You have to keep the head unscrewed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mark_Larson

Enlightened
I received a modded Arc AAA today, and while its nice and small and all, i don't understand one thing - it has to have the head unscrewed partway to keep it from switching on?

Just so i understand this right, i have to keep the head unscrewed and screw it fully in when i want to use it?

How do you guys deal with it in keychain use? Doesn't the head screw/unscrew in the pocket? I know i've had the unscrewing problem millions of times with my chapstick. I'd hate to see the batt run down when i need it, or have the head unscrew itself and fall out of my pocket.

The battery also rattles. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif

HesNot

Enlightened
I've never had either of my AAAs turn on unintentionally. They both require a reasonable amount of force to screw the head in. And neither of mine has a batter rattle (due to the foam insert which may have been removed in your mod) although my CMG Infinity Ultra rattles like crazy.

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello Mark. What kind of modification has been made to the light? We need to know if the effect you are seeing is a result of this modification.

Peter

treek13

Flashlight Enthusiast
With my Arc-AAA's, I have never had the head screw/unscrew in my pocket in over a year of carrying it every day. It has never turned on by accident and the head has never unscrewed by accident.

Also with a normal Arc-AAA, the battery doesn't rattle because there is a foam ring inside it.

Since yours is a mod & not the retail version, I'm afraid you are stuck with the battery rattle unless you can find something similar to use.

Pat

Quickbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Try Dr. Scholl's corn patches to prevent battery rattle. Cut to size if necessary and attach to the base of the head. This is what it looks like with the factory provided foam ring attached:

arc_aaa-p_head.jpg

Likewise, unless the head is really loose, it should not tighten or loosen in your pocket. None of mine ever have.

Mark_Larson

Enlightened
Aside from that minor issue, the light is great! The mod is LED_mods_as_small_as_possible's LS mod with a half-ball lens.

n-thickness.jpg

arcaaa01.jpg

BF Hammer

Enlightened
Not knowing the extent of the LS LED mod on the light, a factory stock Arc AAA has an O-ring that seals the battery compartment to make it water resistant, and that adds enough friction to make it difficult for the head to screw down or unscrew unless you intentionally do so with your fingers. The doughnut-shaped foam pad also adds some friction, but most of the effect is from the O-ring. It's a very simple and reliable switching mechanism that works well. I keep one on my key-chain and it has always stayed assembled without switching on. The solitare light that I previously had on my keychain used to unscrew itself with regularity. That annoyance went away the day I threw the Mag in the trash.

Commander

Enlightened
Maybe you could put an extra O-ring into the space between the head and buddy of the light?

This way it will not light.

__________ ___
___BATT___ ___ Head
Extra O-ring ^

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts