HDS Systems        

Thread: De-doming and High CRI?

Flashaholic*

Default De-doming and High CRI?

Passing thought; if de-doming causes a warm shift, does it also effect the CRI of an emitter? In particular, if you took a High CRI emitter and de-domed it, would it still retain it's high CRI or would it lose it? Or possibly even gain some more?

Default Re: De-doming and High CRI?

Conservatively, I'd say yes, there would be an effect. In what way and how much I can't say.

I imagine the warmer shift has soemthign to do with more total light bouncing off the inside of the now flat dome, rather than passing through it. This light, I would assume, is the same color as the light that originally emitted from the LED, nothing has changed about the chip or phosphor, just no dome. So, that light goes back to the phosphor, where even more of the blue component would be absorbed and converted to the other spectral components of that LEDs output. So, less blue, more whatever isn't blue.

Conservatively, I would say yes it would affect the tint, and that most likely, it would be a warmer shift just like we see in other examples.

Flashaholic*

Actually the de-doming method I've used (once) completely removes all silicone as far as I can tell, so I don't think there's a flat layer on top of the phoshor to reflect light back.
    Tint shift is pretty-much a given, I'm just wondering if this shift effects CRI.

Anything that affects the spectrum will affect the CRI, so yes. I've always been a bit cloudy on how to quantify CRI, though. I think best we can do is compare how it lights up various colors. Or find some sort of automated CRI-checker machine thingy. Warmer doesn't always mean higher CRI.

Solvent method, eh? MSDS used to state that the phosphor was impregnated in a silicone carrier, I thought. Is why I'm interested that the solvent method works so well! I recently dissolved 3 xp-e LED domes. Interesting the way it works, the solvent actually impregnates the silicone and makes it swell, causing it to shear at the junction where there is no swelling silicone. It was interesting to see the LED, after I lifted it out from submersion and set it down, just watched it for about 5 minutes under a magnifying glass, the dome slowly peeled itself off of the LED. Forgot how small these things are!