Which drill bits for a reflector?

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast
I need to drill the center hole in a couple plastic reflectors larger using either my Dremel or my corded handheld drill. I have no drill bits for the Dremel, and a standard set of general purpose bits for the corded drill.

Will the general purpose drill bits get the job done successfully, or is there some other type of drill bit that would be a better choice? I don't want to botch the reflectors because I used the wrong bits. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Scott,

The problem with some of the soft plastics is that the drill wants to become a lead screw and just screw into the plastic instead of cutting sometimes. There are some stepped bits called uni-bits and now there are some knock offs of these. They are great for concentric holes in soft materials as well as thin materials and metal. I use them all the time and have found that they are great on reflectors; both plastic and metal. They are fine in a hand drill.

lambda

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yep, what Don said.

Hand drill with a 7/32 bit; maybe starting with smaller bits and working up to the 7/32 depending on how small the original hole is.