ANYONE EVER HEAR OF "POWER Tac"?

Capolini

Banned
Have any of you ever heard of Power Tac?

I haven't, until today! :rolleyes: The company is located in Raleigh, N.C. U.S.A.

I am not exactly sure how this happened? :thinking: I sent an email to "Olight" regarding the M22 that I am getting. It must have been Olight USA.The response did not have too much to do with the M22 other than this. He said it is a good light, "But"!!! The first part he commented on about the M22 stepping down in power after 6 to 8 minutes was right. The second part saying that after the step down it only puts out half of its output, I believe is wrong! It loses 25% of its output and from what I am told [SB's post on his review thread]it can go back to turbo. I would absolutely trust SB more than a guy trying to promote his flashlights! ;)

From what I gathered I think this company also sells Olights but he was specifically trying to promote these "Power Tac" lights. I believe the parts are made in the U.S.A. and then shipped to China to be assembled.I briefly checked the website out and noticed several lights that resembled Thrunite, Nitecore and Olight, not only in appearance but also some of the specifications.

THE TIME IS YOURS! :cool:

donn_

Flashaholic
They look like a re-brander. Look under Search and Rescue lights...their "Thunderbolt" is a Thrunite TN31. It's out of stock, and sports a horribly high price.

Capolini

Banned
They look like a re-brander. Look under Search and Rescue lights...their "Thunderbolt" is a Thrunite TN31. It's out of stock, and sports a horribly high price.

I agree!! All there stuff is high priced.That thunderbolt is the first one I looked at and compared its output and price to the TK-75,,,,,,,,It would be an easy decision which one to pick!

Here is their website if anyone is interested!

http://powertacusa.com/flashlights/search-rescue

Capolini

Banned
This is probably one of the most important things to me. Mostly because of my beginners mistakes/experiences!

I looked at about 6 of their lights.

None of them had the ANSI/NEMA FL 1 standards!! I will not purchase a light unless I see that!

This outweighs their inflated prices and lack of reputation.

moshow9

Flashlight Enthusiast
At one time I was the owner of a PowerTac Cadet:
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?332341-PowerTac-Cadet-A-small-review

I think visually it was a nice light to look at. Functionally, if one doesn't mind it's downfalls it can be a serviceable light. In the end it wasn't for me. The next time I read (heard) their brand name was after the Thrunite Ti's had been released. PowerTac had their own versions (OEM for Thrunite?) identical to the Ti's. Other lights released by them were also similar to other releases.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
I own a Powertac Warrier Reloaded. Built in charger, four levels, and strobe. I've been using it more recently. Probably 500 lumens +, that using bounce with a lightmeter and comparing it to some of my other lights. Very reliable brute of a flashlight. Uses one 18650.

Bill

Chadder

Enlightened
I was at a farm show here in the Midwest a couple of weeks ago. I was surprised when I happened upon a flashlight booth. They were SoCal flashlights and they had the whole power tac line and Olight line. The guy told me they were in cahoots.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

zespectre

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a few "PowerTac" lights and have done a couple of reviews.

-Real World Review - The PowerTac "Warrior" Rechargable Package

-Real World Review - Powertac E3 1xAAA

They do seem to be "rebranded" lights overall, to the extent that in the "E3" revew I even say;
As far as I've been able to tell this light is simply a re-branded "ThruNite Ti". Since every particular I have inspected is identical I am simply going to link to a Ti review for the technical specifics.

As to prices, I can't say, I got good deals on my samples but I've heard of others paying quite a bit more.

If you go to the "Olight USA" site, they now have a "PowerTac" section so I guess they've teamed up.

The bottom line -for me- is that I've actually been very pleased with the PowerTac lights I own.

Last edited:

Capolini

Banned
I was at a farm show here in the Midwest a couple of weeks ago. I was surprised when I happened upon a flashlight booth. They were SoCal flashlights and they had the whole power tac line and Olight line. The guy told me they were in cahoots.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

I have not heard that word[cahoots] in a while!!! It made me laugh! :laughing:

I think you are right. Through my Email to Olight U.S.A. is how I got their response.

