Malkoff        
Page 14 of 21 FirstFirst ... 4789101112131415161718192021 LastLast

Thread: AquaMule and AquaRam 18650 lights ** Terra versions added**

Default Re: AquaMule and AquaRam 18650 lights

Quote Originally Posted by ShineOnYouCrazyDiamond View Post
    Daniel - can you (or anyone else) speak to the difference between the XM-L2 and the XP-G2? I realize there will be a minor loss of lumens with the XP-G2 and that driving it at >1.5Amps will have diminishing returns, but for a light that I would use mostly around the house with some outdoor use I will want a nice mix between throw and flood. I am concerned if the XPG2 produces too tight a spot for indoor use? I know Don's reflector designs typically provide for ample light outside the spot, but first hand experience or beamshots would be great.
    Sean, you remember the S27-PD that you upgraded to XP-G2 that I bought from you?

The XP-G2 Aqua-Ram is not too dissimilar in beam from that. It doesn't throw quite as much in proportion to the current its driven at because its reflector is more like 23mm as opposed to the S27-PD's 27mm wider reflector. Still, its not far behind in throw and has quite a generous spill too.

Compared to the XM-L2 Aqua-Ram, the XP-G2 definitely has the edge in throw and the beautiful tint of the XP-G2 with its CRI of 80 makes things pop more outside.

The XM-L2 is noticably brighter on ceiling bounce at 1400ma than the XP-G2, partly because the XM-L2 is more efficient at higher currents but also because the XP-G2 is penalised for its warmer tint and higher CRI by having a lower output bin than it would have if it was cool-white.

The hotspot of the XP-G2 is smaller and more defined than the XM-L2. That is to say, there is a more obvious border between the hotspot and the spill.
    Last edited by easilyled; 02-15-2014 at 04:50 PM.
    We are all flotsam and jetsam being carried by a relentless tide towards our ultimate fate!

Quote Originally Posted by easilyled View Post
    Sean, you remember the S27-PD that you upgraded to XP-G2 that I bought from you?

The XP-G2 Aqua-Ram is not too dissimilar in beam from that. It doesn't throw quite as much in proportion to the current its driven at because its reflector is more like 23mm as opposed to the S27-PD's 27mm wider reflector. Still, its not far behind in throw and has quite a generous spill too.

Compared to the XM-L2 Aqua-Ram, the XP-G2 definitely has the edge in throw and the beautiful tint of the XP-G2 with its CRI of 80 makes things pop more outside.

The XM-L2 is noticably brighter on ceiling bounce at 1400ma than the XP-G2, partly because the XM-L2 is more efficient at higher currents but also because the XP-G2 is penalised for its warmer tint and higher CRI by having a lower output bin than it would have if it was cool-white.

The hotspot of the XP-G2 is smaller and more defined than the XM-L2. That is to say, there is a more obvious border between the hotspot and the spill.
    I'm am leaning XP-G2 for my TerraRam, but I know how the beam of the XM-L2 looks. Decisions decisions....
    In no order: HDS/Malkoff/OVEREADY/McGizmo/Sky Lumen -PSM

Flashaholic* ShineOnYouCrazyDiamond's Avatar

Daniel - Excellent description, thanks. I love that light that I sold you - the McR27S reflector is a special one.

The one other thing I am wondering is if Don is using copper sinkpads to optimize heat transfer away from the XP-G2. Especially with the possibility/likelyhood of it being overdriven.

Quote Originally Posted by ShineOnYouCrazyDiamond View Post
    Daniel - Excellent description, thanks. I love that light that I sold you - the McR27S reflector is a special one.

The one other thing I am wondering is if Don is using copper sinkpads to optimize heat transfer away from the XP-G2. Especially with the possibility/likelyhood of it being overdriven.
    I am using aluminum MCPCB's. I realize that the Aqua lights are now driving the LED's harder than I have in the past and in the case of the AquaMule in particular, the hunk of aluminum the MCPCB is screwed down to add a good amount of thermal mass to the equation. But these are titanium lights and beyond the titanium is our hands which along with the air are needed ultimately, to dissipate the heat generated. The over driving game is not one I am familiar with nor interested in really.
    Build Prices .... some mods and builds (not 4 sale) "Nature can be cruel- but we don't have to be."~ Temple Grandin

email sent

Quote Originally Posted by 59ride View Post
    email sent
    ??? I don't believe I received anything from you?
    Build Prices .... some mods and builds (not 4 sale) "Nature can be cruel- but we don't have to be."~ Temple Grandin

Quote Originally Posted by McGizmo View Post
    ??? I don't believe I received anything from you?
    i sent to to dmcleish@pacbell.net , anyway no drama, this was it ...

Hi Don,
    I am wanting to purchase an Aqua Ram from you. I like a light with more throw than flood and a cooler whiter tint. Would you recommend the XP-G2 for this ?
    Is the newer version upgraded with the larger O rings as i will be using this at a depth of 30-40 metres ?
    Also i would prefer a twisty head rather than a mcclicky for ease of 1 handed operation underwater.
    Can i also order a diamond etched clip with it ?
    Thanks mate
    Regards
    Ross
    ps lovin my Haiku
    pps pardon my ignorance but what exactly is a taped clip ?

59ride,
    You have the correct e-mail address but I got nothing from you either in my inbox or spam folder?!?! Try sending to don(at)dmcleish.com.

The XP-G2 will give you more throw but the ones I am working with are a neutral white whereas the XM-L2 LED's are cooler in color temp. A diamond etched clip is available for an additional $10. The AquaMule and Aqua Ram come with the twisty pak as standard.

The tapped clip is an alternative clip that looks pretty much like the stock clip but it has a 1/4"x20 tapped hole in it to allow it to be mounted on a 1/4x20 tripod stud or accept any 1/4"x20 male thread for attachment.

As for O-rings, I will continue to build and ship these lights with the larger sized black EPDM O-rings I have switched to because they are adequate for most folks and the lights will not flood during submersion. However you can get some water trapped beneath the retaining O-ring if you go to any significant depths. You would need to lift a portion of the retaining O-ring out of its groove, after dive, to let the region dry out.

As an option on request, I will build the light with silicone O-rings that I jut recently got and have tested. These are the orange silicone and the seal O-ring is 90 durometer instead of the standard 70 durometer. These are 2 mm in cross section and the combination of the stiffer seal with these thicker O-rings does take care of the issue with water getting behind the retaining O-ring. I tested a light to 365' and there was no water to get behind the retaining O-ring. It takes some effort to get these O-rings stuffed in place but they do the job.

Quote Originally Posted by McGizmo View Post
    As an option on request, I will build the light with silicone O-rings that I jut recently got and have tested. These are the orange silicone and the seal O-ring is 90 durometer instead of the standard 70 durometer. These are 2 mm in cross section and the combination of the stiffer seal with these thicker O-rings does take care of the issue with water getting behind the retaining O-ring. I tested a light to 365' and there was no water to get behind the retaining O-ring. It takes some effort to get these O-rings stuffed in place but they do the job.
    Don, I was wondering if these higher durometer orange silicon o-rings are available for purchase for those current owners of the Aqua lights that haven't had the option to request them and whose lights are therefore fitted with the black EPDM o-rings?

Would these be more difficult to install than the larger black o-rings (in otherwise correct size black o-rings) that I re-installed in mine?
    We are all flotsam and jetsam being carried by a relentless tide towards our ultimate fate!

Don, I was wondering if these higher durometer orange silicon o-rings are available for purchase for those current owners of the Aqua lights that haven't had the option to request them and whose lights are therefore fitted with the black EPDM o-rings?

Would these be more difficult to install than the larger black o-rings (in otherwise correct size black o-rings) that I re-installed in mine?
    Yes, these are available to anyone who already has an Aqualight. The window seal is not difficult to install but the retaining O-ring does require some effort in getting it seated down and around in its groove because the seal does not compress that much and so more force and effort is required in feeding the retaining O-ring into its groove.

Anyone wishing to obtain a set of these can send me a SASE with a note about them and I will put a set in the SASE and get them off to you. For you international guys we probably need to work something else out.

Or put a note in the email notes when you buy an TerraRam, that hopefully will be available late this week.

hi Don....Karl in Ohio is finally ready for an Aquamule! I want it as cool and bright and floody as I can get it! I sat on the side lines long enough so it is time to finally take the plunge. The body style is very intriguing and I have owned many of the predecessors that led to the evolution of this creation. I got to play with the light Eric Mack has at a USN party a few years back and wished I could see that design of body resurface and you resurected a classic! get your tinker toys out and throw one together for me. I will go through the proper protocal but wanted to give you a heads up that I was ready to roll! Thanks my friend! Hey...any chance of green glow powder or epoxy around the emitter for that special effect mules became famous for? I remember having an oil slick mule with the glowing green disc and then another with the GITD epoxy. I have one that DatiLED made for me that still is a favorite of mine. Can't hurt to ask. I can't find your paypal adress off hand so send me an email at karlheinz3_44870@yahoo.com
    Last edited by karlheinz3; 02-28-2014 at 01:28 AM.
    Karl H. Riedel III. Realtor and a WHOLE lot more!

