DIFFERENT LIGHT/MANUFACTURER. SAME ISSUE AND THEN SOME!!

Capolini

Banned
" Expectations beyond logic result in disappointment!!!!"

I wish I could remember that!!! I wrote it. Sorry, "Bold" will not go away! Lets get started.

This is in regards to the Olight M3X that I got today. I am sending it back tomorrow!

The center beam[hot spot] is not focused and is actually distorted in shape with "Mickey Mouse ears" at 1,5,7 and 11 O'Clock! It also has a "Yellowish tint" that none of my other XM-L OR XM-L2 lights have.

I got a magnifying glass to verify that it was a XM-L2 emitter. When I did that I noticed that the Black mat[for lack of a better word] directly beneath the emitter had "u" shaped cut outs at 1,5,7 and 11 O'Clock!! I thought it was unusual because none of my other torches have it.

So I checked out SB'S review again and looked at the close up pics. of the emitter. I noticed that his sample was just like mine in that regard. :thinking: I also looked at his "wall shots". The beam had definition, clarity and was focused on all of them.Mine on the other hand were not. I was about 7' from the wall. The beam stayed unfocused and distorted[Mickey Mouse ears, top and bottom!] until I was about 2' away! I need to say that I tested my Olight M22[EXACT SAME EMITTER AS THE M3X] TK-75, TK-35, Jetbeam BC-40 and EA4. All of them had mostly focused cool white beams with no Mickey Mouse ears!

I knew I was sending the light back for certain. So I just took it for my normal walk with Capo to see how it performed. It's throw was as advertised and I liked the fact that even though it is a bit long at 9.7" , it was very light.

Ok,here is the "same issue" part!!

Deja Vu!! :eek: After about 10 minutes on "High" I noticed "Condensation" under the lens!! About 1.5 times the diameter of a pencil right in the center of the lens! That alone would have been a deal breaker after the problems I had with my beloved TK-75!! They are resolved!

EDIT: When I was shining the light in front of me, the outside of the beam has about 4 or 5 Purple rings of Saturn!!! I have a few cheaper lights that do this but it is only 1[One] ring of Saturn. My guess is something is wrong with the reflector and/or the emitter is off center? Whatever the reason that is definitely some type of defect.

As far as the unfocused hot spot and the distortion goes. My guess is that the Emitter is off center. Although when I examined it with the magnifying glass it seemed centered?

The Yellow tint?? Defective emitter?? Maybe a defective emitter is causing all of this, I don't know. There are people on here that know a lot more about this!

Getting back to my first line
, "Expectations beyond logic result in disappointment!" The lesson here for me is do not get too excited because no light or manufacturer is perfect!
I am not sure if I am going to give up on this light or not. Others who have this light and give me feedback will help.

So, has anyone had these "ISSUES" with the M3X? Feedback would be appreciated.

TIME IS YOURS!

Last edited:

wertzius

Newly Enlightened
Olight often uses LEDs with different not so cold bins. The yellowish tint is typical for that and not a result of a broken emitter.

Gesendet von meinem GT-N8000 mit Tapatalk 4

Theron

Newly Enlightened
I like yellow tints like my neutral Malkoffs and my Ready-Made, but I wouldn't like the Mickey Mouse ears or condensation.

What is the ambient temp where your lights are stored? It never gets cold where I live, so I have only seen the condensation issue once when I washed my PD35 with cold water and immediately put it on turbo. There was a little condensation that quickly disappeared and has never returned.

Capolini

Banned
Thanks for the replies.

As far as the "Yelowish" tint goes, I also could have lived with that. I do wish it was a cool white colored like the Olight M22 and all my other XM-L/XM-L2 torches as I mentioned in my "op".

I talked to the dealer and they told me the artifacts[Mickey Mouse ears] are a result of the design and NOT a flaw.Probably caused by the deep reflector along with the square die and round reflector?? I could have lived with that because when your shining the light in the darkness you do not see that. However, at the very edge of the beam profile when I am shining the light straight ahead, there are about 4 or 5 purple colored rings near my feet!! I could have lived with that also.

I know what the condensation is from after going through that with my TK-75. The head is not hermetically sealed.

That is the deal breaker and not acceptable to me and I am not going through the maintenance program that I had to with the TK-75!

Last edited:

Theron

Newly Enlightened
Even the best lights can have a very minor ring near the outer edge, but four or five colored rings is definitely a design flaw or a lemon.

Overclocker

Flashlight Enthusiast
it's normal to have funny looking "ears" around the hotspot on LARGE smooth reflector lights. you won's see them on your 40mm lights

shenzhen is very rainy on some months so condensation is normal. just operate the light head down until hot then place several baggies of silica gel on the battery tube. problem solved

Capolini

Banned
it's normal to have funny looking "ears" around the hotspot on LARGE smooth reflector lights. you won's see them on your 40mm lights

shenzhen is very rainy on some months so condensation is normal. just operate the light head down until hot then place several baggies of silica gel on the battery tube. problem solved

You are right about the Rabbit ears,,,others have told me that to. That can be overlooked, but 4 or 5 purple rings on the outside[maybe]. Condensation under the lens,,,,no way,a deal breaker as I indicated many times!

Right!! I realize that. I do the silica gel treatment for my TK-75. I wrote a thread about that! The only reason the condensation issue is "Normal" is The fact that the LIGHT IS NOT HERMETICALLY SEALED! :)

I proved that with the TK-75 and how silica gel removed it. Preliminary observation by me[dealer also suggested this] is that the same thing[not hermetically sealed] is going on here!

I am not going to collect lights with this issue.

Last edited:

Capolini

Banned
That would be a terrible light for white wall hunting!

Would it be terrible for real world use?

Good question! It depends how severe and common the condensation issue is with the M3X??

I sent it back. I do not want a light with condensation issues again!

The dealer is testing a few others. If he finds one that has no condensation issue after 20 minutes of high,,I will take it because it is a nice torch. However, I have learned from my TK-75 [replacement] that was tested at the dealers before they sent it to me[ negative results] because of this issue and when I got it,,,,,,,,,25 minutes into turbo,,,,,,,,,,condensation again!

Gentlemen,,,you never know!! ;)

Although acceptance may be the key, we all have different standards as to what that may entail! :thinking:

Last edited:

Capolini

Banned
That would be a terrible light for white wall hunting!

Would it be terrible for real world use?

Again, good question!!

You made me think which is not always a bad thing!!

Another way to answer your question!!

"There is a difference between perfectionism and settling[accepting] for defects!"

Razzle

Enlightened
Doesn't your TK75 have big 'ol Mickey Mouse ears around the perimeter on the hot spot, like mine does, while white wall hunting?

Capolini

Banned
Doesn't your TK75 have big 'ol Mickey Mouse ears around the perimeter on the hot spot, like mine does, while white wall hunting?

Yes it does.My bad for including the TK-75 with my smaller lights as wall shots that did not have the ears.

However, the TK-75 beam is more focused and it is cool white not yellowish like my car head lights!

Also, it does not have 4 or 5 purple rings of Saturn on the outer most part of the beam! Something is wrong there. My guess is it is the reflector or maybe an off centered LED??

I have learned from the dealer and on here that the Mickey Mouse ears are a result of the design,not a flaw.

The condensation issue is a flaw to me that I will not accept. The other stuff I could live with and accept.

Overclocker

Flashlight Enthusiast
condensation is from TRAPPED moisture INSIDE the flashlight during ASSEMBLY. as i said shenzhen is very humid during certain months. yes thats the place where flashlights are made

if you think your flashlight is leaking then relube the orings then dunk it in water. if water gets inside then it has a defect so return it!

Capolini

Banned
condensation is from TRAPPED moisture INSIDE the flashlight during ASSEMBLY. as i said shenzhen is very humid during certain months. yes thats the place where flashlights are made

if you think your flashlight is leaking then relube the orings then dunk it in water. if water gets inside then it has a defect so return it!

That [ trapped in from manufacturing] CAN BE a reason!

However, as I indicated before with my experience with the TK-75,,,,,,,,,,the head most likely is NOT hermetically sealed!! That is why condensation kept building after IT WAS REMOVED BY SILICA GEL!! I have to continually maintain the light that way!! Moisture keeps getting in once it is taken out!

p.s. please take the time to read my thread below. It explained by people very well. there is a difference between a light being sealed in regards to waterproofing and being "hermetically" sealed in regards to being air tight!

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...ensation-Fog-under-lens-again-quot&highlight=

p.s. The torch was sent back yesterday!!

I apologize but I get frustrated when people do not read the op and what others have said in regards to the problem and the solution!

Have a nice weekend!

Last edited:

NorthernStar

Enlightened
Sorry to hear that you experienced this issue with you M3X! :sigh:

So far none of the Olights that i own has shown any sign of this issue, but then i don´t have any larger ones than my S20 and S20-L2,which can not be compared with a large flashlight such the M3X which is built in a completely different way and belongs to a different category of flashlights.

The M3X is just like the TK75 not hermeticaly sealed. The thread "Condensation/Fog under lens,again" that you provided a link to explains the issue quite well. I think that if you asked Olight directly what causing the issue, i think that you will receive the same answer as that Fenix gives about what causes the condensation and how to deal with it. The explanation you probably will receive is that the condensation does not come from the factory process and that the head of the flashlight is not hermetically sealed from the rest of the light so when it is opened for replacing batteries air will exchange from the outside and be trapped in the light once closed,and therefore condensation can form.

Just by curiosity and to exclude a possible factor causing the issue,i would like to ask a question. Have you opened and therefore exposed your M3X to humidity when changing batteries in the light outdoors on a rainy day,or opended the light in a noticeable humid environment when changing batteries, so moisture could have sneaked in?

Btw, 4 or 5 purple rings of Saturn on the outer most part of the beam does not sound good. Those rings is probably not been caused by the condensation,but i think that sending the light back for replacement was the right thing to do.

Regarding the yellow tint you are describing, on my Olight S20-L2 with a XM-L2 diod i´ve found it has slightly warmer tint than other lights with XM-L2 diods that are more whiter in comparison, but i would not describe it as yellow. On the opposite, on my Olight I1EOS the tint is clearly yellow, but that light has the old XML-U2 emitter, so in that case it is expected to be so.

Capolini

Banned
Sorry to hear that you experienced this issue with you M3X! :sigh:

So far none of the Olights that i own has shown any sign of this issue, but then i don´t have any larger ones than my S20 and S20-L2,which can not be compared with a large flashlight such the M3X which is built in a completely different way and belongs to a different category of flashlights.

The M3X is just like the TK75 not hermeticaly sealed. The thread "Condensation/Fog under lens,again" that you provided a link to explains the issue quite well. I think that if you asked Olight directly what causing the issue, i think that you will receive the same answer as that Fenix gives about what causes the condensation and how to deal with it. The explanation you probably will receive is that the condensation does not come from the factory process and that the head of the flashlight is not hermetically sealed from the rest of the light so when it is opened for replacing batteries air will exchange from the outside and be trapped in the light once closed,and therefore condensation can form.

Just by curiosity and to exclude a possible factor causing the issue,i would like to ask a question. Have you opened and therefore exposed your M3X to humidity when changing batteries in the light outdoors on a rainy day,or opended the light in a noticeable humid environment when changing batteries, so moisture could have sneaked in?

Btw, 4 or 5 purple rings of Saturn on the outer most part of the beam does not sound good. Those rings is probably not been caused by the condensation,but i think that sending the light back for replacement was the right thing to do.

Regarding the yellow tint you are describing, on my Olight S20-L2 with a XM-L2 diod i´ve found it has slightly warmer tint than other lights with XM-L2 diods that are more whiter in comparison, but i would not describe it as yellow. On the opposite, on my Olight I1EOS the tint is clearly yellow, but that light has the old XML-U2 emitter, so in that case it is expected to be so.

You are right David!!, Same issue and reason[not hermetically sealed] as the TK-75!!!

I only used the torch for an hour! It was 44F[7 Celsius?] outside. Not a humid environment,crisp and clear!

The condensation was the "Major problem" w/ 4 or 5 purple rings as secondary. The tint I could have lived with!

Even the Dealer[ he was from China originally] said the head was NOT hermetically sealed.

They already have the light and I will be refunded tomorrow.

I have another dealer checking his Olight M3X torches to see if it passes the test. I told him I would buy one if there was NO condensation after 25 minutes of high and NO 4 or 5 rings of Saturn!!

I think I am crazy :eek: because even if it passes the test in North Carolina, that does not mean I will not see condensation!! The reason I say this is because Fenix Outfitters tested a TK-75. They said it passed!! I get it and 30, 40 minutes into Turbo and condensation formed!! So I have been doing the silica gel treatment ever since with 90% success rate!

What I do not want to do or start is a torch laboratory with a collection of lights that need the "Silica Gel treatment"!! :crackup:

David, in all sincerity[don't get a big head!] you are one of the nicest, knowledgeable and easiest going gentlemen on this forum! ;)

Last edited:

NorthernStar

Enlightened
You are right David!!, Same issue and reason[not hermetically sealed] as the TK-75!!!

I only used the torch for an hour! It was 44F[7 Celsius?] outside. Not a humid environment,crisp and clear!

The condensation was the "Major problem" w/ 4 or 5 purple rings as secondary. The tint I could have lived with!

Even the Dealer[ he was from China originally] said the head was NOT hermetically sealed.

They already have the light and I will be refunded tomorrow.

I have another dealer checking his Olight M3X torches to see if it passes the test. I told him I would buy one if there was NO condensation after 25 minutes of high and NO 4 or 5 rings of Saturn!!

I think I am crazy :eek: because even if it passes the test in North Carolina, that does not mean I will not see condensation!! The reason I say this is because Fenix Outfitters tested a TK-75. They said it passed!! I get it and 30, 40 minutes into Turbo and condensation formed!! So I have been doing the silica gel treatment ever since with 90% success rate!

What I do not want to do or start is a torch laboratory with a collection of lights that need the "Silica Gel treatment"!! :crackup:

David, in all sincerity[don't get a big head!] you are one of the nicest, knowledgeable and easiest going gentlemen on this forum! ;)

Thank you for the very kind words,Roberto! :) Don´t worry, i will not get a big head !

I always try to do my best to help others and to keep a good and friendly atmosphere at the forums. This is what the forums is all about- learning from eachother and behave nice and and have a fun time.

Regarding your self Roberto,i´ve find you to be one of the nicest and straightforward guys on this Forum!:) It´s always fun and interesting to speak to you either in threads or in PM.

Rearding that the M3X you used it outside in the temperature of 44F[7 Celsius?] outside,and there was not a humid environment,crisp and clear! Well then i can´t explained why condensation gets in side of the light! This is truly a mystery.:thinking:

Lets hope that the next M3X that you will receive and that has been tested possitive by the dealer saying not condensation has merged is right about that, and that the next M3X you will receive will not have any 4-5 extra saturnus rings and will not form any condensations under the lens! Please keep us informed when you receive you new light and have tested it and tell us how it performed!

Capolini

Banned
Thank you for the very kind words,Roberto! :) Don´t worry, i will not get a big head !

I always try to do my best to help others and to keep a good and friendly atmosphere at the forums. This is what the forums is all about- learning from eachother and behave nice and and have a fun time.

Regarding your self Roberto,i´ve find you to be one of the nicest and straightforward guys on this Forum!:) It´s always fun and interesting to speak to you either in threads or in PM.

Rearding that the M3X you used it outside in the temperature of 44F[7 Celsius?] outside,and there was not a humid environment,crisp and clear! Well then i can´t explained why condensation gets in side of the light! This is truly a mystery.:thinking:

Lets hope that the next M3X that you will receive and that has been tested possitive by the dealer saying not condensation has merged is right about that, and that the next M3X you will receive will not have any 4-5 extra saturnus rings and will not form any condensations under the lens! Please keep us informed when you receive you new light and have tested it and tell us how it performed!

I am hoping for the best also!

I communicated back and forth about 10 emails with a New dealer!!! He said he has sold many with none of my issues!! Do I believe him?? I am not sure!

Anyway, he tested several lights on high and said there was no condensation nor any "Rings of Saturn"!! He is sending me one of those. I should have it Thursday or Friday.

I will post the results after I use it for the first time.