i found a 6d maglite

xer0

Newly Enlightened
how do i make it brighter?

or just throw it back where i found it?

x-ray

Flashlight Enthusiast
Get a bulb designed for a 5 cell mag and overdrive it in your 6 D (it wont last as long as the standard bulb, but should be considerably brighter)

The Magnum Star Krypton for 5C-Cell and 5D-Cell would probably be the best bulb to use:

m66030.jpg

Skyline

Enlightened
Hehehe.. I have a 6D Maglite. Every once in a while I turn it on and remark to myself how weak it is compared to a Surefire P61.

I keep mine by my bed as an emergency bludgeon.
grin.gif

laynlow

Newly Enlightened
I have a 6D also. It is kinda funny how dim it is when you consider how large it is. The 6D is my rough and tumble light. It rides behind the seat brackets in the back seat of my Explorer. I think it was made to slide in there.

One thing about the Mag is its long run time. I have a friend who buried his Dodge 4x4 truck up to the axel's in mud trying to pull out another friend who buried his Chevy 4x2 in the mud. That mag ran for 12 straight hours on used batteries. When you need usable light for a very long time, the 6D is tough to beat.

donn

Newly Enlightened
Originally posted by x-ray:
Get a bulb designed for a 5 cell mag and overdrive it in your 6 D (it wont last as long as the standard bulb, but should be considerably brighter)
[/IMG]
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">X-ray I tried that and it didnt work, or didnt seem to work. Was I doing something wrong? Also do you know anyway in the UK that seeling the xenon magnum stars? I e-mailed maglite before Christmas and got a reply saying theyd be on sale in the new year.
Cheers
D.

x-ray

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by donn:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Originally posted by x-ray:
[/IMG]
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">X-ray I tried that and it didnt work, or didnt seem to work. Was I doing something wrong? Also do you know anyway in the UK that seeling the xenon magnum stars? I e-mailed maglite before Christmas and got a reply saying theyd be on sale in the new year.
Cheers
D.
</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I don't know of any shops that carry them here in the UK, However they are available to order from Toolshop.

Cost is 3 Euros each (about £1.95) and shipping to anywhere in Europe is free.

Eric S

Newly Enlightened
My 6D mag with overdriven 5 cell bulb puts out around 140 to 150 lumens. It put out more light than my Surge and out throws my SL6 at its tightest focus.

It compares to my 2C/3-123L Mag w/6v bulb.

Eric

xer0

Newly Enlightened
Originally posted by Rifter:
Put a 5W LS in it
smile.gif
or 2 or 3
smile.gif
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">whats that?..

to me it is birght, never seen any other
flashlites

Skyline

Enlightened
Originally posted by xer0:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Originally posted by Rifter:
Put a 5W LS in it
smile.gif
or 2 or 3
smile.gif
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">whats that?..

to me it is birght, never seen any other
flashlites
</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">A 5 Watt Luxeon Star LED. It's the latest/brightest LED.

You might look into some Surefire flashlights. Pretty much any of them will embarrass a stock Maglite 6D.

Entropy

Enlightened
Luxeon Star

It's a high-brightness LED. Typical LEDs (such as 5mm Nichias) are rated around 70 milliwatts. Lumileds, a joint venture between Philips and Agilent I believe, makes 1 watt and 5 watt LED emitters, known as Luxeon Stars.

A 5W cyan is BRIGHT. And in a 6D Mag it'll last a long time.

5W whites are almost impossible to come by. There are currently two known sources, both with limited quantity: Spares from ElektroLumens' group buy ($35, very limited quantity), and ordering from Arc Flashlight ($45 + shipping). These are NOT drop-in replacements, you'll need to do some soldering to get an LS running in a Mag, and you'll need to get some sort of heatsink. (Supposedly Lambda on these forums has some, I'm awaiting an email back from him.)

You can get premade 5W drop-ins for the 6D from www.inretech.com, although at a price... Inretech has no single-emitter 5W mods, just 3 and 6 emitter mods, which are expensive. ($200 for a 3-emitter white.)

donn

Newly Enlightened
Thanks X-ray. For some reason I always forget that Toolshop exist.