NYC Transit Worker saves lives with edc flashlight

joelbnyc

Enlightened
Cool story, 10/16/13. I thought there was a thread about flashlights saving the day, but couldn't find one with recent posts. Feel free to integrate this with another thread if that's best...

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york...-samaritan-saves-men-tracks-article-1.1487815

'"I could hear the train coming," said transit worker Danny Hay, who arrived on the platform just after the man in his 20s collapsed. "I could feel the wind being pushed by the train, and I could see the light from the train on the rails coming closer."

Hay sprinted about 300 feet to the end of the platform. Using his flashlight, he signaled the operator of the approaching train to hit the brakes.

"She saw the light and was able to stop the train at the mouth of the tunnel, just before it entered the station," Hay said — preventing the three from being hit.'

dudemar

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great story. Would be really cool if he joined CPF. :) Maybe he's already a member?:eek:

Last edited:

Supernatural

Newly Enlightened
Cool story. I wouldn't think the train operator would notice a flashlight with all the background light coming from the station. That EDC light must have been SUPER powerful.

joelbnyc

Enlightened
Yeah this was an inspiring one. The guy must have had nerves of steel to actually run toward an incoming train. I imagine working on the tracks they prob know how strong a light is necessary to get a train operator's attention, but yah there was no guarantee the driver would have been looking. I don't think there is always even a driver in the front car, but maybe they have cameras....

And if he's not a CPF member I think he's an honorary member now :)

Latest posts