any of the shelf optics for altilon or samsung 1x4 headlight led's?

snakebite

Flashlight Enthusiast
have not seen anything for these yet.want to do something more with them than desklamp mods.

Steve K

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is there a specific LED made for that application? any particular part number, or is a datasheet available? I'm not up on the current automotive designs, and was thinking that they were using fairly ordinary high power LEDs.

bshanahan14rulz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Why are you asking this? What is it you want to do?

Yes, look for trashed headlights that use those LEDs. They will have optics designed for those LEDs. They will also only project a headlight pattern. If you are asking if you can take a linear array and make a nice, throwy flashlight, then no, doubt you'll find anything. Best you could do, I'd think, is to find a light that uses a filament the size of the 1x4 array. Probably be looking at ~50W halogens. Then, you could try your hand at finding a way to mount the LED so that it is positioned where the filament was.

If LEDs with no optics still isn't diffuse enough, you could put them in a white box with a diffuse front to make the light a bit softer (and dimmer, can't have your cake and eat it too)

Last edited:

Steve K

Flashlight Enthusiast

nifty stuff!
I'm a little surprised to see that the Vf for the Samsung LED module is 12v nominal, and up to 15v. This pretty much requires a buck-boost converter. They are becoming more common.. and I think they can be pretty efficient, since efficiency is usually best when there is little difference between input and output.

The thermal design is pretty good too. Only 3 degrees per watt?! I wonder what the light manufacturers, as well as the car builders, do for heatsinking for the headlamp, as well as what is done to promote airflow over the heatsink.

RoGuE_StreaK

Enlightened
I went looking for info on these yesterday, seems the Audi R8 (a couple of years ago) had twin fans in the unit, but claimed they were blowing the air onto the front lens cover to dissipate snow/rain more than as a cooling system. Which is all well and good in frosty countries, not so useful for some of us (not that I'll be getting an Audi in the foreseeable future...)

Marcturus

Enlightened
And the reason for not placing this question in the automotive forum is what? It couldn't be "wanting to do more than desklamp mods?"

snakebite

Flashlight Enthusiast
like handheld spotlights,headlights for my atv,and cant forget FLASHLIGHTS!
i am not into designing a dot legal car headlamp.too much work when they already exist.
i have 3 sources of these surplus.so time to do something crazy with them.i may be able to get 100 more.

snakebite

Flashlight Enthusiast
you act like there is something wrong with using these in non automotive applications.
whats the deal?
And the reason for not placing this question in the automotive forum is what? It couldn't be "wanting to do more than desklamp mods?"

Xenocatalyst

Newly Enlightened
i have 3 sources of these surplus.so time to do something crazy with them.i may be able to get 100 more.

Did you end up getting many of these?

I was thinking these would be great for a 12v Torch or pushbike headlight. but cant find the c4-1050 for sale anywhere.