Remote Switch - Single Mode Mod

billsy

Newly Enlightened
Hi Guys this is my first post so be gentle:thumbsup: I've been lurking for a while now and I gotta say what an amazing community this is.

Here's the thing. I currently run a magicshine light on my commuter bike and I have another similar, single XM-L eBay light (pictures below) that I want to use as a main-beam type-o-thing. This ebay light has a narrow beam angle so would be great pointing straight down the cycle path, however it will pi55 people off so I need quick access to the off button. What I want to do is connect a remote switch, such as this Judco one. I'm sure I can handle that having searched these fine forums. The problem is I will need to cycle thru the other 2 modes to get to OFF. So I was thinking I might be able to mod this driver to operate as single mode on/off. Does anyone know if this can be done with this board. It is marked up as HX-1182A (think thats an A). If not I will see how I get on and maybe change the driver for a single mode item. If anyone can suggest such a driver I would be grateful. Dia is 22mm.

Many thanks

Chris

20131103_160326-1.jpg

CREEXM-LXMLT6LED1800LmBicyclebike1.jpg

Matt King

Newly Enlightened
Holding down the switch for 2 seconds should make it turn off, if it is like the magicshines.

billsy

Newly Enlightened
Holding down the switch for 2 seconds should make it turn off, if it is like the magicshines.

Thanks Matt. I tried holding the button but nothing happens.

Does anyone know if this driver can be modded for single mode?

The other option I'm considering is having another push button switch in the main power wire, that will kill the power momenteraly, then it will be just 1 press of the other switch for full power. Am I making sense?

billsy

Newly Enlightened
You could just put a toggle pushbutton in the main power line, right? There's a similar Judco switch http://www.digikey.co.uk/product-detail/en/40-3352-02/528PB-ND/611177 here that is apparently a toggle switch.

If I just kill the power with a toggle and then switch the power back on with the toggle, I still then need to activate the light with a second switc (remote clicky). I think I'm going to see how fast I can cycle thru the modes to off, with just a remote clicky. I can always add the power kill switch later.

Thanks