Quark "Burst" mode operation

LightCrazy

Enlightened
I got my QT2L-X Burst light today. Nice light, and the yellowish green present in the beam of my QP2L-X light is gone!! I tried the new burst edition first with a 16650, and then two TI 3v primaries. Both registered about 2.78 volts, which is disappointing, because they are new and less than a year old!
Anyway, I compared the new Burst model to my regular QP2L-X, and there was a noticeable difference in the back yard and woods. With the primaries, after just a short time, ™Burst" mode was gone, and I never used it more than about 10 seconds at a time. After about a 30 second rest, Burst was still gone, and the light was in step-down mode, and much dimmer than the other quark on Turbo".
I went in and tested the primaries, and one read 2.35, and the other was about 2.68volts. I put the 16650 cell back in the ) light, went back outside to test, and Burst mode was back.

SO I guess my main question is, if you use Burst mode less than a minute at a time, like 10--15 at a time, does Burst mode time out? Or were the primaries too low in voltage, especially that one at 2.35 volts.

880arm

Flashlight Enthusiast
If your primaries were starting out at 2.78 volts then they were already nearly dead. They should read around 3.2 - 3.25 volts if they haven't been used before, even if they are a year old.

I don't have any experience with the new FourSevens lights with burst mode but I would suspect it is based on a timer and would reset after the light is turned off. Others will be able to say for sure.

LightCrazy

Enlightened
I have searched but can't find a chart for 3 volt lithium primaries showing for example that 2.9 volts is 75% power, as an example.

Yagon

Newly Enlightened

880arm

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have searched but can't find a chart for 3 volt lithium primaries showing for example that 2.9 volts is 75% power, as an example.

I don't know of one that is based upon the resting voltage of the battery. The thing with lithium primaries is that they hang around 3 volts (while at rest) for a long time and then begin dropping quickly after that. Measuring voltage under a known load, as shown in the link provided by Yagon, might be able to give you some idea of the state of charge.

Are these cells in series ?
Dodgy to run two cells in series with such a difference in Volts .

Are these CR123 cells ?
There is a shootout thread with discharge curves here :
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?67078-123-Battery-Shoot-Out

I think the OP was referring to voltage readings taken after the batteries had been in use. It's not uncommon for two batteries in series to show different voltage readings when first taken out of the light. In the first post it's stated the batteries started out at about 2.78 volts.

LightCrazy

Enlightened
Yes the cells were in series, and I only used them for a few minutes of testing in the quark before "Burst" mode gave out. That is why I retested them and found one cell had dropped in voltage. I thought the cells were unused, but maybe not. Since they are less than a year old and started out under three volts. Otherwise I like the Titanium Innovation cells compared to the generics I have purchased from another brand.

scarfinger68

Newly Enlightened
I am using the AW RCR123a Protected 750 mAh Battery from lighthound and haven't had any problems. I believe the rechargeable supply a steady current until they are depleted. The non rechargeable will provide lower volts as they get wore out. One advantages is you know the batteries need changed vs. the rechargeable just go dark on you without warning.

brightnorm

Flashaholic

This device will show you the actual state of your batteries and is more accurate than a voltage tester for primaries.Voltage testing is fine for LiONs.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_0_9?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=zts%20pulse%20load%20cell%20battery%20analyzer&sprefix=zts+pulse%2Caps%2C223&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Azts%20pulse%20load%20cell%20battery%20analyzer

Brightnorm

Last edited: