FourSevens        

Thread: Anyone have a Leatherman Raptor?

Default Anyone have a Leatherman Raptor?

Does anyone own a Leatherman Raptor? I was thinking about ordering one of these to keep in emergency pouch that I carry in a cargo pocket in my pants. Just wanting to know if this is practical or are they too large?

Enlightened

Default Re: Anyone have a Leatherman Raptor?

No. But I would like to know also, as I want to purchase one for the same thing.

I am going to buy one anyways, but have been waiting for the price to drop. I don't see that happening anytime soon, so might as well do some research before dropping $70 for some scissors! I know they had some production problems with the first batches and have been on hold for awhile, so they are hard to find.

Enlightened

After watching this how could you not get one!

Yeah I know, its awesome. I'm just worried it is too thick. All the pictures and videos make it look like it is about 5/8" thick and I don't want a large bulge in my cargo pocket.

Enlightened

Mine would go on a Load bearing Vest so as long as it s pretty flat I should find a spot for it!

I think it would work out good on vest.

Unenlightened

I've had one of these for about a year. The scissors blades are pretty stiff and durable, and with the large handle and finger rings you get a lot of leverage to cut through seams on jeans and the like. I've cut right through nylon and brass zippers without a problem. The ripping hook is ok but not outstanding. It won't rip through heavy fabric like some hooks, and it dulls pretty rapidly. The tips are rather bulky and don't slip under clothing like a good pair of Lister scissors, and you don't remotely have any tips in case you need precision or need to penetrate fabric or skin. The folding mechanism is reliable and precise.

I probably wouldn't buy a pair for two reasons. First, there's a lot going on and just a little contamination and they require a pretty major cleaning. Also, if you're using these in a real medic-related role, you need to sanitize them and then sterilize them reasonably even if just for your own safety. The second issue is that the finger rings are huge. They are presumably made for big hands wearing heavy gloves, but you don't get a lot of precision with them and if you have small hands, you find yourself just wiggling your fingers in the holes and not actuating the scissor blades. It takes fairly good sized hands to fit them. For the same price you can get a good pair of Lister bandage scissors, a pair of 5-1/2" or so operating scissors, and a hemostat, all in better-than-floor quality. Those do the job better.

I think the raptor is great. I have one but am worried about loss as they are an easy way to lose 60..00.

Default Re: Anyone have a Leatherman Raptor

My favorite shears is the Xshear, it's similar in strength to the Raptor, thicker and stronger then regular shears but is non foldable and doesn't have the extra stuff. Easier to clean, autoclaveable and imho is better for regular usage. Cheaper then the Raptors as well.
    I have a link for 10% discount if anyone wants. (I don't work for Xshear)

For someone who wants a good shears for their bag (edc- type use) I think the Raptors are great. Leatherman has a discount- for first responders.