Got a concussion yesterday

sween1911

Flashlight Enthusiast
Okay, being an almost-40 dad with two kids, you'd think I knew how to be careful, but NNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

Playing with the kids yesteday afternoon, had a piece of rope I was pulling my son's tricycle across the yard. Had the bright idea that I would loop the rope on the swingset in the backyard and hold myself up. With my kids watching, I pulled myself up, lost my grip and blammo hit my head on the wood footer at the bottom of the playhouse. Woke up in the emergency room at the hospital after an ambulance ride. Have tiny slivers of images between the time I lost my grip and the time I woke up. I remember looking at my hand covered in my own blood, I remember the view from the stretcher in an ambulance, and I remember the CAT scan machine going over me. No fractures, no breaks, just a concussion and 10 staples in the back of my head. Worst part is I scared my daughter. My son's not really old enough to have a frame of reference, but my daughter tried to revive me when I went down, and then ran inside to get my wife. She did great though and I reassured her she did the right thing.

One thing I want to mention, which is why I'm sharing this on CPF, is hours later after my wife took me home, I sat back at the kitchen table and looked down to see the WF-139 charging my two 18650's. The light was green and it was good, but I silently cursed myself. I had set that up before going out to play with the kids. If I had to stay at the hospital, I would have forgotten to tell my wife to unplug that thing. Wouldn't want that thing sitting with those cells overnight. It all worked out more or less. We had an emergency services drill in the house. If anybody gets hurt, I'm glad it was me and not the kids or my wife.

Take care of your family members and tell them you love them. And to all you dads out there, you're not a kid anymore! :)

Thanks,
- Joe

FlashKat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am glad to hear you are okay :)
Be careful, and if you feel any complications go to the emergency right away. My best friend's dad fell and hit his head, and he went to the hospital for treatment where he was taken care of. A week later they rushed him to the hospital where he past away.

sween1911

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am glad to hear you are okay :)
Be careful, and if you feel any complications go to the emergency right away. My best friend's dad fell and hit his head, and he went to the hospital for treatment where he was taken care of. A week later they rushed him to the hospital where he past away.

I hear ya. I'm carefully monitoring myself. All feels good. My wife is constantly checking my behavior, even more than usual. :)

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
Scary stuff. Glad everything's okay. Nothing like those little reminders of just how fragile we really are.

Geoff

dudemar

Flashlight Enthusiast
Keep an eye out for any symptoms of TBI. I had a concussion 2 years ago and my life hasn't been the same since. :(

sween1911

Flashlight Enthusiast
Funny thing, I had a pending trade on the marketplace. I had to mail a part on Monday morning. I told my wife when I woke up "I have to mail a bezel." She's like "You're not making sense!" :)

RIX TUX

Enlightened
Glad you are ok, hope you have no further complications.
I had one 5 years ago (fell off a roof) and I can't smell anything which also affects the taste of foods.
I feel lucky and dont ride motorcycles any more because after you have one another could be worse.