing polish will be more than sufficient to get those marks out with a foam pad on a dual-action polisher.

Jayrcee

Newly Enlightened
A little white vinegar poured onto some wadded up newspaper works quite well I have found.

Silgt

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is my business I own and distributes a brand of professional coating products for cars and boats...send me a PM and I will try to give you some advice

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk 2

T0rch

Newly Enlightened
Another vote for RainX. Other than that how about towel drying after a wash?

bshanahan14rulz

Flashlight Enthusiast
+1 on towel drying after wash. Get an absorbent microfiber cloth and use it only for drying a clean car. The ones I've used, the waffle pattern weave worked well, but just get a good microfiber towel for drying the car after final rinse. idea is that you soak up the water before it has a chance to naturally concentrate down to whatever additives are in tap water, which is where the spots come from.

That, or use filtered water for your final rinse. My dad uses lots of meguiars products, swears by 'em, so if they have something specifically for water spots, might be worth trying out.

I'm actually intrigued by the vinegar idea, I just feel that distilled water or just drying is probably safer than applying acid of any sort