Surefire Finishes ?

DavidTHR

Enlightened
What are the pros and cons the the Surefire gun metal (GM) finish vs. its type III hard anodized (HA) finish?

Is it worth paying extra to get the HA finish?

Thanks.

IlluminatingBikr

Flashlight Enthusiast
IMO, it is well worth the extra money for the HAIII. The HAIII finish is much more sturdier and durable than the GM. It is less likely to scratch.

So go with the HA III!

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
the ha3 is well worth the additional cost.

it's beyond me why sf still continues to use type 2, and why other good manufacturers do also. surefire does some lights in ha3, why not all? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes it's worth the extra. I always get HAIII if it is available. I figure if I'm gonna spend big bucks on a light, I might a well keep it looking that way.

Just a word of caution though. Just becasue the finish is scratch resistant, doesn't mean the underlying aluminum can't be damaged. You can still take a chunk out of flashlight by dropping it.

GregR

K-T

*Moderator*
While I share what has been said about HAIII, I think the GM finish is still very nice. It makes a light more civil, smooth and elegant, in addition to that the GM-lights don't tend to scratch up your pocket content as fast as the HA-finished lights do! Scratches on the GM-finish don't show up that fast since they blend in with the GM-color and the natural AL color from the flashlight itself. If I would give away a light to a lady, I would choose GM for example - nevertheless it's also a light for the guys. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Basically it runs down to taste. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

Klaus.

Klaus

Flashlight Enthusiast
LOL @ K-T

reminds me of that guy wearing a Glock and telling the other one with a SS auto to "put that sissy pistol away" or something like that /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Klaus