I almost fell out of my chair...

Billmanweh

Newly Enlightened
I was listening to a radio call in show tonight and an older retired gentleman called in to discuss car drivers not yielding to the drivers of RVs and how he takes the situation into his own hands. I'm paraphrasing...

"what I did is just below the windshield of my Itasca Horizen, which would be just above the eye level for the driver of an automobile, I mounted a rack of what are called xenon lights, x-e-n-o-n. now these lamps are rated 3200 lumens and do a better job than older halogen lights. but when I switch these lights on, the light is so powerful that if the driver has his rearview mirror tilted the wrong way they will burn the cornea of the eye."

basically, if you don't yield to him, this is what you're going to be playing with.

It was everything I could do not to pull a spit take with my pepsi and fall out of my chair laughing...

Tech a Billy

Newly Enlightened
Elderly?, retired? and driving a motor home?...
"What's the freakin hurry, Pop?"
Can you say, X-e-n-o-n- back up lights? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

evan9162

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fantastic. So this bozo (there are other, more impolite things I'd rather call him) decides it's better to blind another driver, causing a potential safety hazard to the driver and everyone else on the road just to satisfy some stupid ego trip he has about people not getting out of his way?

And people wonder why there are so many traffic accidents /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

What an idiot. It's too bad he has a driver's license with a mentality like that.

_mike_

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just what the world needs, more people who think they actually own the road and are willing to "fight" for it. One reason road-rage has become so popular. That old guy is an a@@ and should not be driving.

Mike

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is there a law in Texas where cars have to yield to RV's?

or is this one of those the biggest vehicle has the right of way deals?

GregR

Big_Ed

Flashlight Enthusiast
Heck, if that happened to me, I would slow down and let him pass. Having lights in my mirror at night is one of my pet peeves, anyway. There's the passing lane, buddy. Take it. It's all yours!

mporter

Newly Enlightened
If he causes an accident by doing this he will be at risk for both criminal and civil penalties. And I bet his insurance won't cover this kind of willful misconduct.

jhereg

Enlightened
I go out of my way to let people around. If he did this to me I would be on my cell phone to 911. I normally won't call the police on someone, but dangerous drivers who try to get people hurt need to be removed from the road.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
I would never even consider driving quite like that...

However, I put a set of instant on Air Horns in the grill of my 8000# BEAST F-350. I did this because, while I almost never honk my horn at anyone... when I do, I want to scare them to death! It's usually when someone pulls out of a side street in front of me or such.

I'm NEVER in so much of a hurry to honk at someone just going slow. Nor would I what to blind them!

This dude sounds like a Yankee!

flownosaj

Flashlight Enthusiast
Joe--No, there's a difference between a Yankee and someone who is just an old fart who's too friggin blind to drive and actually needs those "x-e-n-o-n" lights to see if there are other cars in front of him.

It always amazes me that the same people who can't remember where they are most of the time, can't even control their basic bodily functions and are on more drugs than the graduating class of '04 can be liscenced to drive a vehicle much bigger, heavier and slower to react than most any other personal vehicles out on the road....

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
I like air horns myself...as they're passing - give em' a hoot!

We have a law up here, if there's 5 cars or more behind you, you are "supposed" to yield to them. However if you are doing the speed limit and everyone else wants to go 10-15 miles over...it's frustrating pulling over all the time. I typically do the speed limit (and many times have seen the resulting accidents of those idiots who are passing like crazy - I'm not in a hurry to get to my grave!).

G

GarminGPS

Sorry to tell you that that Talk Show you were listening to is Phil Hendrie. ([url]www.philhendrieshow.com) [/url] He is a ventrilaquist and has many many characters that he plays. Basically, he talkes to himself (Host to characters) and makes up all kinds of things to get people upset. Real people then call in thinking they are talking to the Host (Phil) and a "Caller" (Phil again). If you listen long enough he has to explain this by law because he impersonates alot of people, including his own boss!

I heard the show you are talking about and the caller is Phil Hendrie talking to himself. If you go to his website you can check out clips and his characters.

brightnorm

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
GarminGPS said:
...I heard the show you are talking about and the caller is Phil Hendrie talking to himself. If you go to his website you can check out clips and his characters.

[/ QUOTE ]

I went there and clicked on the free clip of the month. (you have to subscribe and pay for the other stuff). He may be a brilliant mimic or ventriloquist but I guarantee that he can't have two of his characters talking at the same time! There are at least two people in this month's freebie.

Brightnorm

Tomas

Banned
Speaking of air horns. Remember those air horns they have in fire trucks? You know the ones: Screaming diesel engine, wailing siren, traffic noise and above it all:

<font color="red">Blaat!! BLAAAAATT!!!</font>

Peel the paint right off someone's trunk lid.

Had a pair like that once and had a heck of a time mounting them, compressor, and tank big enough in my wife's Honda Z600 Sport Coupe.* She loved those things.

T_sig6.gif

* Z600 two cylinder, air cooled, 4-stroke, 10,000RPM, 600cc engine, 10 inch wheels, two seat, hatchback coupe. Hers was olive green and looked like a pitted olive screaming down the freeway. Handled like a closed go-cart and would actually fit in the back of a friend's Ford pick-up.

Had a tow bar on the front of hers 'cause we'd often both head somewhere after work (in different towns), and then when time to go home I'd just hook the Z600 to the hitch on the back of the Land Cruiser and she'd ride with me as I towed her olive home behind us. Honda Z600 ad from early '70's.

T

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
Funny world Tomas!

I didn't have the horns, but I DID have a Honda 600 coupe back when. I don't remember 10,000 RPM but it was a HANDLING little devil!

I wasn't very big when in High School, and the Jocks thought it was funny to turn my little Honda sideways in a parking space. Ha Ha. My scrawny butt could lift the back and walk it out!

I want to say mine was a '69 but my memory ain't all that! '72 sounds possible as well...

<edit> OH, the Air Horns on my truck aren't anywhere NEAR loud enough to have my desired effect. I think I'm going to have to get a compressor and tank to get there. SIGH. All it takes is money... <edit>

Tomas

Banned
Interesting enough that ad is from 1972, and I know the Z600 came out just over a year after I got back from Viet Nam (1970) so I'd lean toward your '72 guess. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

(I think the tire on my wheelbarrow was bigger than the Michelins on her Z600.)

T_sig6.gif