Why I bought the Eagletac G25C2 light

JohnGribbin

Newly Enlightened
Well I wanted something smaller and bright (of course) and was looking for one light to be all things. But the problem was that every light I reviewed had a step down in power after only 3-5 minutes.(Nitecore, Fenix, Zebra) For instance the PD 35 stepped down to under 500 lumens and then to just 200 lumens after 20 minutes. The Eagletac was the only light I found that did not step down. Now after buying it the most recent manual indicated that the 24% step down (reasonable) could be disabled and a 9% step down instead would happen. (very reasonable). In practice with the 24% step down enabled still I used the light for over the 200 seconds till supposed step down but I didn't notice any change in light output? Perhaps the 200 seconds is adjusted for heat as well? I also didn't notice any heat other than a slight warming after about 5 minutes of constant use. Btw I still like the PD35 and might even buy one as it is almost as bright, more floodie and smaller...better as a EDC probably. Speaking of floodie the g25c2 as a lot of spill. For more of a thrower light compared to the PD35 for example I'm very happy with the spill amount. I do think it is a good combination of throw and spill. (based on youtube comparisons and review pictures here and other places) The G25C2 I bought was the MkII with the XML2 U2 cool white putting out 1180 led lumens. Supposedly 300 yards of throw. I stepped off 150 yds and it will throw that distance but really...you are so far away what is there to see at that distance IMHO. Would like to see if it will do 300 yds but I don't have a convenient area to test it...that is really dark. Maybe I'll try a park one night...a big park.

Overclocker

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well I wanted something smaller and bright (of course) and was looking for one light to be all things. But the problem was that every light I reviewed had a step down in power after only 3-5 minutes.(Nitecore, Fenix, Zebra) For instance the PD 35 stepped down to under 500 lumens and then to just 200 lumens after 20 minutes. The Eagletac was the only light I found that did not step down. Now after buying it the most recent manual indicated that the 24% step down (reasonable) could be disabled and a 9% step down instead would happen. (very reasonable). In practice with the 24% step down enabled still I used the light for over the 200 seconds till supposed step down but I didn't notice any change in light output? Perhaps the 200 seconds is adjusted for heat as well? I also didn't notice any heat other than a slight warming after about 5 minutes of constant use. Btw I still like the PD35 and might even buy one as it is almost as bright, more floodie and smaller...better as a EDC probably. Speaking of floodie the g25c2 as a lot of spill. For more of a thrower light compared to the PD35 for example I'm very happy with the spill amount. I do think it is a good combination of throw and spill. (based on youtube comparisons and review pictures here and other places) The G25C2 I bought was the MkII with the XML2 U2 cool white putting out 1180 led lumens. Supposedly 300 yards of throw. I stepped off 150 yds and it will throw that distance but really...you are so far away what is there to see at that distance IMHO. Would like to see if it will do 300 yds but I don't have a convenient area to test it...that is really dark. Maybe I'll try a park one night...a big park.

great choice! it's one of the most heavily driven single-18650 lights right now. and the configurable stepdown is great to have. you might also wanna get the very nice swing out diffuser

speaking of stepdowns, the latest SC600 MK2 L2 is now thermally controlled, not timer based anymore

chanrobi

Newly Enlightened
great choice! it's one of the most heavily driven single-18650 lights right now. and the configurable stepdown is great to have. you might also wanna get the very nice swing out diffuser

speaking of stepdowns, the latest SC600 MK2 L2 is now thermally controlled, not timer based anymore

It is for this exact reason that i was looking to get the g25. Funny enough i had the same beef with the step down on a timer as the op had with the pd35 (and others) and was in the exact same situation.

My solution - i waited and the sc600w mk ii with pid @ 900 lumens came out. Small, neutral white and floody with good max output and no step down.

Speaking of which im going to order that now...

Mr. Tone

Flashlight Enthusiast
The reality is that the step-down is just not very perceivable. I have several Eagletac lights including two G25C2 MKII in neutral white. If you are watching it when it happens you can barely see it step-down but if you aren't watching at that exact moment you likely will not notice. They are great lights and do have a good flood/throw combination and loads of output. It is also a nice looking light with smooth curves and a great clip.

tubed

Enlightened
i was seriously considering this light (the Eagletac g2c2) but have recently heard about problems with the UI - i.e not being able to get certain modes or mode skipping.
Is this a problem for you?

funkychateau

Enlightened
It is for this exact reason that i was looking to get the g25. Funny enough i had the same beef with the step down on a timer as the op had with the pd35 (and others) and was in the exact same situation.

My solution - i waited and the sc600w mk ii with pid @ 900 lumens came out. Small, neutral white and floody with good max output and no step down.

Speaking of which im going to order that now...

It will be interesting to see the runtime graph for the new SC600 on high. I expect that instead of a step down at 5 minutes, we will see a "sag" in output that may even begin a little sooner. Sort of like an unregulated light. But it may be visually less perceptible than a "step". I think I prefer the current model with its 5 minutes of full output, since I will seldom use it on turbo for that long anyway.

I bought the SC600 II version from E2 last week, since they had them on clearance for $63. I like it - was a lot smaller in my hand than I expected. Tested the step-down circuit and it triggered at about 5:02. Level change to 500 lumens was noticeable, but not severe. I like this light a lot. I'd have to pay 50% more for the newer one, and not sure I'd like it any more.

Mr. Tone

Flashlight Enthusiast
i was seriously considering this light (the Eagletac g2c2) but have recently heard about problems with the UI - i.e not being able to get certain modes or mode skipping.
Is this a problem for you?

I have not had any problems with either of mine and I have two. I also have an Eagletac TX25C2 and SX25L2 which have basically the same head-twist UI. I have not had any problems with those either and I am using them on patrol.

JohnGribbin

Newly Enlightened
No problems with the UI for me either. But have only had the light a week or two.