KPR103 vs Mag Xenon Star 4 Cells

CalgaryGuy

Enlightened
Which one of those two is brighter on a 4 cell flashlight?
KPR103 is krypton bulb design for 3 cells but seem to be safe to use it on a 4 cell flashlight.
Mag Xenon Star 4 Cells is a safer non-overdriven but not as bright as XPR113 (xenon 4 cell) which Radio Shack once carry.

charliek

Enlightened
I'd stick with the Xenon made for 4 cells just to be on the side of reliability. The Magnum Xenon lamp produces a tighter beam- if that's what you're after...

ResQTech

Flashlight Enthusiast
Try a Mag bulb designed for the 3 cell, it's slightly overdriven but a lot whiter and brighter.
-ERiC

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
It would be far too much trouble for me to test again, but I feel running a M*g 4 cell Xenon on Alkalines, beats a KPR103 on rechargables BIG TIME in my TEC 40.

103 on NimH is how it's setup now, but if I get another Xenon, I'm putting it back that way for sure!

charliek

Enlightened
I popped a Xenon mag bulb in a Dorcy "Solid state" replacing that timid little 1 white LED- it kicks butt.... in a stubby little form factor as well.. Not as compact as the Tec 40.

CalgaryGuy

Enlightened
Can't find Mag Xenon 4 Cells in town so I just picked up a Mag Krypton 3 Cells which I'll be using for now. Will keep an eye open for the Mag Xenon 4 Cells

KPR103 in Calgary is over-priced... $3.99 cdn here while it's $1.29 in US...

charliek

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
CalgaryGuy said:
Can't find Mag Xenon 4 Cells in town so I just picked up a Mag Krypton 3 Cells which I'll be using for now. Will keep an eye open for the Mag Xenon 4 Cells

KPR103 in Calgary is over-priced... $3.99 cdn here while it's $1.29 in US...

[/ QUOTE ]

Have you checked out mail order?

charliek

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
CalgaryGuy said:
$3.99 Cdn is what shows up when I look it up on the www.radioshack.ca web page.
$1.29 US is what's on www.radioshack.com web page.
Not sure how the mail order works, I assume it's free if I pick it up at the store but still, price difference bothers me since conversion is $1 US = $1.50 Cdn.

[/ QUOTE ]

Absolutely! That would bother me as well. If you're interested in the Mag bulb there are a few other dealers I can think of that carry it.
Check out Brightguy or Flashlight King.

CalgaryGuy

Enlightened
Charliek, yeah, I checked some of those guys but shipping to Canada usually cost more and I have to pay GST and service charge so I try to stay with mail order stores in Canada.

Techmedic

Enlightened
Calgaryguy,

Try R. Nicholls on the web. Ordered m*g xenon bulbs for upgrading some el-cheapo lights and they cost (if I remember correctly...) about $5.00 each Canadian. They also have Streamlight and Surefire products in-stock in Canada. They supply Canadian Police and military groups. Great to deal with.

http://rnicholls.flattext.com/

Cheers!

mattz357

Newly Enlightened
So would any of you say that you DON'T recommend the Mag-num star bulb for the 3D? I was going to get one for my dad, but if you guys say no I won't. Thanks!

Big_Ed

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Mag-num star Xenon is what you are looking for. The older Mag-num star is just a krypton bulb with a lens built into the end of the bulb. Just make sure it says "Xenon" on the package. I've had good luck with these. My Mag 3-D seems as white, and as bright as my Mag 4-D with Xenon bulb. Definitely a good cheap upgrade.

mattz357

Newly Enlightened
My Walmart doesn't have the 3D bulbs, only the 2D, would the 2D work in a 3D? What difference would there be? Thanks in advance!

Big_Ed

Flashlight Enthusiast
The 2-D would be very bright, but you would be overdriving it by 50%. You would probably pop that bulb in a very short time. Check your local hardware stores for Mag bulbs. Those places seem to have more of the Xenon ones. I've never seen a Xenon bulb at any of the Walmarts near me. Try Ace and True Value.