LSHF-P Good for EMS or Field Medical Use?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave Wright

Enlightened
Seems that the LSHF-P would be a great EMS or medical field use light. I haven't taken the time to compare the beam color with one of our surgical lights, but I bet it's closer than any other flashlight source. Quite neutral white with surprisingly good color rendering for a non-incandescent source. The beam brightness and color are extremely even from edge to edge of the hotspot. I'm not a doctor or EMS tech, but this is the light I would carry for those unpredictable field situations - where sometimes you don't have proper ambient light and you need flat/accurate/bright illumination for emergency diagnosis and treatment.

Any doctors in the house?

Bushman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am not a doctor either but there are some that are here and there are some that are in med school. I am a nurse practitioner and I use my firefly every day to look at skin lesions and throats. Works very well and I love the color rendition that the luxeon gives.

B@rt

Flashaholic
A little OT, but along the same lines;
How would the Inova X-1 perform regarding color rendition, since it has a very even beam.? I seems to me it would be a very nice little light for a doctor. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

Bushman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bart, I think that the inova would work fine also... I use the firefly for eyes also... I just tell them to look strait ahead and I approach them from the side with the light. People don't even like to look directly in the light of a cheap penlight. I have never had anyone complain...

Blikbok

Enlightened
I've talked to a few EMS people regarding flashlights and the ones I spoke to were not keen on buying something with their own money that might get...contaminated. Others may feel differently.

Also, many of them were cross-trained or in the process, so almost all their lights were certified to not be dangerous in flammable situtations.

PluckyPleco

Newly Enlightened
Don't use one for pupil responsiveness. ;-)

Our First Reponder instructor strongly recommended against all LED flashlights for that use...

Plec

PluckyPleco

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Blikbok said:
I've talked to a few EMS people regarding flashlights and the ones I spoke to were not keen on buying something with their own money that might get...contaminated.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup, cheap, cheap, cheap.
Cheap pens, cheap watches, etc.

Anything that gets bodily fluids (blood, spit, vomit, etc) on it either needs to be disposed of as biohazardous waste or disinfected.

Plec

x-ray

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would suggest using a headlamp. Keeps hands free for attending to patient and will be kept pretty clear of any contamination.

If the LSHF-P's beam is ideal, then maybe it can be used with one of those NiteIze headstraps designed for Mini~Mags.

headband.jpg

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
PluckyPleco said:
Don't use one for pupil responsiveness. ;-)

Our First Reponder instructor strongly recommended against all LED flashlights for that use...

Plec

[/ QUOTE ]

Why is that?

Peter

DumboRAT

Enlightened
Peter and All,

On the last one, re: LED lights for pupil response -- although I do not yet have enough experience to truly back up my statement here, I'll go out on a limb in saying that with what little experience I have had, and with the concurring opinion of many of my friends who are either also in medical school or are doctors (my wife's a pediatrician, many of our friends are thus also on this same track or in the same field), even the "standard" 5mm Nichia's offer just way too much spill (and way too much light) for a good pupillary response. This is so much so that even the ARC AAA shows some problems with this type of use.

Typically, you're asking the patient to look off into the distance while presenting the light source obilquely, preventing a near reaction (which is used when the "normal" test fails or is questionable, and is also helpful in diagnosing Argyll Robetson and Adie's pupils), and are looking for both a direct reaction (pupillary constriction in the same eye) and a consentual reaction (constriction in the other eye).

The el-cheapo penlight, which are often even outright "given away" by various drug-companies as marketing tools, presents a very focused light with nearly no spill that is(ironically by flashaholic standards) also not so bright as to interfere with proper pupillary reaction assessment.

Anyone with more medical knowledge in the house wanna correct me, please feel free -- I'm just a student, and always eager to learn, and that includes any techniques you can give me to go around this problem.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

-------------

As for the LSHF-P or LSH-P, unfortunately, I have no "field" qualifications being a medical student -- but that said, yes, it's definitely got superior color and detail rendition, and is much better than the el-cheapo penlights in examining the throat of a patient or examining a laceration. Heck, sitting in the ER the other day, I amazed myself in how much detail I could see down "in" my own thumb when I'd stupidly cut it open un-sheathing my new double-edged Karambit (I'm a collector, not Rambo, LOL!). It was much superior over general overhead incandescent lighting, and definitely better than waiting for someone to wheel the portable exam light around......

That said, though, yes, you can literally pop the ARC LSs in your mouth like a cigar and go about your business, but in an emergency situation when you will not have time to consider consciously if your hands are clean or if you need to de-glove to handle your light or if you can risk breaking sterility of the field or contaminating your own expensive lighting tool, well, it's not the most practical instrument to have around, either.

If you're in the office or on the wards, yeah, it's great -- pop into a room and go "hey little guy, open up and say a great big AH for me !" and see his entire oral cavity without needing to rotate the light all around and wonder if maybe you've missed something....but out where blood and gore is flying all-around, you'll have to be the judge as to whether it will be more of a liability or not.

If I were a First-Responder? I'd probably opt for a headband like x-ray mentioned above, a AA extender pack for my LSHF-P, and jury-rig a clip onto its side to make sure that it stays in place. Rubber-band a clear plastic sandwich baggie over the unit (disposable splatter shield), and just click it on like a headlamp right before arriving on-scene......

But hey, that's purely a made-up scenario. Like I said, I haven't had any such experience !

Maybe I should loan my LSHF-P to my friend who is a field medic for the US military (and an RN) ?

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Allen
aka DumboRAT

PS: Question for Peter -- The LSs are waterproof down to 50ft. if I remember correctly..... Assuming that the units are using non-clickie setups, can we submerge them in a low-concentration bleach-water bath for decontamination without damage?

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the explanation!

As far as resistance to bleach water, the flashlight should be fine. Over time, the HA may turn a lighter color, but operation should not be affected.

Peter

flownosaj

Flashlight Enthusiast
HA holds up well against Wexcide as well--unfortunately my favorite fancy pen is 50/50 bald. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

-Jason

Dave Wright

Enlightened
Figure a flash sterilizer wouldn't be a good idea. ETO sterilization would work but regs are squeezing them out. I'm thinking Cidex.

The beam sure is like a surgical light. Just came out of the shower after another night run with the LSF. Great light.

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Throw the LS in a plasma sterilizer /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif
You could put the LS in a Steris scope sterilizer, not sure how the acid would react with the switch though. It should be OK but you can buy a Kroll for $5 and see how well it works.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts