Low Profile Forward Clicky

Mattaus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi all,

I'm on the hunt for the lowest possible profile in a forward clicky switch. I'm thinking those cheap PCB mounted ones you can get from DX and KD are my best option, though something of a little higher quality would be nice.

- Matt

Last edited:

calipsoii

Flashlight Enthusiast
Your post could use a little more info:

- do you want a latching switch that stays down when clicked?
- does it need momentary functionality?
- will it need to handle the entire current load from the battery stack or is it just going to toggle a MOSFET (or other high amperage circuit)?
- if it's toggling a FET circuit does that circuit need to latch so that the light stays on?

I found this document quite useful for understanding the terminology that the switch industry uses when marketing their products:
https://www.nkkswitches.com/pdf/switch basics_web08.pdf

My biggest problems when searching for switches a couple months ago were:
- switches that can handle DC 1A+ are big: most hovered around 14-20mm tall and 12mm cross-section
- momentary push-button switches that can handle < 50ma are tiny but you need to build an e-switch circuit (like Steve Ku made) to handle high current flow and perform software latching
- none of the datasheets will tell you if a latching switch is also momentary, and the customer service reps I spoke to often didn't understand what I was asking

Judco, ALPS, NKK, e-switch and Apem are a few manufacturers I noted as having small-ish switches that can handle higher current.

After all my research and buying a large selection of samples from those companies, McGizmo's switch really does offer the best compromise of performance/quality/function vs. size. The McClicky isn't small but if your design can handle it, they are probably the best bet.

Mattaus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the reply. Yeah I didn't specify much did I Lol? I am using this as a traditional switch. Nothing fancy and no greater than 2.5A. I might just buy a sample from mouser and a few replacements off KD and see if anything suits. A McClicky is far too large unfortunately.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

calipsoii

Flashlight Enthusiast
You may have luck with one of these two. They were my favorites from all the ones I've received:

DigiKey part number: P8102S-ND (latching clicky with momentary)
Mouser part number:688-SPEF120100 (latching clicky with no momentary action at all)

Both are smaller than a McClicky and require a PCB mount.

kosPap

Flashlight Enthusiast
the KD forward clickies are good to 3.5A or more
Some of their height can be hidden in the rubber bootie, but still the switch will be as high as the regular reverse click switches