3D mag, 3Watt TWAK, ***PICS ADDED***

harebawl

Newly Enlightened
Once again I am totally amazed.... I was really impressed with the HD R2L in my 3AA SL, but now..... I know I am a newbie with still lots to see, but, last night I finished my 3D mag mod direct driving a TWAK. All I can say is WOW!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif Not very often in life do you look forward to something and when you finally get it, it exceeds your expectations!

I comapered it with a stock 3D mag with fresh batts, and this thing totally stomps it!!! Throw and brightness!!! It almost looks like you have a light saber in your hands. Then I compared it to my SL Ultra Stinger, and of course it can't match it in throw and total light output, it doesn't do too bad against it...actually very respectable!!! The color is a very nice "HID" color and the US and Mag look sickly yellow against it!!

I just had to share this with anyone thinking of doing this mod....

ResQTech

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: 3D mag, 3Watt TWAK, DD....Unbelievable.....

Are you running it direct drive off 3 D cells? Did you use the hotlip heatsink?

harebawl

Newly Enlightened

Yes, I am running it DD off 3D's and yes I used a Hotlips heatsink!

I might have a digital camera at my disposal this weekend, I can try to get some pics....if I'm not too busy shoveling snow this weekend, thier calling for 8-15" of snow over the weekend....:(

I just had to let people know about this that are thinking of doing it... I have seen alot of beamshot pics, etc.... but you really don't know what it looks like until you see it for yourself! Maybe I am getting excited over nothing, but, it sure is impressive to me!

Wylie

Enlightened

No worries man soon you will build a mod that will just melt the snow as you walk.

DaMeatMan

Newly Enlightened

I was doing the exact same mod as yourself, TWAK in a 3D mag with hotlips heatsink. Only difference.. my TWAK has yet to arrive /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif. I've been waiting for ever for that emitter to get here, wondering if ever will. The only thing keeping me from going insane from not being able to finish it is the fact that i have a butt load of deadlines to meet for school, not to mention exams. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

FlIrishman

Newly Enlightened

So where do we get the info on how to do this mod and where to get the parts?

Geo
Melbourne, Fl

harebawl

Newly Enlightened

I got all the info on this board. There have been many that have done this mod before me.

You need to build or buy a heatsink, I bought a Hotlips heatsink made by hotbeam(highly recommended). TThen find a good ranked Luxeon emitter, maybe try "the shoppe" or "electrolumens"? You need to make a couple solder connections, some epoxy to adhere the emitter to the heatsink. Cut the mag reflector.

I think thats about it...I don't know how to post links to previous posts, but you could do a search, or maybe someone that knows better than me could post a couple links here.

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast

I have a question, I know you can get the right focus with a 5W and the mag reflector on a flat heatsink, but what about single die 1W/3W luxeons? Is the focusing point the same or do you need some sort of pedistal heatsink?

Now I'm torn between a colored 5W and a colored 3W mod... I want bright with some side spill, but the super tight beam is very intersting too from the 3W...

harebawl

Newly Enlightened

IssacHayes, I think you need the pedistal from looking at where it sits when I get it focused.

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast

harebawl: thanks for the quick response.
I'm still torn between 5W/3W mag reflector setups. I just can't decide right now!
3W has laser beam, but less side spill
5W has broader beam, and lots of side spill

5W requires extra power vs simple 3C cells..
3W requires pedistal heatsink...

I just can' choose! Only going to choose one because it's for a colored beam.....

Wildcat

Enlightened

Can this mod be done using a 2D mag and 2 3toD batteries or some such setup?

Wildcat

Sway

Flashlight Enthusiast

Harebawl,

Congrats on the mod, I did the same one the other week now all you need it to do is put 4C's in that light for a little more output. I have a 2C running 2x123 with a TWAK and it is brighter and has better throw in a smaller package /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif

harebawl

Newly Enlightened

Sway, Very interesting....Have you run the 4c's for an extended length of time??? What type of runtime do you get on the 2 123's...I just saw a 2c onsale last night at radio shack and I love the size! I need something that I can run for 1-2 hours and be alright...

Wildcat, I think you can fit 3c's in a 2d mag...

Orion

Flashlight Enthusiast

Realize that on 6 volts, the 3 watt LED is GROSSLY overdriven and could fail. A word of warning!

DaMeatMan

Newly Enlightened

Wooofreakinghoooo!!/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif Guess what just came in the mail? That's right 3 TWOK emitters! Finally i have something to throw in my lonely 3D mag that has already been modded with a hotlips and was just dying to be finished. I just finished installing the best emitter from the bunch, let it cure and then finally hit the switch. WOW! that's a bright tight spot coming out of this 3D mag and by far the whitest luxeon i own! The only thing i need now is a UCL and a new reflector for this mag, i accidentally scratched it up a bit with a previous mod. Because of the scratches i am getting a couple of artifacts in the beam. But overall i'm very pleased with this mod. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

BlindedByTheLite

Flashlight Enthusiast

the mod sounds great.. hopefully the snow wont get in the way of some pictures.

the SL 3AA mod sounds nice to.. i've been thinking about looking for someone to mod mine, if i could ever find a nice ranked luxeon.

i'll be waiting for pictures!

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast

Wildcat -

2X3toD = 9Vf. I would think, even though there is a lot of resistance in 3toDs, 9V might smoke a 3W.

Sway -

I run 4C in a 3X3W Tristar with no problems. But I would think 4C against a single 3W would be dangerous. So, I'm interested in harebawl's extended run time question for a couple of reasons.

Anyone -

Do you think a heavily sinked 3W can handle 4AAs?

DaMeatMan -

Your patience paid off? MODTWOK...woohooo! I'll bet that's fun for you.

Harebawl -

My I apologies for the OTs. Congratulations on this Mod. Glad to hear it turned out better than expected. It wouldn't be surprising if it were in the 12K Lux range some others have achieved. I'll bet you had fun building it and more fun hitting the switch. Also, thanks for sharing the extra details.

paulr

Flashaholic

9V is for a 5 watter. 4AA's into a 3W is scary even heat sinked. I'd say consider using a Downboy converter.