20/32 LED drop-ins for C/D Mags...

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
Anyone have any experience with the 20 or 32 LED drop-ins meant for C/D Maglites? The seller "goldenpsx" sells them on eBay. I zipped over to Craig's site and didn't see any info on them, but we all know how much info is on Craig's site, so maybe I missed it?

TheFire

Enlightened
Don't know about anything on ebay, but I built a very nice one (36 leds, I think) that didn't throw worth beans, but was absolutely golden for close-up work and/or just walking around... a whole lot of light in a more or less forward direction... on ebay, I'd worry about having really cheap LEDs in it being overdriven in such a way that it changes color after an hour or two...

Big_Ed

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just bought both of them, and I found that the 20 LED is actually brighter than the 32 LED. Both are bright and the difference isn't a glaring one, but I was surprised. I guess the 20 LED may be brighter because there's not as many LED's there to take the available electricity. They don't throw very far, but for most indoor uses, and outdoor uses where throw is not an issue, I think they are great. If you are thinking of buying one, though, go for the 20 LED version. It's cheaper, a little brighter, and I bet the batteries will last a little longer.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
Somewhere around here, I have one of these Goldenpsx modules, but I honestly don't know where I put it. It was something I bought early this year, and it became lost or misplaced when I needed my 3-D Mag for an InReTECH module.

O wait... according to the thing on my website, it's only a 16-LED module. Not a 20 or 32-LED one like we're talking about here. Guess I can't be very helpful here, even if I do somehow find the module. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
Hmmmmmm...actually for my purposes (long run & general flood type beam), I'm thinking a LightWave 3000/4000 would actually be a better purchase?

DHCrocks

Newly Enlightened
Big_Ed,
how is the flood lighting aspect of this setup. I want to get something that would be good for close up work upto around 5 feet or so that has a bright, even lighting patern and nice white color that I could use for automotive repairs. It would need to be able to run all day on a set of batteries, how is the runtime? If you get the chance could you please check to see what the current drain is on this thing, I want something that burns for a long time. One more thing is it brighter on 3 cells or is 2 cells adequate?

Wolfen

Flashlight Enthusiast
DH,
Have you considered a luxeon star drop in sandwich for the mini-mag from Dat2zip's shoppe?

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
We're talking 3 or 4 - C/D cells in the big honker chassis..., not the AA mini-mag. My house is littered with those smaller ones! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

...and I'll add that I have an Elektro Lumens Tri-light as well as an InReTech Twilight...I'm interested in what sort of light/beam that these multiple 5mm LED modules can kick out (though I also have a LW3000 & a LW4000 now).

DHCrocks

Newly Enlightened
I have a Inretec AA it's a great small light that will last for hours on end, but not enough of a broad wide even light pattern for this application. I also have a SNII that is just redicously bright and too much of a spot for any close up work. I tried removing the mag reflector and this thing gives off a perfect flood light for close up work, but just too intense (hurts the eyes) and it gets hot and not enough run time. A Surefire e2e and c2 get too damn hot after a few minutes and the run time of 1 hour just doesn't cut it.

After all this I realize that a 2-C cell
(may be even a 3-C) sized mag would be the perfect size and form factor for me. I need something that will last me at least 8 hours or so, So I figure that a 1W, 3W or 5W LED is out of the equation so one of these 5mm led adapters may fit the bill. A D-cell light is just a bit too bulky and lights running off of 123's are too costly for the extended time that I need.

TheFire

Enlightened
I can't comment on runtime (having never done a test), but if you wanted something more fancy, you could put a current regulator in to get whatever runtime you need. I can't comment on the ebay modules, but the one that I built has the most perfect, artifact-free, smooth beam one could ever desire. It's also all the same color.

As long as you weren't too close (brightness issues here) it would be perfect for the automotive repair application if you regulated it to get the runtime you wanted...

Big_Ed

Flashlight Enthusiast
DH, These are for 3 or 4 cell lights, not 2 cell. They are very dim on 2 cells. The light has a slight blue shade to it, but it is a nice flood of light that would seem to me to be good for automotive work. As for runtime, I have not yet run it for a significant amount of time, but I would *assume* it would run for at least a day (someone please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong) with gradual decrease in brightness. I don't have any way to check current draw, and honestly wouldn't know how to.