UK Shops? And branding?

AnthonyMcEwen2014

Enlightened
I know I am not meant to post links so not sure how to ask this...

But what are the better UK online based shops (UK delivery) for this hobby? Somewhere reliable with genuine items / safe shopping (e.g PayPal accepted or valid other security measures.) and reasonable delvery?

As I know there are a lot of fakes out there.

One I have found is fenixTorch (.co.uk) hope a non working indirect link is allowed like this?

Are they a genuine retailer for these light have any of you used them before?

And lastly what are the more popular brands and why? Any I should be avoiding?

I see a lot of fenix on this site any reason? They they just make good light for reasonable prices and generaly a go to brand that just make things right?

I also see zebra are common?

Are some company's better value than others (I know that's the cases in the pushbike indrusty and most industrys.)

And I see the odd Olight as well?

I'm just a noob to this hobby who wants to learn about the brands etc and places to buy from.

I will have more specific Q's when I can afford a new torch primary looking at fenix TK and PD range ATM but that's a subject for another thread at a later date in the recomndations sub form not here, thanks very much in advance!

Last edited:

gravelmonkey

Enlightened
:welcome: UK online retailers include flashaholics.co.uk, fenixtorch.co.uk, ledfiretorches.co.uk, I've personally used all three and am happy to recommend them all.

Overseas often works out cheaper, but has obvious downsides if you need to return a product under warrenty etc. Just so you're aware- Import duty is supposed to be paid on products over £15 in value (including postage) OR £36 on gifts between individuals. Over £15, you'll pay 20% VAT +£8 handling fee. That said, 'they' don't catch all the items so you might get away with not paying it.

Fenix brand stuff is pretty good, you hit the nail on the head with "reasonable prices and generally a go-to brand that just make things right". I'd say it's in the same price/quality bracket as Olight, Foursevens, Eagletac, Nitecore, Zebralight etc. There will be models which are more reliable/better value/etc from each manufacturer.

Zebralight has been offering compact, bright, efficient headlamps and torches for a number of years now, one of their biggest selling points is the user interface they use which allows easy access to high, medium and low from off. They've had some issues with waterproofing over the years, some CPF members swear by them, others avoid them like the plague.

Happy torch hunting!

PS- From what I gather, unless they sponsor/advertise on CPF/CPF MP then:
Clicky link= not allowed
Full URL as text= Allowed but possibly frowned upon by mods,
Name of site (without .co.uk etc)= Preferred.

Last edited:

AnthonyMcEwen2014

Enlightened
Cheers guys thanks very much.

I'll have to check out those sites, and lol cheaper in US yes, RIP OFF Britain, cost more pounds than dollars even though dollars worth less how's that work?

But as said takes long on delivery/and overseas after sale and returns is never great, my dads normally in America for a few weeks every few mouths though so I guess its something to think about.

Anyways cheers!

MattSPL

Enlightened
I've also used Flashaholics and Ledfiretorches. Very good, fast service from them both.

8steve88

Newly Enlightened
Satisfied customer of Flashaholics and Heinnie Haynes, prices can be a lot higher than direct from overseas, you take your choice, you take your chances.

AnthonyMcEwen2014

Enlightened
Yhea problem is add on tax and customs is it worth waiting the extra time to save small amounts of money, and then have no way to easily return if you need to.

On big ticket items I get it like say I was going to spend £100 or more many but for most I'm currently happy with paying a bit more for the speed and security it offers, although I may be sneaky and next time my dad goes over to america I'll Gert him to bring back some goodies thus getting us prices and not having to pay for international shipping/tax/customs ect....MUHAHAHAHA!

gravelmonkey

Enlightened
Been heavily browsing all of them XD.

Yhea problem is add on tax and customs is it worth waiting the extra time to save small amounts of money, and then have no way to easily return if you need to.

On big ticket items I get it like say I was going to spend £100 or more many but for most I'm currently happy with paying a bit more for the speed and security it offers, although I may be sneaky and next time my dad goes over to america I'll Gert him to bring back some goodies thus getting us prices and not having to pay for international shipping/tax/customs ect....MUHAHAHAHA!

Oveready is US based but ships to the UK. Have had Peaks and modified a Surefire through them. Easily my favourite site to drool over cool lights at the moment (painful on the wallet though!) :broke:

Occasionally lights from UK based CPF'ers pop up over on the Marketplace. If you're looking for (normally good condition) second hand, UK based goods, then it might be worth a peek.

AnthonyMcEwen2014

Enlightened
Thanks for letting me know about over ready I knee the site but not the shipping bit, yhea market place is great to pick up deals, even if its not UK as any were in Europe avoids huge customs bills.

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
With proper searching you will find some regular brands in UK retail and trade stores.For instance i buy some Fenix from a boat shop on the Isle of Anglesey,does not stock the full range but always had the one i wanted and at the same price as on-line dealers.Most trade stores such as Screw Fix Arco etc stock Led.Machine Mart even have there own brand as do Tesco.

The biggest selling Led light in stores is the Led Lenser brand,you can pick them up in Trade outlets-Walking/Hiking/Caving/Climbing stores and many other stores as well.

It is a case of searching. B&Q-Home base all stock a decent range of better lights to suit most budgets.

rockhopper

Newly Enlightened
Cheers guys thanks very much.

I'll have to check out those sites, and lol cheaper in US yes, RIP OFF Britain, cost more pounds than dollars even though dollars worth less how's that work?

But as said takes long on delivery/and overseas after sale and returns is never great, my dads normally in America for a few weeks every few mouths though so I guess its something to think about.

Anyways cheers!

Being in a similar situation as you, but in the Netherlands I can just say that most USA sites list prices without VAT as where most European sites list them with VAT. It doesn't fully justify the price difference but the gap is a bit smaller if you look at it that way. I prefer to buy close to home since international delivery time usually is both expensive and takes long, not to mention the hell you go through if you have to fall back on warranty.

AnthonyMcEwen2014

Enlightened
^^ Agree 100% As said thought nice knowing some one who regularly goes to America, I often buy electronic stuff from the USA when my dad goes soooo much cheaper! And I have no problems and don't feel guilty at all that I am cheating customs haha...

Harry23

Newly Enlightened
I see you get a free photon light when you spend over £50 at flashaholics!

8steve88

Newly Enlightened

All the Chinese sellers that I use offer free postage so I only get one item at a time and the value is usually low and a small package or parcel, if the Border Agency picks on one then it's low tax to pay then there's the Royal Mail re-packing fee of £8 - for a couple of strips of parcel tape, robbing barstewards.

ven

Flashaholic
I take my chances,found a couple of reputable shops in china/hong kong.......yep reputable. Dont get me wrong i buy stuff from UK and support our shops but when i can get same flashlight for £30 instead of £60 or £70 its a no brainer.End of day i am cutting the middle man out,they only import them themselves..........No real issue so far,even so the money saved it would take about 10 flashlights not turning up to break even with UK purchases.Also cover myself using paypal(i know not best but at least some protection).Just my opinion......I dont have any local decent flashlight stores,so returning by post,recorded is around 1/2 the value of an imported light some times.To add further a few shops from far and away have UK return addresses too so no need to post back over to HK for example

AnthonyMcEwen2014

Enlightened
I take my chances,found a couple of reputable shops in china/hong kong.......yep reputable. Dont get me wrong i buy stuff from UK and support our shops but when i can get same flashlight for £30 instead of £60 or £70 its a no brainer.End of day i am cutting the middle man out,they only import them themselves..........No real issue so far,even so the money saved it would take about 10 flashlights not turning up to break even with UK purchases.Also cover myself using paypal(i know not best but at least some protection).Just my opinion......I dont have any local decent flashlight stores,so returning by post,recorded is around 1/2 the value of an imported light some times.To add further a few shops from far and away have UK return addresses too so no need to post back over to HK for example

Thx, interesting, do you avoid customs that way? I'd imagine you would as HK sellers normally put a lower price on the packets.