Nurse....light please

LEDagent

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi there, i'm posting this because it has to deal with, specifically, the Inova X1. But all recommendations can point to other light sources as well.

I'm getting to chose a light for my mom who is an RN. Over the years she's carried those diposable penlights. I remember, A LONG time ago, i once bought my mom a Maglight Solitare for her work. A few months later the head somehow fused together and refused to budge, and turn on. I'm guessing the battery leaked and did something internally. That was the first and last purchase of a Mag Solitare for me.

I'm considering the Inova X1 because it is the smallest light i know of with a tailswitch and that uses common batteries. I would LOVE to get her an Arc AAA or Arc AA...but they do not have tailswitches, which would make her job a lot easier. I've also checked out the dozens of Stylus type of LED penlights out there, but they all use hard to find batteries, and i want my mom to be able to replace them on her own if she needed to.

Are there any other lights you would recommend? I would LOVE to get her an ARC LSH-P but...i don't have that kind of money right now. Who knows...maybe i'll just give her mine. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator
The Stylus is a good choice and the batteries last a long time. You can get the batteries at your local Radio Shack.

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
Even the X1 is too bright to use to check someones eyes. If that is what she'll be using it for better stick to the Welch Allen lights designed for that /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif Arc is having a terrific sale on LS's at the moment, HERE so perhaps that brings the price down so that she can at least have the LSL.

While I think the X1 is a great light, well made and such, it is of very limited usefulness. The beam is actually TOO perfect. There is no sidespill at all. For example, you'd have to hold it up over your head to make a circle big enough to read a map in your lap. It does have a tail switch, but it's only momentary and I think a little dodgy. It flickers and is uncertain to work based on how you have the tail screwed in. You still have to tighten it up to make the light stay on.

I think an arc AAA would still be very useful. It's also considerably smaller than the X1. Extra bit of motion required to turn it on, but she'll get used to that.

EDIT: more thoughts:) I've had problems with people in the medical profession LOOSING the lights that I give them. I no longer give my wife expensive lights to carry around the hospital. They get lost, borrowed or even given away to small sick children that look on them with happiness. You might consider a $20 pack of disposable keychain lights from countycomm.com. They are nearly as bright as an arcAAA when new and if they get lost or given away or "borrowed" they only cost a dollar a piece.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
I'd second PhotonBoy's suggestion of the Dorcy AAA based on price ($6.00), availability (WalMart), and adequate brightness for checking patients at night. If the spill is too much it could easily be reduced with a little tape.

pedalinbob

Flashlight Enthusiast
i use a modified Dorcy AAA frequently to check epidural catheter placement. works very well. it rides in a pocket in my labcoat.

i didnt like the original ringy beam with the polished reflector, so i sanded the chrome off (easy to do), and replaced the LED with one that has a cleaner beam. the stocker really is fine, though.

as a nurse, i find that color rendition is fine with the little nichias, though they can be a bit blue.

though not auto-claveable, you can still wipe it down with alcohol without damage.

good luck,
Bob

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Stylus is IT. I got one for my wife who's a nurse, and she loves it. Because it is used momentarily mostly in eyes, throats, etc., the batts will last a very long time. It's brighter than an Arc AAA, and has an attachment to cover any sidespill; good for eye exams. The form factor allows it to be carried in the same traditional ways in labcoats, etc. Nurses want and love the momentary on end cap, letting them use it one handed. You can get a package of 6 batts from Brightguy for around 5 bucks, which will reload it twice. I think the runtime is over 10 hours, or something like that. One pack of batts will keep your patients in the light for the life of the refill batts, or over 5 years (energizer titaniums)...

LightScene

Enlightened
Richpalm, thanks for the link. After spending about 3 hours on research and thought, I ordered the LSL special deal.
Until tonight, I was quite sure I wasn't going to be an Arc owner, but this deal is really sweet. Since I have rechargeable AA's, I was won over by the inclusion of the 2AA pack. I was also wowed by the 123 Cells at $5 for 5. All this for $65 w/ free shipping. Incredible.

MDM

Newly Enlightened
I second the Streamlight Stylus opinions: this would definitely be the light of choice for a nurse. One hand operation, fits in the pocket, long battery life, and very bright for it's size.

richpalm

Banned
[ QUOTE ]
LightScene said:
Richpalm, thanks for the link. After spending about 3 hours on research and thought, I ordered the LSL special deal.
Until tonight, I was quite sure I wasn't going to be an Arc owner, but this deal is really sweet. Since I have rechargeable AA's, I was won over by the inclusion of the 2AA pack. I was also wowed by the 123 Cells at $5 for 5. All this for $65 w/ free shipping. Incredible.

[/ QUOTE ]

Great choice! When I do patient rounds at night my modded LS with a McFlood is just enough to bounce off the ceiling to do checks and not wake up the whole room. I use it with a Surefire lanyard. Unbeatable.

Glad I could help.

Rich

PJD

Flashlight Enthusiast
I also have to give a vote for the SL Stylus. It's perfect for anyone in the medical field. In fact, my doctor carries one, and he LOVES it...says he'd give up his stethyscope before he'd give up his Stylus!

PJD

Marcio

Newly Enlightened
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif I suggest you an Arc-AA. It is not too expensive /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/broke.gif and works very well...!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif

Whistler

Enlightened
As a MD I use an Arc AAA. Perfect. Not too bright for the job (like the X1 or Arc LS- DON't use them, patients will not be happy...)but exactly bright enough.

The Stylus is perhaps a better choice since your mother is not a flashaholic. The Arc AAA is quite small so you loose it more likely. The Arc AA has nop clip, so it's not practical for this use although it has the right size. The Stylus is more like a pen (with a tailcapswitch indeed) and less likely to loose. So the last one seems to be most practical.

Flotsam

Newly Enlightened
I use a Dorcy 1 AAA light (I somehow lost my WA penlight). The little dorcy gives out plenty of light for pupil checks, etc... (or roaming around a room checking drains/foleys/etc... w/o waking the patient). It also uses the same baterries as my beeper.

For those times I need a very bright light, I have a Surefire G2 in my labcoat (worked great for replacing a tricky tracheostomy tube the other night /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif )