How good is this 30w driver

Gtamazing

Newly Enlightened
Pretty sure I tried it. it's crap. starts at 3A but scales back quick to like 1 amp. Definatly not worth $15. IMO any more than $10 on a cheap imported driver is too much. At that point you should just go Taskled.

gamezawy

Newly Enlightened
thank you i was really going to buy one so can you recommend me a driver that can run 3 XML's at 3A each can can fit in 3c maglite

Chodes

Flashlight Enthusiast
3x 18650 in series

You can use 1 x 7135 based driver, ie 105C 3.04A driver.
(Yes, I know it can't handle volts of 3 x 18650. )

Credit to CPF member Download for posting info on how to use a single cell driver for multi LED / multi cell use.

Search threads by him, with "poor man's" and or "multi" in the title

Chodes

Flashlight Enthusiast
3xP7DriverSetupb.jpg

Obviously, LEDs don't have to be P7 and driver does not have to be 2.8A...

Last edited:

gamezawy

Newly Enlightened
nice one but can this work with xmls ? and will i need to use resistors inline ?

gamezawy

Newly Enlightened
i will not use the stock switch and i will remove everything from the tail cap

about ​The above wiring this will not allow me to use the mods in the driver right ?

i really needed a ready driver for 3 xmls for good price

Gtamazing

Newly Enlightened
Rev1_zpsfd46243b.jpg

This is a slightly modified version of Downloads original. Hopefully he does not mind. It removes one wire and maybe makes it clearer of people to understand why it works.

gamezawy

Newly Enlightened
sorry but now i am confused you didnt use the + out from the driver ? please explain

Last edited:

Gtamazing

Newly Enlightened
The positive out from the driver is the same as the positive in. A single amc 7135 has three pins, they are

Neg In
Neg out
Positive In.

The current is regulated on the negative path from in to out. The positive is a control wire essentially turning the 7135 chip on or off.

Now back too the circuit. Think of the circuit as a big loop ignoring the positive in to the driver. It looks like a big loop right? Lets say the voltage is a nominal 3.6v per cell x3= 10.8v total. Now you have 3 emitters in series. so each emitter see's 1/3 of the total voltage. That will be 3.6 volts. Now imagine the driver(7135 regulators) as a valve. That valve will control your current(3A). To open that valve you just need to add a positive to the driver. Amc 7135 based drivers have a max voltage of something like 4.5V so the positive for the driver is taken after the second led where it is 3.6v. The first led drops the volts to 7.2 the second drops it to 3.6 where you need it to be.

This circuit works best with equal amounts of led and batteries.

gamezawy

Newly Enlightened
thank you very much :D

one last thing i know i have asked much but you are kind person

as you know 18650 fully charged gives 4.2 volts so 3x will be like 12.6 so every led will be taking 4.2 so will i need to use a resistor inline ?