Best use for my Garmin Etrex Vista

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Kev1-1's posting on the Street Pilot 2610 got me thinking. In the post he states whether to buy now or wait until technology improves. A year ago last fall I bought my Garmin Extrex Vista pretty much as a toy to play with. It was kind of expensive at $300 and I knew that the technology would improve but I still willingly bought it. I figured I'd use it with hiking (I have a couple of times), maybe geo-caching (haven't yet) and just to fool around with. But the number one reason much to my surprise that I use it for is a bicycle computer. I bought a handlebar mount and transfer it between my street bike and my mountain bike, accordingly. It does a lot of the usual bike computer features such as distance, current speed, average moving speed, etc. but last September, the mapping function really saved my butt. In a very nice afternoon, I was travelling down unknown roads in a mood for new adventures when I realized I wasn't sure where I was. It was about four p.m. and I was 15 or more miles away from home and darkness was less then three hours away. But I trusted the GPS and traversed down a couple of unknown roads for five or six miles that brought me back to familiar territory and a hour and a half later I was back home. Now I'm sure the GPS technology will improve but I feel pretty certain this will keep ahead of the bike computer technology for quite some time to come.