Orbita Slimline and Goldlight review

AardvarkSagus

Flashlight Enthusiast
What truly constitutes luxury flashlights? Is it simply exotic materials and lofty pricing, or is there something more?

Orbita Slimline and Goldlight

trans.gif
Meat and Potatoes

As I mentioned previously, Orbita is a company that got its start catering to the elite with their luxury automatic watchwinders. People looking for a display-worthy method to keep gravity-wound mechanical watches properly exercised look to companies like this. The step from there into high end flashlights wasn't a terrible leap.

At first blush, the Orbita Slimline and Goldlight series don't have much in common at all. They certainly look as different from each other as they do from their cousin, the Lighthouse series. Though it hasn't been officially confirmed to me, I am personally convinced they share a common core that ties them together as two versions of the same torch. As a matter of fact you can see fairly clearly that the Goldlight is just a more refined shell that has been installed around an already functional Slimline. This is why I have combined their reviews.

Common Core

Both of these lights sport Cree XM-L LEDs powered by a single 18650 Li-ion cell and claim a maximum output of 500 lumens. The reflectors are small enough that when paired with the large die XM-L they produce a moderately floody beam, despite the smooth polish they have been given. The tints on my two samples were fairly drastically different, so I suspect there is quite a tint lottery in place.

Construction of these lights is what sets them apart. The slimline is the Orbita base model, if you will. Pure stainless steel with subtle rings machined into a straight cylindrical torch as the only distinguishing feature. It's simple, unadorned look is not displeasing. It has a less-is-more quality to it for those that prefer the understated. It is available in uncoated stainless, or a durable Ti-Nitride finish in either black or gold.

The Orbita Goldlight on the other hand, is about as flashy in appearance as any light I have seen. This is the peacock of torches. It's every facet (or radius) screams "Look at me!" Between the 24k gold plated endcaps from which it derives its name, you are given the choice between several beautiful materials from the manmade exquisites of carbon fiber or faux ivory to the natural beauty of exotic woods with which to wrap over the SS core. I was allowed my pick of options to review and I couldn't say no to the magnificent Thuya burl. I will say that all of the other wooden options put up quite a fight, but in the end it was the swirled grain that made the final decision for me. Armed with excellent quality accoutrements, the Orbita's make quite an initial impression indeed.

Constructive Criticism

The apparent quality of construction aside, once again Orbita runs up against the same complaints that I mentioned about the lighthouse series. These torches appear to have electronics that have been supplied by the absolute cheapest bidder. Between having ridiculously low frequency PWM based output control, and a horrendously poor 5-mode with memory UI that requires you to cycle through the strobe and SOS every time through the modes, these lights don't feel luxury at all. They feel like the latest and greatest "SooperDooperFire" El-Cheapo imports that sully the premise of what a true quality flashlight should be. I'm afraid I can't sugar coat this one at all. The electronics in these torches are a detriment to what otherwise feel like they could be a decent light. Unfortunately this isn't something that even needs more discussion. The electronics are effectively the worst I have experienced on any of my multitudinous lights. For a throwaway illumination tool, it would accomplish its task and be classified as "usable". For a torch trying to compete in the truly high-end luxury arena, it is just bad.

The construction on both the Slimline and Goldlight are probably 90% excellent. They feel solid and durable. The Goldlight especially looks the part it was designed for. They both have one tiny hiccup that jars the experience just a touch. The slimline's physical fault fairly minor. The machinework around the ridging feels a touch rough to my practiced hands. This isn't any kind of pocket shredder by any stretch, but for this price point I am personally looking for near perfection. The Goldlight has a slightly stronger fault though. The metal-buttoned switch feels spongy to the push, and gritty during its long travel. This is probably caused by the fact that I suspect a fully functional rubber booted button to be hiding underneath the gold plated metal one.

Conclusions

I really wish this review had turned out differently. These both are lights I WANT to like; I just can't. I wouldn't be fond of these electronics in a cheap light, but in a torch billed as "Luxury" they are unacceptable. I seriously hope that Orbita will quickly come out with a v2.0 release for all of their models that addresses these shortcomings and brings the electronics more in line with the construction and the claims they are making.

Provided for review by the kind folks at Orbita.

Imon

Enlightened
Thanks for the review.

I remember there was a stink over the Lighthouse series awhile back. Too bad Orbita couldn't use a better developed driver for the flashlight.
The Goldline looks a little gaudy to me but I'm sure some people like the look.

jonwkng

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the objective and frank review. I suppose when you look at "luxury flashlights", it is not just the application of luxury materials that counts. I suppose Orbita still has to realise that the "flashlight" aspect is equally important and maybe spend more on refining the UI and electronics. Either that or just make "luxury" P60 hosts :D

I wholeheartedly agree that if you want to market your products as a luxury item, it needs to be pretty near perfect.

moshow9

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is in no way meant as a knock against AardvarkSagus, as I enjoy reading his reviews and respect his opinions. Ethical issues aside from the lighthouse series, which I found to be in very bad taste, the proof is in the pudding as they say. In my limited time here, none of the amazing builders that I have come across have labeled their lights as luxury. That has come from the users who purchase them -the work "speaks" for itself. What Orbita has chosen is form over function.

It is for that reason, in combination with the what they did with the lighthouse series, that I will never own an Orbita light and support such a company.

RedForest UK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the honest review.

Again, with a little digging it's possible to find a pre-existing 'clone' at a much cheaper price. In this case it's the $17 Fandyfire XG-V5 for the 'slimline'.

shelm

Flashlight Enthusiast
looking forward to your honest review of Lupine BTL2

they really sent you a FREE review sample of it for you to review and keep? that's a 800$ light omfg.

AardvarkSagus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the honest review.

Again, with a little digging it's possible to find a pre-existing 'clone' at a much cheaper price. In this case it's the $17 Fandyfire XG-V5 for the 'slimline'.
Wow. That's impressive that they didn't even bother changing anything other than the LED on that one. At least the Lighthouse had a little difference with the white LEDs and its own modes rather than the colored ones of the cheap model.
looking forward to your honest review of Lupine BTL2

they really sent you a FREE review sample of it for you to review and keep? that's a 800$ light omfg.
Yep. I can't wait to talk about that one. It is magnificent.

Last edited:

Latest posts