modding knive handle - shape?

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
just got a two handed katana machete, and (unfortunately like with most of their products I have used) the handle of the the Cold Steel is way to big for my hands
(or my hands are too small)
;)

now I think of scraping/sanding the handle smaller but wonder about the shape ... to be able to identify the position of the cutting edge.

the handle is oval, I think of doing two different sized radius' up and down (to have an "easy gripable" "position" at the knife)
but is there any "general consensus" how the human hand works?
Will the smaller round better indicate the edge side, or ???
:thinking:

What do You think?

Haaammer

Newly Enlightened
For rhino if purposes, generally you would want the 'wider' side towards your palm', hence firearms now coming with replaceable palm swells. That being said, I would not make a wider side if reshaping a handle I owned because each hand will sit in a different position for different tasks. If I were to reduce the radius of the handle, equally all around to try and maintain original symmetry. If being able to tell which side is the cutting side via feel, consider texturing one side.

I guess I am lucky to have large hands, wouldn't have to do any of this... :shrug:

Skimo

Newly Enlightened
I think a two handed machete isn't really a machete anymore, but that's not what matters.

This is the polymer handle, yes?

If so, sandpaper, coarse sandpaper and patience, just worry about keeping it pretty round, once you have a comfortable size, start working the grit back up, probably stop at 600 grit, maybe 800.

Chances are you aren't going to get a perfect handle, it's a two handed swinging tool, look at other two handed swinging tools, usually smooth handles with a swell towards the base/butt, from hammers to axes, even hatchets and large kitchen knives.

Handle modification is one of the most personal things you can do to a tool, blade edges can be changed, but swells and shapes can't be (unless it's to be made smaller).