AQUA MULE bright, white, cool, floody as you can! Let me know if I owe you more Don. Thanks again! Karl RPM LLC
    Karl H. Riedel III. Realtor and a WHOLE lot more!

Bump!

Flashaholic*

What is the max drive current for the Nichia 119v led ? Going through the Nichia 119 Haiku thread, it says it is 700ma for the 119. If I do go with the Nichia 119v, I want to be sure I don't overdrive it.
    ***Edit: After some searching on the forum, it appears that Don indicated previously the max drive current is 1500ma for the Nichia 119V. Search and he shall find.

I'm trying to decide between the XP-G2 and the 119v.
    Last edited by ibcj; 03-14-2014 at 05:20 AM. Reason: Info found
    Chris

I would go XP-G2, WAY brighter with similar tint.

Hi guys,
    I received the Terra paks last week but was too busy with existing work load, visitors on island and the whales to bring them onboard. I will edit the first post here on this thread and add the Terra option. The TerraRam and TerraMule will both sell for $590 ea. For those who might be interested, the paks will also be available separately with the Aqua Pak going for $240 and the TerraPak (clickie) going for $255. The math then indicates that the AquaRam and AquaMule heads go for $335 ea. (postage not included in any of these prices)

Terra lights:

Last edited by McGizmo; 03-18-2014 at 12:32 PM. Reason: price correction on the Aqua Heads - my bad

Don, very cool addition to the line up.
    I will be watching for when the packs are available. Relatively inexpensive way to get a click on my light.

D'oh, I see they are available already.

Proud to be the first, I'll take one, TerraRam XPG2, etched clip and tapped hole email sent.

Last edited by LumensMaximus; 03-18-2014 at 07:29 PM.
    Collecting is all about what you don't have

Default Re: AquaMule and AquaRam 18650 lights ** Terra versions added**

Nice!!! I am tapped at the moment, but I'll be back!!! Real soon.

Default AquaMule and AquaRam 18650 lights ** Terra versions added**

E-Mail sent, one TerraRam XPG2 with tapped clip and a web coil tether with swivel.

EDIT: PayPal sent!
    Last edited by PoliceScannerMan; 03-18-2014 at 03:30 PM.

Hopefully once work picks up and bills are paid off I'll be in a position to pick up a TerraRam. They look great Don! I have to say I am impressed at the speed at which you introduced the Clicky Paks for this series; I expected that to be much farther down the road. I think they will really gain some traction around here personally.

Hi Guys,
    I screwed up on the component pricing stated and have now corrected the post. The Aqua heads are $335 ea.. Sorry for the error!

pardon my ignorance, but are the mcclickys waterproof at 30-40 meters deep ?

Quote Originally Posted by nbp View Post

I have to say I am impressed at the speed at which you introduced the Clicky Paks for this series; I expected that to be much farther down the road. I think they will really gain some traction around here personally.
    +1

I figured some time later in the year they'd be available and seeing the speed with which they've come out is making a lot of us peer into our wallets for sure!
    Marduke - Solitaire...I've seen matches which are brighter AND have a longer runtime. 光陰矢の如し

Don,
    I am just debating with myself.
    Do I order the clicky pack, or a whole new light...
    The XP-G2 version intrigues me too.

Will decide shortly.

Quote Originally Posted by Launch Mini View Post
    The XP-G2 version intrigues me too.

Will decide shortly.
    Well, I have no shortage of XML floody lights that throw OK. But I have nothing in a single XP-G2 with a big reflector that should make a decent thrower. Couple that with 4500K tint, the decision was easy for me.

Palm Springs, CA, Beverly Hills, CA, Washington, DC, New York City Manhattan

I have been on that Sub. As part of a photo assignment, it is quite fun.
    Check my Web Site: www.Redwayphoto.com

Honorary Aussie

Beautiful lights! Also love the aquarium photos. :-)
    It is better to buy a beautiful, expensive, custom flashlight than to curse the darkness.

Don, nice new offering but I'm still partial to the Aqua line. Can you show us a pic of the switch end?

Page 14 of 21 FirstFirst ... 4789101112131415161718192021 LastLast