Software Calling Home

Norm

Retired Administrator
I normally use Hanbrake to convert video files for itunes, yesterday I used Need4 Video which I haven't used for at least twelve months, this morning I have what I consider a spam email from the company trying to sell me more of their product.

Obviously there software calls home when it's used, this was a purchased version not pirated and I would not buy from them knowing that their software is spying on me.

Norm

vapegear

Newly Enlightened
you would be amazed how many do, often pirated software is better as the crack will prevent it phoning home, HP are famous for it, install a keyboard or printer and it will install other software that will report back, loads of websites keep a frightening amount of data on you too, just do a search for something you would never dream of buying and watch how many website offer you adverts for it, I don't really mind being tracked, i don't get up to anything i'm ashamed of, or illegal, the proper criminals know how to avoid it, the one that annoys me the most is Amazon, i'll go and buy a kettle and for months later they try and sell me a kettle, I just bought one, I'm not a kettle collector, i just bought one, i wont need another one for years with a bit of luck.

EZO

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you are a Mac user I highly recommend Little Snitch from Objective Development. I've been using it for years and wouldn't be without it. It is a reverse firewall; that is, it monitors OUTGOING network connections and allows you a lot of facility in managing them. If you were on a Mac system with Little Snitch, it would have alerted you that the software you were using wanted to "phone home " and offered you various flexible options to allow or deny the connection(s) either temporarily or permanently. You can create a wide range of rules to manage everything your computer connects with via the network. The software features a really (graphically) cool and highly useful network monitor panel that provides real-time traffic monitoring and history.

Edit: I guess on Windows, Zone Alarm would be the closest equivalent to Little Snitch. Personally, I run Windows 7 as a virtual machine on a two monitor Mac system and Little Snitch covers both OSs for most things as Windows is set to rely on the Mac's IP connection. Perhaps others can recommend other Windows or Linux reverse firewalls.

Last edited:

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
+

Yep, Zone Alarm has notification for any software trying to go outbound,,
then you can choose if you want it to once, all the time or never.

I'v been using ZA firewall for as long as I can remember.

add: cell phones, on the other hand, are an entirely laughable story:tsk:

Last edited:

EZO

Flashlight Enthusiast
+

add: cell phones, on the other hand, are an entirely laughable story:tsk:

You've got that right. Mobile devices seem designed to invade one's privacy by default!........not so laughable really. :mad:

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
+

EZO, I was somewhere between sarcastic & facetious.

Whats laughable is the high percentage 'unawareness of'

EZO

Flashlight Enthusiast
+

EZO, I was somewhere between sarcastic & facetious.

Whats laughable is the high percentage 'unawareness of'

Orbital, It was just an additional comment on my part, not a disagreement with your statement. I understood where your remark was coming from.