Paypal spoof mail warning!

Chris M.

Flashlight Enthusiast
Recieved a message this morning claiming to be from Paypal.com, and telling me my account would expire in 5 days if I didn`t update my personal information. And in order to do that, I was then prompted to open an accompanying attachment.

I didn`t open the attachment - it had a double *.com.scr extension which screamed *worm* at me. The whole message was forwarded to spoof(at)paypal(dot)com, and I then checked online at the secure Paypal site to see everything was OK, which it was. Just a warning to be careful of spoof messages!

If you recieve one of these messages, *don`t* open the attachment and *don`t* give them any personal information. Just forward it to spoof(at)paypal(dot)com and delete it. If you get one that looks legit but you`re not sure, go to https://paypal.com , log in to your account and if they *do* want anything from you, it`ll say so on screen.

Stay safe,

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
These are organized thieves doing this, and it is rampant this time of year. Same sort of thing happens with eBay. I ignore them and delete them.

shiftd

Flashlight Enthusiast
yep

worst thing you can get of deleting email from PP (if it is the actual PP email) is being sent another one in a coupla of days. But the worst thing that could happen when you actually fall to the trap is unimaginable. Practically all of your time will fall there. So, follow Chris's advice. If you receive e mail from PP or Ebay, read the mail, DON'T open the attachment. then open a new browser, go to paypal website and enter till you arrive in your home. If you are asked to do anything, it will say so there!!!
Also, remember that Ebay and PP will not ask you for your password or personal info!

Chris, good info /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast
The couple of different phoney PP emails were not anywhere near as nicely done as the eBay one I received. Oh this one looked really good!

I think part of the problem is I use to use my email addresses as ebay and PP account names. I changed my eBay account name, but didn't receive any advice in kind from PP.

I guess this is one reason I refuse to add my bank account to PP. God help me if they should get access to my bank account! I'd rather let the limit on my Credit Card and the credit card companies fraud detection sftw limit the damage. Not to mention federal law limits fraud damages.

You ought to see the mess my employers payroll firm makes to my Bank account when they screw things up, multiple deposits and withdrawals. Sometimes I wonder the wisdom of direct deposit as well.

GregR

keithhr

Flashlight Enthusiast
I will not link my bank account with paypal, I basically don't want a bunch of companies having direct links to my money.