Fenix Power step down / How dose it work?

AnthonyMcEwen2014

Enlightened
I'm looking at getting a fenix as an EDC to replace my P14 which is to big / heavy / not bright enuf.

I'm likely going to end up with a PD35 as have read the whole of this thread http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?361481-pd35 and despite some negatives like tint ( that doesn't bother me) it looks to me to be what I am after. Shame about no tailstand through, not bothered by the spikes at the the end of the the light whatever they were called, SOS is a shame but not a deal breaker.

Also looking at the TK22 SE but its not quite the same shape as doesn't look like it would be as good as a EDC to slip into a pocket ect....anyways what I get is not the question here

WHAT I WANT TO KNOW IS how dose fenix manage the step down, let's take the PD35 it steps down from 850-450 after five mins but that's not an issue but it steps down yet again from 450 after 30mins, this is due to heat, however dose it step down on a timer or dose it have an actual heat senser then step down when it hits a certain temp.

As I planned on also using it as a helmet mounted bik light or even bar mounted so I hope its NOT a timer as on a bike it would have cooling so I was hoping I could run it on the 450 setting indeffintly or at least a lot longer than the half hour stated by fenix as 450 is OK for my type of ridding but if it steps down on a timer after 30 mins it would drop down to 170 which just would not be enuf, and really a shame, I really do hope they do it on actual heat sensor over a timer as it means with the extra cooling I could run the high mode much longer as the heat would not build up so fast and trigger the step down and i could use it as a viable alerntive to expensive bike light.

Really sorry for the long winded question but I really appreciate your help thanks!

Last edited:

Overclocker

Flashlight Enthusiast
simple. get the zebralight h600w mk2. no dumb timers anymore. uses PID thermal control, so it throttles down when you're not moving then throttles up again when you get moving. all done automatically

and the beam angles of the h600 are very much suited for riding

and it won't suddenly cutoff as the PCB trips. will gracefully stepdown to medium as the cell approaches empty, then stepsdown to low as it nears empty.

it's also got a fuel gauge. useful to know how much juice you got left so you could budget your power usage

quite the perfect light for your application, don't you say ;)

Last edited:

AnthonyMcEwen2014

Enlightened
simple. get the zebralight h600w mk2. no dumb timers anymore. uses PID thermal control, so it throttles down when you're not moving then throttles up again when you get moving. all done automatically

and the beam angles of the h600 are very much suited for riding

and it won't suddenly cutoff as the PCB trips. will gracefully stepdown to medium as the cell approaches empty, then stepsdown to low as it nears empty.

it's also got a fuel gauge. useful to know how much juice you got left so you could budget your power usage

quite the perfect light for your application, don't you say ;)

Cheers I'll check it out a sounds good, so fenix do use timers, well that's sucks!

It won't be just for cycling but that will be a primary use, hopefully it can also use it in the EDC role.

Dose look good but its another £30 give or take a bit!!! And looks really complicated to use but will consider it, tailstand looks nice.

Last edited: