Incomplete Patch leaves IE open.....

Empath

Flashaholic
That article is outdated. The present patch takes care of the problem just fine.

If you notice, the date on the article is December 9, 2003. Unless I've missed a few days, today is only the 5th. Checking the actual submission date of the article indicates that it was posted in the middle of November.

It's a curious phenomena, but I've noticed that most of the warnings about Microsoft and PC problems posted here in the Cafe seem to come from Apple users and Linux users. As Spock would say, "interesting".

Mutie

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Empath said:
It's a curious phenomena, but I've noticed that most of the warnings about Microsoft and PC problems posted here in the Cafe seem to come from Apple users and Linux users. As Spock would say, "interesting".

[/ QUOTE ]

They're just jealous that they don't have the pleasure of spending hours on end trying to figure out some obscure entry in the registry or fixing their computer yet again cause some spyware got it. Me I don't know what else I would do with the 2 to 4 hours a week I spend on my home PC with Win 98 keeping it running. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Mutech

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
I get email from PC Magazine, and that is how I ran across that (in today's email).

I use Win98SE and Mandrake Linux 9.1 Powerpack Edition, though I do all of my email and 99.9 percent of my surfing and chatting in linux.

I thought the info would be of interest to some here, so I posted it. That is my only motive.

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast
no need to bring in slashdot politics here /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Tomas

Banned
Empath said:

Well, as a Mac and UNIX user I was baited into responding to that. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I have posted a goodly number of security alerts related to the latest virus or worm clogging up internet transport or affecting computer security. The fact that these have MOSTLY (but not all) been MS related is solely due to the fact that MS software was usually the target.

I have no control over that.

I have had numerous people here at CPF thank me for the timely notices.

If 'management' has a problem with that, please let me know directly, and we can discuss which is more valuable: Rapid notification or after-the-fact cleanup.

If there is some way to more evenly balance the Microsoft vs Other OS alert frequency, I would be eager to hear that, too.

T_sig6.gif

"The Devil made me do it!" Clerow Wilson

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wasn't trying to. The slashdotters can be just as rabid as the NBMers (Nothing But Microsoft). I just feel that my system is more secure, by doing my email and most of my internet stuff in linux.

There are browsers for Windows, other than IE, which are mentioned in the article as being unaffected by the vulnerabilities in question.

I don't use IE, unless I have to, and I don't even have OE installed in my Win98SE.

Not everyone bothers to keep up with the patches, so I feel that the info is relevant.

Tomas

Banned
It's not you, Charles, I've been jumped numerous times, too, for posting "yet another MS virus alert."

Thing is, there are also folks who understand the value of being alerted in time, and have said 'thanks.'

There's another thread right now where I just posted some of the reasons I post alerts: Good morning ...

Some folks understand, some don't.

Those who don't, seem to take the alerts as a personal attack.

Simply mentioning that if you are running MS "XXX" you need a patch becomes on a par with drowning kittens or something.

Don't worry about it Charles.

T_sig6.gif

Mutie

Enlightened
I don't think he was neccessarily jumping on you. I took it more as ironic. And my follow up was supposed to be humorous.

However it simply isn't fair that you guys have these great systems that don't have problems all the time so you guys have way too much time on your hands. So just to be fair I think you guys need to write a cron script that sweeps your systems at random intervals deleteing random files.

Either that or step up to the challenge and create some Mac and Linux viruses. I mean really creating PC viruses has got to be the most boring thing in the world as it's hardly even a challenge. It's like cheating at Solitaire.

Or how about a virus that makes a PC stable? Hmmmmmm? Stick that in your I/O register and process it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

And just as a public service I will post this glaring Unix flaw. rm -r / from a root prompt will kill your entire system without even asking Are you sure? Well at least on SCO.

Mutech

Empath

Flashaholic
Thomas and Charles, no one is being "jumped" on. I did say, "as Spock would say 'interesting'". Just as Spock would not have said it as an emotional response, the same was for me. It was simply the conflicting logic of it that provoked the "interesting". Feel free to continue to post such articles; it is certainly a service.

Just let me puzzle over the incongruities, if I may.

Chris M.

Flashlight Enthusiast
As a committed Windoze/MSIE/LookOutExpress user (and those nice men in the white coats say they might release me some day /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif ) I am grateful for any and all head`s-ups on the latest exploit, worm or Trojan that`s doing the rounds. It`s a challenge to keep this old thing in one piece but I`m not paid enough to afford a Mac, and not a big enough nerd to understand Linux/Unix/*BSD (yet) so what can I do? I do my best to make sure my machine works, and make sure it isn`t used to make other people`s windoze machines not work.

I thank all non-MS users for putting up with us, for now at least.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

brightnorm

Flashaholic
If someone says "your left front tire is a little flat" I really don't care what kind of car he drives.

(Ok, lousy analogy but you get the idea. I'm grateful for any headsup)

Brightnorm