My Arc AAA is brighter than my CMG Reactor??

BlindedByTheLite

Flashlight Enthusiast
the Reactor is running on Alkalines.. would switching to lithiums make a drastic change in output?

this just struck me as strange. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif i like the light tho! it's gonna be my indoor navigation light.

paulr

Flashaholic
Yes, the 2 cell reactor really needs lithiums and is no good on alkalines.

Xrunner

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes... I have both the 2 and 3 AA Reactors and don't really care for either of them because of the brightness and feel. But to answer your question, lithiums will really brighten up the 2AA (I just choose not to use them because I have other lights that take more "standard" batteries and are the same brightness.

-Mike

BlindedByTheLite

Flashlight Enthusiast
aright, thanks guys.

i just needed yall reassurance.

i must say that i'm happy i got one with a white hotspot from Kevin! i've seen way too many green beams in these. sheesh.

gotta go get m'lithiums. thanks.:D

SidewindR

Newly Enlightened
Hi
i have all the AAA and the
2 CMGs i must say i had bad luck on the CMGs so i returned them both they were great to replace but after a while
the things just are very unstable but i thought bright with the 3 aa one not being able to use LITHIUM cells
it still shines great and the AA Lithium cells on the smaller CMG Reactor is great too!
except for the stupid loose adjusting on off crappy control swither thingy is there a more brighter or Brighter i should type light in 1 WATT??

BlindedByTheLite

Flashlight Enthusiast
huh? you lost me there @ the end? *lol*
the only 1 Watt i have to compare to the Reactor is my Streamlight 3AA Tasklight Luxeon, and it simply blows the Reactor away.
all the stores around me were OUT of lithium AA's. i'm PO'd.

RonM

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Reactor 2AA should say on the package "Lithium Only." Without lithiums, it's a dog. With Lithiums, it's a pretty nice light. Check out Roy's runtime plots. That baby will do 25hrs before dropping to half brightness. Makes it downright cheap to run on those normally expensive batts.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
I'll add my 2¢ here too, and say that the Reactor (the 2 AA version) does indeed work significantly better on lithiums than it does on other AA battery types.
Unless your Reactor has that characteristic "rotten cat urine green" color to its beam, it ought to really be a decent flashlight.

SidewindR

Newly Enlightened
:
hi i like the CMG for the most part
but wondering what is the brightest Luxeon based
light out there in the same watt range

heheehhe

also selling my SPII Zebra *one ofa kind *

BlindedByTheLite

Flashlight Enthusiast
okay guys. i ventured out in the blizzard today and got ahold of some lithiums via K-Mart.

and holy sh*t! what on Earth!?

the flashlight is @ least 10 times brighter, probly a bit more.

thanks for keeping me on track here.

Edit: also the dominant green tint in the corona has been overcome a bit, and the white hotspot is great now.

what exactly is the reason the lithiums work this like so hard? voltage?

Pi_is_blue

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lithiums work much better because they have a slightly higher voltage. It is the same in my Inretech 2AA: the lithiums really increase the brightness over the alkalines.

RonM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lithium AAs are actually 1.7V (not 1.5) and they have low internal resistance so they can support higher amperage. You really can't direct drive an LS with just 2 AAs unless you use lithium.