New Fenix LD41 XM-L2 !

martinaee

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just looked at the fenix site and apart from the new TK22 OD and new TK51 it seems they have updated the 4 aa LD41. The body looks different too most likely to help with the extra heat. Looks really nice in my opinion.

56g9.jpg

Last edited:

martinaee

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah. I have an E40 that is pretty much the same form factor. There are 4 batteries basically stacked 2 on 2. It's honestly not that long and it gives you a really good grip. That new LD41 handle looks even more grippy.

martinaee

Flashlight Enthusiast
I hope you are at least partially joking.... This is what I was talking about how fast we want more and more lumens here on CPF. Buy based on the whole light not just by how much output it has.

Let's keep this into perspective: This is as bright as tons of xm-l lights out there and brighter than lights that just a few years ago were considered pretty much the brightest led lights you could get. Anybody remember this little light called the TK40? This is brighter than that now.

:shakehead

For me the biggest actual jumps in perceptible brightness and where I actually care if something is brighter than another light are: 1 lumen - 10 lumens - 40 lumens - 120 lumens - 250 lumens - 600 lumens. I honestly don't care that much in the range of 600 to 1000 lumens. Perceptibly the payoff isn't going to be as big. When they are cranking 1500 lumens out of 4 aa's then I'll care again lol. I'm not saying there are not already brighter light out there that are putting out more than 680 but to call this light bad for 4aa instead of a powerhouse is a bit hyperbolic. Just like in cameras with more and more light after a point you are just gaining the ability to close the aperture of your eyes down more resulting in sharper acuity and better contrast and clarity of your surroundings. Tint will me also will always be more important than some extra lumens.

Another thing is Fenix tends to go the route of running their leds and lights a bit conservatively which is better for the led, better for battery life, and better for heat. There new TK22 OD green edition will be 680 lumens too if I'm not mistaken. I really want that light. Sweet OP reflector with a great tint and beam and wide hot spot but still with great throw using the xm-l2. And it looks sweet too.

Last edited:

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast
maybe no 3-5 min mandatory stepdowns from it. Hoping for a relative steady 680 for whatever duration.

martinaee

Flashlight Enthusiast
EXACTLY! That's what I was getting across with my above post. I'd much rather have the light running at 680 lumens constantly than 800 with a step down after 5-10 minutes

The body of this LD41 xm-l2 is 198 grams and the upcoming TK22 xm-l2 will be 157 grams. With that info and those fins on the head of the LD41 xm-l2 I can probably assume we won't see a step down. AWESOME!

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looks nice. But I hope the tailcap button doesn't protrude and worsens the tailstanding like with the first version. Also I would like it with a neutral option. Please Fenix; when shall you offer a neutral tint option for each model?

Sway

Flashlight Enthusiast
I hope the beam pattern has improved, I tried two different copies of the first run and both suffered from the dreaded doughnut hole.......:(

Dr.444

Enlightened
I hope you are at least partially joking.... This is what I was talking about how fast we want more and more lumens here on CPF. Buy based on the whole light not just by how much output it has.
Let's keep this into perspective: This is as bright as tons of xm-l lights out there and brighter than lights that just a few years ago were considered pretty much the brightest led lights you could get. Anybody remember this little light called the TK40? This is brighter than that now.
For me the biggest actual jumps in perceptible brightness and where I actually care if something is brighter than another light are: 1 lumen - 10 lumens - 40 lumens - 120 lumens - 250 lumens - 600 lumens. I honestly don't care that much in the range of 600 to 1000 lumens. Perceptibly the payoff isn't going to be as big. When they are cranking 1500 lumens out of 4 aa's then I'll care again lol. I'm not saying there are not already brighter light out there that are putting out more than 680 but to call this light bad for 4aa instead of a powerhouse is a bit hyperbolic. Just like in cameras with more and more light after a point you are just gaining the ability to close the aperture of your eyes down more resulting in sharper acuity and better contrast and clarity of your surroundings. Tint will me also will always be more important than some extra lumens.
Another thing is Fenix tends to go the route of running their leds and lights a bit conservatively which is better for the led, better for battery life, and better for heat. There new TK22 OD green edition will be 680 lumens too if I'm not mistaken. I really want that light. Sweet OP reflector with a great tint and beam and wide hot spot but still with great throw using the xm-l2. And it looks sweet too.

I totally respect your opinion ,, but i prefer with AA's higher output light with a step down after 5-10 minutes !

maybe no 3-5 min mandatory stepdowns from it. Hoping for a relative steady 680 for whatever duration.

