SL 4AA LED Heat still a problem ?

absoLite

Newly Enlightened
I intend to buy a SL 4AA LED to be used by our family in the house or during night walks (not for EDC).

There were some threads a while ago about heat problems of the 4AA LED that makes me hesitate.

During a night walk the light could be easily needed to be running for an hour or more. It would be bad if the light was damaged by the heat or my wife or my daughter burned her hands when the bezel was getting too hot.

I would be interested in knowing if the recent models being shipped do still have that heat problem ?
Do the recent models have those 22 Ohm resistors ?

Also some reports of long-time use would be very interesting.

What light would you recommend instead of the 4AA LED for my intended use ?

Zeppert

Enlightened
I haven't heard that news about the SL getting hot and/or burning people, wow! I have had many SL 4AA's for a long time and never encountered that problem. I have two boys and they both play/use the flashlight and I feel totally comfortable with it.
I'll have to look up those threads you mentioned and see what the good folks are talking about.

Bushman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have hurt of them melting down with lithiums. Brightnorm tried that once. Other than that I have not heard of any problems.

haertig

Newly Enlightened
I have one of the first generation models. I haven't noted heat problems, but then I don't leave it on for more than a few minutes at a time. I really like the light. It's one of my favorites, if not my very favorite.

HOWEVER, one of the LED's just burned out last week. No evidence of heat problems (discoloration, warped reflector, etc.) Just dead. I called Streamlight and they said to send it in, assumedly for replacement. I asked if I could send just the LED assembly, but they said no - they want the entire light. So I hope I'll be getting a new light, I'll just be out the return shipping charge now.

SockMan

Newly Enlightened
I have had heat problems with mine. The reflector clearly shows signs of heat damage (melting reflective material) and 3 of the LEDs now blink before going out.

I'm not sure if it was because I was using NiMH cells, but mine was fairly easy to be damaged from heat. I looked at the resistors in the LED assembly, and I think they are 22 ohm resistors (unless I read the colors incorrectly). I should note that I got this light several months ago. Hopefully, mine was just a bad apple and the majority of the 4AAs don't have the problems mine had.

I think you will be okay as long as you don't use the 4AA more that a few minutes at a time.

pilot4x4

Enlightened
A few months ago I bought one of the current configuration lights. The first time I used it was for about a 40 minute walk the same day I bought it. I came home with a distorted reflector, and a hot smell which turned out to be the adhesive (epoxy ?) that they use to bond the reflector unit to the battery contact piece. The adhesive had gotten hot enough that it had reached it's melting point. The pieces didn't seperate but they felt tacky for about 10 minutes while the light cooled. It sure is a nice light for walking, too bad they can't fix the problems. John

Raven

Enlightened
I just ordered a streamlight propoly 7 led this morning.

I plan to only use 3 batteries plus a dummy, and hopefully that will protect me against any problems.

Raven

SockMan

Newly Enlightened
The 4AA is a good light with a major problem: people shouldn't HAVE to use a dummy if they want continuous use without worrying about heat damage. Every other issue about the 4AA is minor compared to the heat issue (battery rattle, dented battery contacts).

Raven

Enlightened
Yeah, but it uses aa batteries, which is important to some folks. At least for me anyway. I prefer all my lights (and other assorted gear) run off aa batteries.

BTW what exactly are dummy batteries called anyway? I don't want the Radio Shack guy to look at me weird when I ask for one.

Raven

SockMan

Newly Enlightened
I have only see them called "dummy cells" or "dummy batteries" here on CPF. I suppose you can whip out the thesaurus. "Pseudo cell" anyone? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

fivebyfive

Enlightened
I bought my light about 6 months ago and I haven't had any heat problems. It does have the 22ohm resistors. Yes, I have had it on for long periods of time. Once while camping I used it as a picnic table latern because I forgot my propane latern. It was on for at least an 1.5 hours with no heat problems. It was cool to the touch. If you're going to be running a light for continuously an hour, then a LED light is the way to go, this you already know. I like my light. Nice feel in the hand, bright, waterproof, and light.

StevieRay

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
fivebyfive said:
I bought my light about 6 months ago and I haven't had any heat problems. It does have the 22ohm resistors. Yes, I have had it on for long periods of time. Once while camping I used it as a picnic table latern because I forgot my propane latern. It was on for at least an 1.5 hours with no heat problems. It was cool to the touch. If you're going to be running a light for continuously an hour, then a LED light is the way to go, this you already know. I like my light. Nice feel in the hand, bright, waterproof, and light.

[/ QUOTE ]

Did you check it during that time to see if it got hot, Mine will get hot after about 10 minutes running and then will cool down after the batteries are somewhat exhausted and light output goes down.
I sent the first one I got back for repair after a couple of the led's started flickering, probably due to excessive heat build up. thenew one that I got as a replacement seems to run a little cooler but not much.
I am using NiMh batteries.

fivebyfive

Enlightened
Yea, I did check the light every so often during the 1.5 hour usage because I had to keep it from falling off of where I had placed it. For sure, the light wasn't hot.
I would have noticed that. The LEDs in mine didn't flicker at all. I'm using alkalines.

MrMom

Enlightened
I have two. One is run on NiMh's, the other on alks. There have been no heat related problems. It favors well even with the top dollar lights.

Rotten Ron

Newly Enlightened
Had mine for about a year now. The reflector is bubbled from heat, ive never noticed it getting to hot though. It does flicker now and then, and the tail switch cover is split. Is all I run in it is alk batts. SL said to send it in, havnt had a chance yet. I still use it all the time.