Need your opinions : Sunwayman T45C or Nitecore P16

Martin80

Newly Enlightened
Hi,

I'm about to buy my first 18650 flashlight. I'd like to have your opinions on these 2 models. I'm also thinking about buying 2600 or 3100 MaH Nitecore 18650s with a nitecore i2 or i4 charger. Give me your 2 cents about that please!

donn_

Flashaholic
I can't speak to the P16 (although I have a Vinh-modded P15 enroute), but I have a T45C, also modded by Vinhnguyen54, and it's a fantastic light. The deep and smooth reflector makes it a great thrower, and the UI is perfect. The mod includes replacing the factory emitter with a de-domed 6500K XM-L2 on a copper sink pad, and a current boost to 3.8A. For its size, it's a real screamer with a beautiful neutral tint.

viperxp

Enlightened
Hi,

I'm about to buy my first 18650 flashlight. I'd like to have your opinions on these 2 models. I'm also thinking about buying 2600 or 3100 MaH Nitecore 18650s with a nitecore i2 or i4 charger. Give me your 2 cents about that please!

Better buy Xtar charger. WP2S if you want more value for money and integrated powerbank, VP1 if you want exclusive voltmeter built in or the XP4 - to be universal, like Nitecore I4 but much better.
About the batteries - Nitecores use Panasonic cells, so if you want more value for money you don't need nitecore, just buy protected panasonic 3100/3400 . Decent batteries should last as Nitecore, but cost much less.
About the flashlights - if you would tell your needs it would be easier to advice. Based on your dilema, your needs are unclear :)

Martin80

Newly Enlightened
Well, i was going for the D40A, but changed my mind because i wanted to switch to 18650. I'm looking for a versatile flashlight that i can use in many situations (inside and outside), with a good throw and spill and long runtime. P16 is new and so is the T45C thats why they caught my attention. I will take a look at the suggestions you made for the charger and batteries!

thedoc007

Flashlight Enthusiast
...or the XP4 - to be universal, like Nitecore I4 but much better.

Actually, the XP4 has similar issues to the Nitecore i4, namely it is not good with NiMH batteries. Undercharges some, and overcharges (fails to terminate properly) on others. In my opinion, given the much lower price and similar performance, the i4 is a MUCH better value. For my purposes, for less than $20, the i4 does it all.

ven

Flashaholic
I went for the i4 for 2 reasons,first great value at £12 delivered,2nd it has the option for charging more cells obv over the i2.This i need but may come in handy for future purchases for you so proves more versatile long term.Its of good quality too build wise,cant comment on charging nimh as have a vapex charger for my eneloops thats great.
One comment on i4,it is quite tight with the 18650 cells,quite a but of resistance on my i4 pulling back the spring loaded contact(may differ to others),nothing major or a deal breaker though.
Flashlight wise wow a tough one personally,like both tbh,but would go for the sunwayman now....................then get the p16 later:D

Martin80

Newly Enlightened
The good thing about the T45C is that you have 2 X 18650 so more runtime. But other than that, its a tough choice....

Martin80

Newly Enlightened
I'm also wondering if the batteries like the nitecore ones will fit the T45C.

donn_

Flashaholic
I've run AW, Eagletac and Soshine 3400s in mine. I tried the big green Panasonics, but they were too fat, although another member has said he got them into his light.

Martin80

Newly Enlightened
Ok i got an answer from the site i want to order from:

Hi,

Yes. Nitecore NL188 3100 fit T45C. Thanks

Regards,
Stanley - hkequipment

regulation

Newly Enlightened
Not sure why these two light. quite different. And the P16 only gets the 960LM for three minutes and then step down to 230LM. A really big jump.

agnelucio

Newly Enlightened
Just make sure that the charger for any LiPo is good quality. I have experience with RC aircraft batteries, so I know how bad it can be if they go wrong.

Also, Make sure that, for any flashlight, you know how long the very highest mode actually runs for continuously, as many manufacturers are 'selectively' truthful about this.

Disciple

Enlightened
I have read reviews commenting that the Nitecore chargers get warm or hot. The Xtar chargers seem to be better regarded. If you are going to get into multi-cell lights you might consider the VP1 with integrated volt meters. (It is important to check voltage to confirm condition for multi-cell lights.) The VP1 is rather expensive but I got mine for $31.25 from FastTech. (Bad name: shipping takes a while but prices are good and products genuine.). If you may use 26650 cells or want the option of rapid charging (which reduces cell life) consider the SP2.

See this site for instrumented reviews of various chargers, including both the VP1 and SP2.

Overclocker

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not sure why these two light. quite different. And the P16 only gets the 960LM for three minutes and then step down to 230LM. A really big jump.

Missed that on the specs of the P16... thanks for the info!

nitecore says that it steps down to an UNSPECIFIED LOWER LEVEL. 230 lumens is just an assumption made by those who think that it actually steps down to the MED level. a claim that hasn't been verified yet