Flashlight etiquette: corn maze

dc38

Flashlight Enthusiast
On the east coast of the yoosah. In the place wher
Accidentally blinded some sheep at a maze today. Anyways, wanted to know, which one of you had the TM15 on your head tonight? :wave:

What kinds of lights should be used? Brightness, etc...I had my newly acquired TM11, and was putting it through its paces. In such a confined area, anything above the lowest mode was near impairing...so what are your experiences with flashlights in mazes?

phosphor

Enlightened
I usually stay out of corn mazes because typically there is always someone about putting a retina searing light through it's paces..... set to "stun". :whistle:

Last edited:

StarHalo

Flashaholic
I haven't done a corn maze, but it sounds like a no-win situation; if you bring the dinky store-shelf light, it'll light a spot a few feet in front of you and that's it. If you bring a flashaholic light, even on what would normally be a reasonable output level for outdoors, it'll appear ridiculously bright versus everyone else's lights and you'll look like an overcompensating dork.

My best guess would be a mule/bare-emitter light pointing roughly straight down so no one gets glare, and you can see the relevant radius around you.

dc38

Flashlight Enthusiast
I haven't done a corn maze, but it sounds like a no-win situation; if you bring the dinky store-shelf light, it'll light a spot a few feet in front of you and that's it. If you bring a flashaholic light, even on what would normally be a reasonable output level for outdoors, it'll appear ridiculously bright versus everyone else's lights and you'll look like an overcompensating dork.

My best guess would be a mule/bare-emitter light pointing roughly straight down so no one gets glare, and you can see the relevant radius around you.

Funny you would mention the contrasting lights, SO many people had the typical Costco lights and dorcy plastics, as well as the 9 LEDs and a couple Mags. There was just one other guy who had one of the tiny monsters, recognized by its telltale red indicator ring. Judging by the length from ring to bezel, I think it was a tm15. For myself, I used the tm11 cumulatively on turbo for about 5 minutes, and found the low mode to be much more usable for about 20 minutes. Took a little under an hour to finish the maze, so I was using the rrt0 16340 with costco water bottle cap diffuser. It seemed to work the best for quick adjustments when other adventurers were coming close. ~30 min on a 50 to 500 lumens dynamic brought the charge down from 4.18 to 3.75. I'm glad I didn't start with that light, the Imr might've popped from over discharge near the end.

In retrospect, the rrt0 seems to have been my most functional light on the field. I still want to know which one of us had the tiny monster strapped to your head!

Westhaven farms, NJ

dc38

Flashlight Enthusiast
I usually stay out of corn mazes because typically there is always someone about putting a retina searing light through it's paces..... set to "stun". :whistle:

I regret to say that I did not realize the tm11 switch was so touchy...I intended to turn the light off from low, but the it ended up popping to the turbo strobe mode. I accidentally...startled some fellow trekkers...through an 8 foot deep wall of corn! I apologized profusely and heard the kids in their group yelling WOAH! I suppose I got my comeuppance when they caught up to my girlfriend and I ....they dogged us for a whole 10 minutes because we had the brightest lights. She was armed with an ea4...which was near useless in the narrow portions of the maze. The neutral tint did render the colors of the maze quite nicely though. I wonder if I would have appreciated the maze even more had I included my nichia xeno in my arsenal

phosphor

Enlightened
I imagine the Xeno on medium and high would be perfect for that environment. Even though the light doesn't have memory, comes in on medium and progresses through it's levels in the "wrong order", can't throw 100 meters, and lacks momentary and a usable "low".....I find the light covers about 99% of my illumination needs. If you don't know what your missing it's a very useful tool. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

blah9

Flashlight Enthusiast
I haven't been to one with a light yet, but I figure I'd take something like the Fenix PD32UE. That way it's pretty floody, easy to carry, and can be set to decently low levels of output or even up to a sustained 400 lumens if the place isn't too crowded.

At first I was pretty excited to consider going to one of these, but then I figured that it might not be very enjoyable to be blinded by other people the whole time. I'm still on the fence. Maybe I'll wait until next year and go in late September when less people are thinking about doing it.

dc38

Flashlight Enthusiast
I haven't been to one with a light yet, but I figure I'd take something like the Fenix PD32UE. That way it's pretty floody, easy to carry, and can be set to decently low levels of output or even up to a sustained 400 lumens if the place isn't too crowded.

At first I was pretty excited to consider going to one of these, but then I figured that it might not be very enjoyable to be blinded by other people the whole time. I'm still on the fence. Maybe I'll wait until next year and go in late September when less people are thinking about doing it.

The Event i attended was intended to be a flashlight maze, admittance after dark from 1900h to 2030h ET. I'd suggest bringing a couple different lights like I did, preferably with neutral or warmer tints. There were so many relatively dim cool blue lights bobbing around that it got kind of creepy, especially when the herd dispersed. The stalks were about 10 feet tall, and the field had no observation towers. During the last quiet leg of the maze, The neutral tint of the ea4 was rather comforting, and allowed for a more relaxing stroll in an otherwise eerily quiet environment. Went in at 1955h came out at 2045h, so we did pretty good for a 1 to 2 hour maze.