**NOTICE: The LD41 will automatically enter into the High brightness level from the Turbo brightness level after a 30-minute working time with the security setting. So the runtime of the Turbo brightness level is the accumulated time.

you'll end up with 240 Lumens after half an hour on turbo :eek:oo:

martinaee

Flashlight Enthusiast
I hope the beam pattern has improved, I tried two different copies of the first run and both suffered from the dreaded doughnut hole.......:(

Well it's the xm-l2 which like the xp-g2 is supposed to have a smoother overall beam with fewer doughnut holes. MMMM..... doughnuts.

martinaee

Flashlight Enthusiast
**NOTICE: The LD41 will automatically enter into the High brightness level from the Turbo brightness level after a 30-minute working time with the security setting. So the runtime of the Turbo brightness level is the accumulated time.

you'll end up with 240 Lumens after half an hour on turbo :eek:oo:

Hmm. Where did you see that. Either way I don't think I've ever had any of my lights on for a half hour straight in my hand. And if you want you can turn it right back to turbo after it steps down, but it probably is wise to let it either go to high or sit off for a minute first to let the heat dissipate.

MichaelW

Flashlight Enthusiast
But that is Big Chinese Brother trying to make sure you don't deplete your batteries needlessly. So you can ramp it back up after that 30 minutes.
Alternatively, a new set of alkalines may just make 30 minutes before they fully choke on Turbo. (at room temperature or higher, of course)
Plus the LD series isn't as cutting edge as the PD or TK.

Spooby

Newly Enlightened
It looks ok. I would like to see its throw and flood at 680lm.

I also agree that I do not like the step down feature of most high LM lights that I am looking at.

phosphor

Enlightened
What type of work are you guys doing that requires a light with 600 lumens that will run continuously for more than 30 minutes ? I'm not being sarcastic. Are you leading night expeditions, doing search and rescue ........ caving ?

I rarely use more than 200 lumens with 40 meters of throw for more than a minute or two for my outdoor needs.

Last edited:

martinaee

Flashlight Enthusiast
Maybe it's just me, but beyond 600-700 lumens I get very self conscious if I'm anywhere near where other people might be. If I'm walking in a suburban area it definitely makes me NOT incognito. I actually like more throwy lights in a suburban setting for that reason.

And I totally agree about step down. People make such a big deal about it and maybe when it was first introduced a year or two ago in some lights it was an issue when they stepped down after 2 or 3 minutes, but a half hour before step down? Come on... That's completely doable just to ensure the light is completely fine. I see it more as a built in safety too. You can quickly turn it back on to turbo if you really are bothered by the step down and don't want to let it drop the temp a bit. And it may not even be hot if you are outdoors using it anyway when the step down is completely based on time on in turbo.

If you are on trails or REALLY large open spaces then really bright lights are more understandable. I know from first hand experience how pitch black woods can be at night since they swallow up even light from the sky and possible surrounding cities. When it comes to that for sure blast your lights like there is no tomorrow.

StorminMatt

Flashlight Enthusiast
EXACTLY! That's what I was getting across with my above post. I'd much rather have the light running at 680 lumens constantly than 800 with a step down after 5-10 minutes

Here's how I see it. I have an XM-L2 EA4. And turbo with that light is 960 lumens for three minutes before dropping down to something pretty close to the highest setting on the LD41 (the XM-L EA4 is 860 on turbo and 550 lumens on high, so assuming things are proportionate between the XM-L and XM-L2, the XM-L2 would be 614 lumens on high). But it won't drop further after that. The LD41, as has been said, drops after 30 minutes on the highest setting.

RIX TUX

Enlightened
LD41......270M beam distance - 1hr 15min runtime
E40........260M beam distance - 3hr runtime
the E40 has less lumens but a nice, tight, white beam and cost a lot less
and three simple modes

Scarfinger

Newly Enlightened
LD41: How long has this light been out? Do they make upgrades that often... maybe just for marketing to increase sales? I am kind of new but I was thinking the LD41 520 lumen was top of the line. I had been contemplating buying it and...bam, an upgrade to 860 lumens. I was kind of digging the run times on the 520 lumen model.

Looks like a new grip tread, new heat-sink fins, a picture of it tail-standing... maybe improved tail-stand? I am definitely interested. Actually I agree with martinaee with needing a more throwy light for my neighborhood. Too much flood (for example the TK41 which I tried out before gifting to my dad) seems like it would be disturbing my neighbors. E40 may be better for me. Kind of hard to tell without actually using it in the neighborhood.

Thinking about getting the e40 and ld41 :) Then keep the one I like and gift the other one. Or..keep both :)