What I am not sure of is why the guy[Bam! Yes, that was his first name!]]was down playing Olight to an extent when they are apparently in "Cahoots" together!! :thinking:

One thing I was impressed with was their "Torture test". They shot it with a shot gun several times, froze it for many hours, set it on fire, dragged it around from the back of a vehicle and it still worked!

tobrien

Flashlight Enthusiast

what's also weird is that the phone number on their site is a VoIP number, so I wonder where their office is really

Capolini

Banned
what's also weird is that the phone number on their site is a VoIP number, so I wonder where their office is really

Raliegh, North Carolina 919-883-5265!!!

See post # 3 for their website.

Call them and tell them to get their lights standardized by ANSI/NEMA FL 1 !!!!

BOHAWG

Newly Enlightened
:caution::caution::caution: PowerTac is a bit expensive, but I am the owner of the PowerTac HERO and its pretty awesome>>> Its USB rechargeable and it can be used as a charger for any small device that is charged via USB. It boasts 800 lumens and is pretty close..... BTW.... I own about three hundred torches and I have had plenty of them take a crap....... and they had ANSI/NEMA standards......

Chadder

Enlightened
I have not heard that word[cahoots] in a while!!! It made me laugh! :laughing:

I think you are right. Through my Email to Olight U.S.A. is how I got their response.

What I am not sure of is why the guy[Bam! Yes, that was his first name!]]was down playing Olight to an extent when they are apparently in "Cahoots" together!! :thinking:

One thing I was impressed with was their "Torture test". They shot it with a shot gun several times, froze it for many hours, set it on fire, dragged it around from the back of a vehicle and it still worked!

You need to come to a farm show in the Midwest and you will hear words like (cahoots) all the time. I forgot to mention that the sales guy said they are being used a lot in the military. I just smiled but wanted to say almost every flashlight company out there says the same thing!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Capolini

Banned
:caution::caution::caution:

BOHAWG's quote below.

BTW.... I own about three hundred torches and I have had plenty of them take a crap....... and they had ANSI/NEMA standards...

I don't doubt that! The specs. have nothing to do with how the torch was built! That[your comment above] is irrelevant! ;)

BTW.... that is NOT my point!

It is nice to know that the specifications are" standardized". I like to know the cd's, lumens, run times,beam distance ect. for a light before I purchase it! I want to know what I am getting in that respect instead of being "left out in the dark"! :eek:

I put NO TRUST in manufacturers/dealers who sell lights that don't use those standards. I learned the hard way in the beginning buying lights like Trustfire.What they claim and what you get are TWO DIFFERENT THINGS! :thumbsdow

Last edited:

tobrien

Flashlight Enthusiast
It is nice to know that the specifications are" standardized". I like to know the cd's, lumens, run times,beam distance ect. for a light before I purchase it! I want to know what I am getting in that respect instead of being "left out in the dark"! :eek:

I put NO TRUST in manufacturers/dealers who sell lights that don't use those standards. I learned the hard way in the beginning buying lights like Trustfire.What they claim and what you get are TWO DIFFERENT THINGS! :thumbsdow

then try Surefire?

Capolini

Banned
then try Surefire?

No thanks!!! I know they have a good reputation but way over priced in my opinion!

Example: Olight Triton M3X vs. Surefire M3LT

I was amazed in how much more superior the hot spot was on the Olight M3X!!

More focused,brighter, penetrating,intense and piercing. Along with a lot more flood. :thumbsup:

Olight M3X:$129 MSRP Surefire: $395/$420 on their website!!! Unbelievable. Not only 3X the price, it is "INFERIOR"!! :thumbsdow

Watch the video on You tube if you have not seen them side by side! Listen to what he says in the beginning!! The Surefire WAS great a year ago!!! ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=puYnArffKoI

My M3X WILL BE ARRIVING Wednesday!! :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Capolini

Banned
I want to apologize for getting "Off Topic", Post #17.

In all honesty I do not really have any more comments about Power Tac!

If anyone else does, feel free to add some input.Knowing me , I may have a response!

It is getting Dark,,,,,,,,,,It is the Bosses[Capo the Siberian] favorite time and also mine!

Have a good night everyone!