Why no MT-G2 mag drop ins yet?

Kevin1322

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm really surprised that there is no one (that I can find) offering MT-G2 drops for Maglites yet. I'm thinking a 3 mode drop for a D cell host would sell like hotcakes! Running 3 x 26650s in a 2D host you could have a 3000 lumen light with good runtimes. Anyone know why we aren't seeing these yet?

donn_

Flashaholic
I'd sure buy at least one. I'd love to try it out with a 3" or 3.5" reflector in an FM head, and behind a large aspheric in regular Mag head.

Kevin1322

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can see it turned into a high lumen thrower. Personally, I think just the regular head would give it decent throw and great flood.

donn_

Flashaholic
Let's get Vinh to do it. I've been thinking about having a few solid copper Maglite heat sinks made, and they'd be perfect for this application. TaskLED probably has a good driver.

Kevin1322

Flashlight Enthusiast
Let's get Vinh to do it. I've been thinking about having a few solid copper Maglite heat sinks made, and they'd be perfect for this application. TaskLED probably has a good driver.
Oh my gosh I would love him to do it! But I don't think he works with mags.

darkknightlight

Enlightened
I hate to be a killjoy, but the mtg2 needs a much larger head and reflector than the maglite to be considered a thrower. I've got a DD maglite build with a custom heatsink and rebel reflector. I really like the results, but it is still a flood light. I posted a build thread in the homemade modified section (mtg2 maglite DD mod). I don't know how to link over to it using tapatalk though. I had really been hoping it would be more of a thrower than it is.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Kevin1322

Flashlight Enthusiast
I hate to be a killjoy, but the mtg2 needs a much larger head and reflector than the maglite to be considered a thrower. I've got a DD maglite build with a custom heatsink and rebel reflector. I really like the results, but it is still a flood light. I posted a build thread in the homemade modified section (mtg2 maglite DD mod). I don't know how to link over to it using tapatalk though. I had really been hoping it would be more of a thrower than it is.

I still want one, and I think others would too.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
Don't need it to be a thrower, just need it to be a crowd pleaser; the usual general-purpose 15/90 deg beam would be perfectly fine at 2500+ lumens. Don't need modes either, nobody's reading a book with a D cell Mag..

Kevin1322

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don't need it to be a thrower, just need it to be a crowd pleaser; the usual general-purpose 15/90 deg beam would be perfectly fine at 2500+ lumens. Don't need modes either, nobody's reading a book with a D cell Mag..
I don't have any use for one mode lights, unless it's a search light or dedicated thrower. I think it would be a great multipurpose light if it had modes.

darkknightlight

Enlightened
My bad, i assumed given one of the responses i had read that people were wanting a thrower. If that is not a requirement, i say go for it! I really like the light that is produced. I am still working on getting the beam artifact focused out of the center though.

Kevin1322

Flashlight Enthusiast
Donn wanted to put it in a larger reflector or use it with an aspheric lens. That would be the beauty of it being a drop in; people could then mod the host for what they want. Lot's of after market parts made for the mag.

mvyrmnd

Flashlight Enthusiast
This sounds great. I still have a soft spot for modded Mags. (I just dug my old 4C with Bi-pin socket today to play with some incan glory)

The MT-G2, 3 mode (5% 50% 100%) rebel reflector. It'll throw 150-200m due to brute force, but would be mostly floody.

In a 4C on 3x18650, 3D with 3x26650 (with a cut, or backwards spring) .... yum.

Sounds like a plan!

StarHalo

Flashaholic
I don't have any use for one mode lights, unless it's a search light or dedicated thrower. I think it would be a great multipurpose light if it had modes.

Fair enough, diff'rent strokes. But if I've got 0.1 to 800 lumens in my pocket, I don't need the aluminum log in my hand to do anything too diverse. And less diverse is less money; just put the emitter in a decent reflector on a fat slug that's ready to bolt in and call it a day..

mvyrmnd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fair enough, diff'rent strokes. But if I've got 0.1 to 800 lumens in my pocket, I don't need the aluminum log in my hand to do anything too diverse. And less diverse is less money; just put the emitter in a decent reflector on a fat slug that's ready to bolt in and call it a day..

Actually, you make a good point. One of the best lights I ever owned was a Elektrolumens triple MC-E mag. Barn door simple and bloody bright.

donn_

Flashaholic
Lot's of after market parts made for the mag.

That's the key to my interest in an MT-G2 drop-in. I have a huge collection of Maglites, with myriad aftermarket parts....heads ranging from stock to 4.5" PAR36-size, with everything in between, like various ThrowMasters and such. I have dedicated 52mm aspheric bezels and all sorts of other goodies for the Maglite. They're all just waiting for a hotter light engine. I don't expect to get near the output of my Mag hotwires, but I'm always up for playing with another LED LE.

Don't need modes either, nobody's reading a book with a D cell Mag..

There are other reasons for modes. Probably the most valuable would be running the light at lower levels in order to reduce heat and extend battery capacity.

I'd probably use a longer Mag, and run LiFePO4 cells. They can deliver current much better than other Lithium cells, and can be recharged much faster. With an appropriate driver, they'll provide just what the emitter needs in terms of power.

Latest posts