Quick impressions on the lights deployed:
nitecore ea4 NW: Great tint, extra runtime on 300 lumens, very good for long corridors. Very manageable size, and the battery indicator would've been very useful had we been in the maze for longer than expected.

nitecore tm11: decent tint on lower modes, AWESOME runtime, decent for long corridors. Found it slightly impractical as the lowest mode could be considered a high mode on smaller lights, produced lots of glare from foliage. Also kind of an inconsiderate light to employ around others in close proximity. However, great for impressing little kids.

Jetbeam rrt0 XML 16340: decent tint when paired with water bottle cap as diffuser, great flood light. Easy access to lower modes when approaching other people, rendered foliage quite nicely. Relatively soft light when diffused, even at 500 lumens. Possibly the most practical light in my arsenal that evening.

klarus st20: this is my edc task light, I feel naked without it. In the corn maze, it saw 3 seconds of use, then promptly went back into my pocket. Tint is the typical xpg cool white, more like an icy blue. While the brightness COULD have made this a useful light in this situation, the tint caused the foliage colors to POP out, making greens greener, while dulling reds and browns. It is more suited to urban environments. Utterly useless when looking for dirt patterns I left to misguide other adventurers. Intensity was too high for close up use, but an underhand carry would allow for easy mode switching. So glad the maze was a relatively tame environment.

btw, the general strategy of a maze IMO seems to be cut in as deep as you can go until you start hitting circles. The you know you're at the halfway ish point. Depending where the exit is, you then want to make your way to the back outside perimeter of the maze, and circle back around. Should've stopped to look at the map to begin with lol. The path commonly feels like omega symbols or question marks, forcing you to enjoy the entirety of the maze

Last edited:

sween1911

Flashlight Enthusiast
I did a nighttime corn maze with my daughter a few years ago. Inova X5 FTW! Had some Surefires on me as backup, but the Inova did a great job. Had it constant-on the whole time. Didn't get too hot or anything. Next time we do it, I'm bringing out the Princeton Tec headlamp.

STiFTW

Newly Enlightened
I have never heard of a corn maze done in the dark ... and I live in Iowa. I need to get on this, it would be a good excuse to buy a TK51 :D (to compliment my TK35, PD35, and TK75 I would probably bring!)

dc38

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have never heard of a corn maze done in the dark ... and I live in Iowa. I need to get on this, it would be a good excuse to buy a TK51 :D (to compliment my TK35, PD35, and TK75 I would probably bring!)

Lol, too much stuff! I'd recommend bringing the tk35 and pd35, but for the tk75 you might want a lumen monster with a smaller head. More practical for portability, but still maintain roughly the same runtimes and brightness. As far as corn mazes go, I had never been to a flashlight maze before. It was a great experience!

After using a few different lights in this scenario, I can safely say that a variable control ring paired with 3 to 500 lumens out of a diffuser is a great way to go. Too many people? Dial it down. Nobody around, and you've got a larger dark space? Let it rip! (I don't mean flatulence btw) keep in mind that 100 lumens outdoors will NOT feel like 100 lumens at home, as almost none of the light comes back to your eyes. You might find yourself turning up the brightness to compensate, but inadvertently destroy your night vision. One more thing to note, try to stick to direct drive mode lights. I had the foresight not to bring PWM based lights, as I was sure the layers of foliage and terrain textures would surely drive me crazy. Someone had a headlamp with PWM at the maze, the effect was so nauseating I just had to dial up to 2000 lumens to drown it out. Bleargh....

kelmo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I did this with my wife at night when it was the Guinness Book of World Records holder.

http://coolpatchpumpkins.com/corn-maze

I used a M6 with a MN15 and the wife used a SF L2. It was on one of the last days and it had rained the day before so not a lot of people were there. I just blazed away. The damp dull background swallowed up the beam. The extra light does not help as you are in close quarters with the corn. If I can make it this year I will use a E2L (60 lumen model). My kids will have AAA Glotoobs. The wife will most likely use our L2 again.

It would be more fun with low intensity lights IMHO. Adds to the creep factor. Keep the light cannons in the backpack.

kelmo

ledmitter_nli

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hehe. Imagine someone being there with Jurassic Park style Maxa Beams. LoLs.

Given human nature to attention whore - I'm sure it's been done.

zespectre

Flashlight Enthusiast
[insert best "Old Codger" voice here]
A corn maze story from "way back" in 2005 for ya young whippersnappers.... You know you've made a convert when...

As for etiquette, keep it pointed down, block it with your hand or whatever if needed, use the lowest level that provides a safe view of the terrain, HAVE FUN!

I do remember one corn maze where someone walked around with a mega-spotlight shining straight up the entire time. Actually it was kinda fun to be off at the observation area and watch that light "wander" it's way through the maze.

Latest posts